Finally tried boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Thanks for your reply. However I hate to be a pain as I am curious by nature. This still does not answer my question as to why boosting is illegal .
Also you said it matters only in sanctioned tournaments. I do not know what a "sanctioned" tournament is, but assuming I do, I would still ask how they check if a player has boosted his or her racket.
Also it seems you assume I understand many of the terms you use lbut I don't but it is ok for now. but for now to start with slowly, I am most curious as to why boosting is illegal

Currently there's no way to detect if there's a booster applied to the rubber, the only things checked are VOC, thickness (4mm including top sheet and sponge), uniformity (no weird bumps, tears, cuts, missing multiple pips, etc.). And if your equipment didn't go over the limit, it's legal.

To me however, I don't think boosting is illegal, which is why I use it. IMO, it's the same as wiping the rubber with a cleaning solution to wipe off dust and/or other debris. Here's something to think about: Is the cleaning solution a chemical? Of course it is, in fact anything you see is a form of chemical, we humans are essentially a combination of chemical compounds. Does the cleaning solution improve the playability of the rubber? Of course it does, why else would you clean it? And I argue that boosters are technically called solubility bond, at least the Haifu branded ones are, so technically it's categorized as adhesive or otherwise known as "glue".

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Boosting is illegal because of ITTF Rule 2.4.7.

Thank you all so very much for trying to explain. I checked the ITTF rulebook & it did say above rule.

But since my English is so bad. may be I did not ask the question correctly.
It is my silly fault. I apologize.

What I meant to ask was NOT "what" the rule is . What I meant to ask was as to "why" the rule 2.4.7 was passed by ITTF in the first place to begin with

Thanks
PS sorry about the correction about NOT "what"

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

I apologize, but I am not sure which one of your above two posts to believe. In your first post you clearly state & explain that boosting is illegal per ITTF rule but a day later you say you do not "think" boosting is illegal & say you do it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
Well I haven't played with it yet, but just tried glueing the H3Neo to my blade and bouncing it. I only put 1 very very thin layer of booster on the rubber and stopped at that because it curled so much, but just from bouncing it I can see that there is basically no change to the bounce or feeling. It doesn't feel faster or bouncier.

Should I put more booster on it?

Did you play with it before boosting your notice there’s no change?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I apologize, but I am not sure which one of your above two posts to believe. In your first post you clearly state & explain that boosting is illegal per ITTF rule but a day later you say you do not "think" boosting is illegal & say you do it.

Hmm, which part of it you don't understand?

In the first post, I never said anything about not using it myself, all I ever said is that ITTF rule says it's illegal, and you should not use it in sanctioned tournaments as that will be going against the rules. But in non-sanctioned matches no one cares.

In the second post I responded to your question, listed the things ITTF checks for, and I also added my personal opinion why I use boosters.

Please let me know which part of it is contradicting itself.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
listed the things ITTF checks for,

I don't remember asking for a list of things ITTF checks because I do not even know "why" ITTF checks for them to start with (not what the rule 2.4.7 is but "why" the rule was made by ITTF & why & how you choose to break that rule) , but neither you nor anyone else answered. But that is OK. I do not want to upset anyone . I was just trying to understand this thing from the beginning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Which Booster did you buy to apply? Looking to try and revive my 729 Battle II 😁

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015

I don't remember asking for a list of things ITTF checks because I do not even know "why" ITTF checks for them to start with (not what the rule 2.4.7 is but "why" the rule was made by ITTF & why & how you choose to break that rule) , but neither you nor anyone else answered. But that is OK. I do not want to upset anyone . I was just trying to understand this thing from the beginning.

It isn't actually boosting specifically that is illegal. It is treating your rubber with any substance or in any way after it leaves the manufacturer. There used to be a type of glue called speed glue. As the name says it made the rubber faster. Unfortunately speed glue also contained volatile compounds that are not super healthy to inhale. That was the stated reason for ITTF to ban speed glue, health concerns. But when they made the rule, ITTF didn't just say, "No speed glue any more." They said “The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.” So if you play with long pimples and want to microwave them to make them frictionless, that is also illegal. It's a physical treatment of a rubber. Boosting is a chemical treatment, so illegal in an ITTF tournament, or according to the rules of most national associations.

There are some rubbers that are designed to be boosted and are somewhat difficult to play without it. There are a much larger set of rubbers that are not at all meant to be boosted and would not respond well to it. It's unnecessary to boost unless you either are bored and want to try something new, or insist on using one of the few rubbers that are made to be boosted.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

The real reasons for the rule are financial. If ITTF allows boosting, then players can use less expensive rubbers and use rubbers for longer before changing. The TT companies pay ITTF for the ITTF approval that is listed on the rubbers. So ITTF makes money from each rubber sold. And TT companies make money from each rubber sold.

Why do I think this is the reason for them changing the rule. When ITTF banned speed glue they also banned boosting. When they did this, they said the reason was that the VOCs in Speed Glue were hazardous to your health. Now, that is true. But if what they cared about was the health of TT players, why would they also ban substances that were NOT HAZARDOUS TO OUR HEALTH. :)

I don't think it matters. If you are playing for yourself and your own enjoyment, I think people can do what they want whether that is boosting or not boosting.

I used to boost. In my opinion it is a big hassle. So, these days I buy rubbers I don't feel need to be boosted, glue the rubbers on and play them till I feel it is time to change rubbers. But I also remember when i found it fun to experiment and explore how to boost and what methods of boosting would give me the best results. I am just too busy for that these days and it is not interesting to me anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Ehh, you were asking "Why is boosting illegal in the first place? And if many players do it anyway, is there no penalty or reperussions ? How do they check the racket to see if it has been boosted?"

And my post was a direct answer to all those questions: it is illegal because the rule says so, and the list of the things they check for is how they check...

As for your current question, why is there a rule for that, um... why are there rules for any sport? Trying to keep things fair for everyone that participate of course, and trying to keep it as civil as possible while still providing a good show. At least that's what the rule maker thinks they're trying to do.

Just incase you have further questions, the reason for why people argue about why boosting is legal or not is because the rule itself is just a bit too vague. They did not define what counts as "chemical or physical" treatments, since gluing the rubber to the blade itself is both a chemical and physical treatment, because you need to glue (chemical) and cut (physical) the rubber. And since booster is an adhesive like I said before, it can be considered part of the gluing process, so unless they specify the specific chemical compound that is not allowed, or specify the only chemical that is allowed, there's no way to check or ban boosting. But if you were caught putting boosters on your rubbers, let's say right in front of a referee, I'm pretty sure your paddle will be ruled as illegal.

Also, what carl said up stairs ^^ Do whatever you want when you play as long as it makes you happy, there are people who enforce the rules and let them deal with all the other crap, if they say your equipment is fine, then it is fine no matter what you put on there, but at the same time, if they say your equipment is illegal, don't argue because that'll get you kicked out of the match.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Speed glue is kind of hard to come by if you’re in the states, and rubber looses the “speed” rather quickly, and people know high VOC is harmful to your health.

Not actually. It is just hard to come by glue that is labeled Speed Glue by TT companies.

https://gemplers.com/products/rema-tip-top-cold-vulcanizing-cement-50-gm-tube?currency=USD&variant=21170400460889&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_content=https://gemplers.com/products/rema-tip-top-cold-vulcanizing-cement-50-gm-tube%3Fcurrency%3DUSD%26variant%3D21170400460889%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_campaign%3DGoogle%2520Shopping&utm_term=shopify_US_2042928889945_21170400460889&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi-Ce9AiReWrcEnDMwf_FpuEK-HQd4xNhHhKgXleHTfoqEmYKTtvatxoCfGgQAvD_BwE

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/tip-top-vulcanizing-tube-5gr/137172473/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=8740857&country=us&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi-05_fSQcOXQ8gn7Dfbeen1ZP51IoqsafTKOz--WuFIbrCbqa1jEaBoCWwAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Above are two links. Both are basically what was originally used when TT players realized that certain kinds of glue enhanced the performance of the rubber. Pretty much any kind of Vulcanizing Cement that is used for Tire Repair, will work as speed glue.

But it is really bad for you. And, in my opinion, it is a waste of time to have to take your rubbers off and reglue them every time you play. Because speed glue does not last for more than one playing session.

When people used to speed glue they would take their rubbers off and then reglue every time they played.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Not actually. It is just hard to come by glue that is labeled Speed Glue by TT companies.

https://gemplers.com/products/rema-tip-top-cold-vulcanizing-cement-50-gm-tube?currency=USD&variant=21170400460889&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_content=https://gemplers.com/products/rema-tip-top-cold-vulcanizing-cement-50-gm-tube%3Fcurrency%3DUSD%26variant%3D21170400460889%26utm_medium%3Dcpc%26utm_source%3Dgoogle%26utm_campaign%3DGoogle%2520Shopping&utm_term=shopify_US_2042928889945_21170400460889&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi-Ce9AiReWrcEnDMwf_FpuEK-HQd4xNhHhKgXleHTfoqEmYKTtvatxoCfGgQAvD_BwE

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/tip-top-vulcanizing-tube-5gr/137172473/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=8740857&country=us&gclid=CjwKCAjwxOCRBhA8EiwA0X8hi-05_fSQcOXQ8gn7Dfbeen1ZP51IoqsafTKOz--WuFIbrCbqa1jEaBoCWwAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Above are two links. Both are basically what was originally used when TT players realized that certain kinds of glue enhanced the performance of the rubber. Pretty much any kind of Vulcanizing Cement that is used for Tire Repair, will work as speed glue.

But it is really bad for you. And, in my opinion, it is a waste of time to have to take your rubbers off and reglue them every time you play. Because speed glue does not last for more than one playing session.

When people used to speed glue they would take their rubbers off and then reglue every time they played.

Exactly, you need to know what to look for, hence hard to come by because most people don’t know that lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I think I will play with the lightly boosted rubber for a few sessions, and then re-boost it with more significant layers to see if it speeds up the rubber.

I think previously treating it with baby oil may have dampened the booster effect as well, as it made the sponge soft once already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Just spoke to a guy that claims to be an umpire. He said they don't check for tuning (boosting) and it is allowed.
They only check for thickness and if racket is suspicious they send it to the lab where they can check if speed glue is used.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
So i finally got to play with the lightly boosted rubber, and to my surprise there is a huge difference. You cant tell just by bouncing it, but when you loop, it feels 20% faster and much more lively.

Especially on backhand opening loops, the rubber is so much easier to use. It grips and lifts the ball better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So i finally got to play with the lightly boosted rubber, and to my surprise there is a huge difference. You cant tell just by bouncing it, but when you loop, it feels 20% faster and much more lively.

Especially on backhand opening loops, the rubber is so much easier to use. It grips and lifts the ball better.
So......as a few people said, real boosting is different than trying to "boost" with baby oil? Is that correct? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
So......as a few people said, real boosting is different than trying to "boost" with baby oil? Is that correct? :)

Yes, baby oil does make rubber softer and easier to play with. But booster makes it way faster.

My bh opening loop went from 45% consistent to 80% consistent. It was really obvious to my practice partner too.