Head size and form of the blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello! I think i have rather long fingers and sometimes i feel like my forefinger are to long for the rubber.

I understand that the most common width is 150 but some blades is 152 cm? will i feel any difference?

Are there other blades with bigger head size that are for offensive players?

Are there different forms of the head? more long or wider?

I have also noticed that the tall russian Skachkov have bigger rubbers due to this reason? But must be rules against to big overhang.

Interested to hear you thought. Have a nice weekend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I use a blade which is 150 and certainly have blades and used some qiute wider-153 and even more. I don't think the wider blade would give any benefit for longer fingers. Maybe the shape of the wings may have some impact, but imo this is too much of a change. For example I have a Nimatsu Maestro which is ultra wide in the wings and I saw that it has pretty much identical shape with the old Joola Wing models. These blades play very differently...
I would suggest you trying a blade with a bigger handle e.g. Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hello! I think i have rather long fingers and sometimes i feel like my forefinger are to long for the rubber.

I understand that the most common width is 150 but some blades is 152 cm? will i feel any difference?

Are there other blades with bigger head size that are for offensive players?

Are there different forms of the head? more long or wider?

I have also noticed that the tall russian Skachkov have bigger rubbers due to this reason? But must be rules against to big overhang.

Interested to hear you thought. Have a nice weekend.

152 mm may not even considered small, It is a compact blade.
Small blade is about 155 mm
Semi- large blade is over 158 mm
Large blade is 163 mm+
Joola & Tibhar have some recreational fcatory assembled rubbers that are may be 170 mm
They have long pips that are large in size but not smooth rubber. I can't find even 165 mm
Dr.Neubauer has some large blades. Some of their blades are longer compared to width.

I have not seen any large offensive blades and not even defensive blades. All so called defensive blades like Matsushita etc are actually semi-large on the larger side but not large,. One of the best semi-large blades I have used is Hallmark Combination Ultra

Offensive players (close to table) prefer smaller heads because they need quick hand movements & also use wristy strokes
Mid distance players can use semi-large blades as they have little more time
Defensive far away from table players can (or must) use large blades for maximum spin (usually back spin but for chopping but can also be lobbing with top spin) .

As you may know many J-Pen & K-Pen blades are rectangular (taller than wider) . I never understood why.
Of course they have the cyber shape blade now fro Stiga . I have not still understood this either.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi Lula,

You could go 'full out yakuza' style and just take off the end of your forefinger at the tip knuckle, with a very sharp blade, wrap it in a hankie and offer it to your coach as penance for making too many errors, but I guess this really isn't an option!!!😂

Having fairly stubby fingers, I don't suffer with that feeling!!! as Kolev says the head width may not really have much effect, maybe a thicker handle? adding a few wraps of grip tape? could be an option, you could wrap a few layers around 'loose' without sticking as a tester, but if you like the handle as it is, and it's only the forefinger that is giving a feeling you don't want, then playing with the hand thickness may not be the answer either.
Perhaps one of those 'ergonomic' offset handle blades could be considered, but again, would that type of blade be to your liking?

I don't think the rules make reference to the shape of the blade, so you could get a blade made with a shape that allows the forefinger to fully rest of the blade/rubber, Perhaps a PM to Hipnotic (SDC) is a good shout. he may have come across this before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

I have had similar issues. To me, the handle, wings and lower part of the blade face is important for me to get a functional grip. I have ordered from Hipnotic several times. Firstly with focus on a larger handle but thereafter with attention given to the wings and lower part of the blade face.

There are some, although not too many, commercially avaliable blades with larger handle/wings. In my experience Tibhar seems to making the blades most suited for larger hands. Bear in mind that I’m playing with straight handles. For other shapes this might not be applicable.