Experiences switching to hybrid rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
As I get older, I can't do some of the moves I used to do. For example, I can't move fast enough anymore to step around and loop an underspin ball with my forehand from my backhand corner. I have found that I need to adjust my playing style and strategies as the years weigh me down. One thing that seems to work is to slow the game down a bit: focus more on spin, less on speed, be patient, and place the ball more carefully. Play the angles. Practice more with serves and third ball attacks. Work on my backhand loops and flips.

To this end, I'm considering switching to Rakza Z on my forehand, instead of Rakza 7. I did try a friend's H3 and hated it - everything went into the net, and it would just take too much work to adjust my whole game to play with a new hard Chinese rubber. And I can't be bothered with boosting, either - too much of a hassle for an old guy set in his ways. Neither would I consider using long pips - that would require an entirely different skill set, and I don't have the patience or the time to learn a whole new style. I figure one of the new hybrid rubbers (Rakza Z, Sieger P50, K3, etc.) may not require so much adjustment of technique, and may give me more spin, control, and help slow down the game a little. I'm not looking for radical changes, just incremental adjustments.

So, my question for the group is: do any of the older players have actual experience switching from a Euro/Japanese non-tacky rubber to one of the new hybrids? I've read about some people who changed for a while, then went back to non-tacky. Why? Are there others who have made the change permanent? Does it take a lot of adjustment in technique? Is it an expensive change, because the durability of hybrid rubbers is less, and you have to buy new rubbers more frequently (my Rakza 7's last me 7-8 months)? Is it a hassle to have to treat the hybrid rubbers with cleaners (like REvolution No. 3 or similar) often to keep them tacky?

I'm not looking for a discussion of "rubber x is better than rubber y" kind of thing. I just want to hear from people who have real life experience making the switch to hybrids, and can talk about it in broad terms. Thank you in advance for sharing your experiences!

This user has no status.

i tried the Bluegrip s2 for a while,which is considered a Hybrid with a soft sponge,the problem is it is not a new sponge. It is the Acuda S2 sponge and only the Topsheet is somewhat Tacky,but nowhere near as a chines tacky rubber,and i think the composition doen´t mesh well. I didn´t play it long enough cause i switched back to the normal ACuda s2,other Hybrids are alot harder spongewise. Maybe the Bluegrip S1 which comes out soon will fit your bill,but keep in mind that they used the sponge from Acuda S1 and also only renewed the topsheet. I am also a bit older 40+ and therefore tried it,the most people that play STicky Rubbers are accustumed to them,Skyline etc.. The only players who switched from grippy to tacky did so years ago and mainly where lp players and just switched to sticky on FH. On Bh i don´t know anyone sry.

Reactions: Tono62
says Spin, Spin, more spin :)
Jul 2022
Nowadays I am using RAKZA Z on my forhand and I would say that it helped me a lot about control and generate more spin on attacks. Somehow I don't know why it has more energy absorbing ability at blocking. In the beginning I was thinking that if it generates more spin so I will be effected from oppenent's spins but no. My game has more control now. And the price of RAKZA Z is affordable. Give it a try. 😉

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I think trying Rakza Z or some of the hybrids could work - I'm 40 next year and I just cant move as quick to play an all out speed fest with some of the juniors or younger players - but I can be in the game or pick up wins with spin and placement - still with an attacking game - just not bang - bang - bang.
D09c on my FH has helped and have been using T05fx on the BH with a mindset on spin. A slow spin loop from my FH to their BH as im a leftie can cause problems for instance, and D09c has helped with this.
Rakza Z is something Im looking at as an alternative as D09c is so expensive - but it does last a while.

Jul 2022
I think trying Rakza Z or some of the hybrids could work - I'm 40 next year and I just cant move as quick to play an all out speed fest with some of the juniors or younger players - but I can be in the game or pick up wins with spin and placement - still with an attacking game - just not bang - bang - bang.
D09c on my FH has helped and have been using T05fx on the BH with a mindset on spin. A slow spin loop from my FH to their BH as im a leftie can cause problems for instance, and D09c has helped with this.
Rakza Z is something Im looking at as an alternative as D09c is so expensive - but it does last a while.

Very good. I have tried D09c before. RAKZA Z has a lot more control. With D09c sometimes you can miss the table if you want to play near the table. FYKI.

Reactions: Tono62 and jammmail
says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
I also 50+ and changed to Joola Rhyzen ZGR. It is the a tamed down version of the Dynaryz series (similar to the RAKZA Z from what I read). Price/Performance is excellent and the transfer from Xiom Omega 7 Pro and Tibhar MX-D was easy. Spin generation is much easier and control is excellent. For me one of the most underrated rubbers. Since I would have loved a coloured version of it, I'm now testing the new DHS Hurricane 9, which so far has almost the same characteristics. As you I could not really cope with the regular DHS Hurricane or SkyLine series, but H9 seems to be different.

Reactions: Tipiak and Tono62
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
OK... mixed responses, as I expected, but more responses from people who are happy having made the switch. I suppose it's worth a try, although I'm in no rush, and I'm not unhappy with my current setup. I might just try it on an alternate bat sometime in the next couple of months, and see how it goes.

Thanks everybody for your input.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
OK... mixed responses, as I expected, but more responses from people who are happy having made the switch. I suppose it's worth a try, although I'm in no rush, and I'm not unhappy with my current setup. I might just try it on an alternate bat sometime in the next couple of months, and see how it goes.

Sounds like a sensible plan - which isn't always guaranteed on this forum :)
I would try one - i think you will like it if you give it a bit of time - at least 5/6 sessions min, i feel a lot of balls that would usually shoot off the end if im out of position a bit drop on with good spin.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

Just to add confusion here is a not happy with the switch perspective. I'm 53 and small and weak besides being old. I switched to tacky for help in the short game because my defense sucks and better players always get the first attack off serve and receive. I used battle 2 and hurricane 8 (boosted and unboosted) and also tested H3 and D09c. I used the tacky stuff for more than a year and played fine, but the sad fact is hard sponged rubbers require even more fitness and exertion. So I would not recommend the switch for anyone looking to adapt their game to their aging body.

All the changes you talked about -- more focus on spin and placement, less power and speed, strengthen the backhand strokes -- can be done using your Cegna & Rakza 7 setup. And you won't lose time (which has more value when you're old) adjusting to the Rakza Z, and probably ejing a little bit more as we all do. You could go straight into the tactical adjustments with equipment you already know.

Just my advice.

I'm using Rozena on fh now btw (short pips bh). Rozena has clear strengths and weaknesses relative to B2/H8. I mostly have to forget about fh short receives and just get ready to block or counter. But Jesus is it so much easier to play quality shots from off balance. And that's reality, I'm not getting any faster or more graceful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

All the changes you talked about -- more focus on spin and placement, less power and speed, strengthen the backhand strokes -- can be done using your Cegna & Rakza 7 setup. And you won't lose time (which has more value when you're old) adjusting to the Rakza Z, and probably ejing a little bit more as we all do. You could go straight into the tactical adjustments with equipment you already know.

Just my advice.

Or as a poet put it: "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth."

Thanks for the advice, Brs.

• Haha
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl