How 2023 🏓 is going so far

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hi @brokenball I have a friend player with similar pain, and He's getting better with a Chiropractor.
Did you try something like that?. I hate to play with any pain, because is like to play with "BRAKES"
My best wishes to you and get better.
I tried a physical therapist. It was a waste of time/money. He seemed to be more concerned about my posture.
I am taking gabepentin to kill/reduce the nerve pain. Gabepentin is usually used for shingles but it work to kill nerve pain in general. I just wonder if there are other adverse effects. There are always adverse effects it seems.

I know about "BRAKES"

This user has no status.
so January is already almost past us in 2023.
i had already 2 tournaments this year. on Jan7th, i wasn't ready at all, although i had played 2-3 times before the tournament, i hadn't trained properly and was out of condition after going back to Europe, still some jet lag and 3 weeks without touching a racket. lost a lot of matches that i could have won and my level was pretty poor especially compared to last November.

Then i started to recover physically and I'm in much a better condition, although not yet at my best yet.
Today at a tournament, i was playing in Doubles with my friend Eric, and after winning our group we lost 0-3 (-6 -6 -8) to the eventual winners which were much stronger. We learnt plenty and hope we'll do better next time.

In singles, in a group of 3, i won my first match 3-2. I should win this more easily, but thats the way it is. still too many stupid mistakes but OTOH there were a lot of quality shots/ rallies, I was always ahead, and it always felt the match result depended more on me than the other guy, and i didn't choke.

in the second match, its a younger guy that i've beaten only once in many training matches, and not played for a while. his main quality is his consistency, a bit of variation with his short pips BH, and good underspin pushes. i was the better player for more than 50% of the match, leading 10-7 in G3, we were 1 game all then. I didn't choke but i got a bit more tense, and lost 2 long rallies at 10-8 when he was serving and my receives weren't very good quality compared to what i did during the game, and i was in passive mode, a bit too far from the table, and missed the counter attack twice. i don't blame myself much for those end of set tactical choices, but I regret more the beginning of G3 where i was 3-0 up with momentum and lost with little reason the next 3 points.

However there was no reason to lose G4 so badly 2-11, worse its like i gave up at 2-8. i gave him the match too easily, why ???? :eek::eek:

----
so first of all, for 2023, im making a big change as i bought a new racket with new rubbers. going from Nittaku Acoustic Inner + T80 (1.9) + D80 (1.9) to Tibhar Kenta Matsudaira Carbon + Tibhar Hybrid MK (max) + Tibhar Hybrid K3 (max). i don't change often at all my setup, i've been playing with the same for more than 4 years, so its a bit of a change. but i've tried the new setup once and had a great session with it, i train a lot and feel it would be beneficial to my game.

I think i've improved quite a bit with all the training and coaching i received in the last few years, but it doesn't show so much in the tournament results because I haven't been working enough on the skills that make you perform well in match (like serving / receiving / 3rd ball) but more on footwork, technique, FH/BH transition for example.
I've started to work much more on the match skills (serving / receiving / 3rd ball) from last year only. i can see some improvements but there's more work to be more consistent with this in match.
so now matches are like: some very very good quality stuff, alternating with stupid mistakes and some holes in the game still.

I still believe that despite my age (50) if i can make the effort to keep a good physical condition by doing running / swimming / gym etc... outside TT , then i still have some better days of TT ahead. the goal for 2023 is to get more consistent in serving / receiving / 3rd ball and win more matches. I hope i will contribute to the team doing well and we can get in higher divisions

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014
so January is already almost past us in 2023.
i had already 2 tournaments this year. on Jan7th, i wasn't ready at all, although i had played 2-3 times before the tournament, i hadn't trained properly and was out of condition after going back to Europe, still some jet lag and 3 weeks without touching a racket. lost a lot of matches that i could have won and my level was pretty poor especially compared to last November.

Then i started to recover physically and I'm in much a better condition, although not yet at my best yet.
Today at a tournament, i was playing in Doubles with my friend Eric, and after winning our group we lost 0-3 (-6 -6 -8) to the eventual winners which were much stronger. We learnt plenty and hope we'll do better next time.

In singles, in a group of 3, i won my first match 3-2. I should win this more easily, but thats the way it is. still too many stupid mistakes but OTOH there were a lot of quality shots/ rallies, I was always ahead, and it always felt the match result depended more on me than the other guy, and i didn't choke.

in the second match, its a younger guy that i've beaten only once in many training matches, and not played for a while. his main quality is his consistency, a bit of variation with his short pips BH, and good underspin pushes. i was the better player for more than 50% of the match, leading 10-7 in G3, we were 1 game all then. I didn't choke but i got a bit more tense, and lost 2 long rallies at 10-8 when he was serving and my receives weren't very good quality compared to what i did during the game, and i was in passive mode, a bit too far from the table, and missed the counter attack twice. i don't blame myself much for those end of set tactical choices, but I regret more the beginning of G3 where i was 3-0 up with momentum and lost with little reason the next 3 points.

However there was no reason to lose G4 so badly 2-11, worse its like i gave up at 2-8. i gave him the match too easily, why ???? :eek::eek:

----
so first of all, for 2023, im making a big change as i bought a new racket with new rubbers. going from Nittaku Acoustic Inner + T80 (1.9) + D80 (1.9) to Tibhar Kenta Matsudaira Carbon + Tibhar Hybrid MK (max) + Tibhar Hybrid K3 (max). i don't change often at all my setup, i've been playing with the same for more than 4 years, so its a bit of a change. but i've tried the new setup once and had a great session with it, i train a lot and feel it would be beneficial to my game.

I think i've improved quite a bit with all the training and coaching i received in the last few years, but it doesn't show so much in the tournament results because I haven't been working enough on the skills that make you perform well in match (like serving / receiving / 3rd ball) but more on footwork, technique, FH/BH transition for example.
I've started to work much more on the match skills (serving / receiving / 3rd ball) from last year only. i can see some improvements but there's more work to be more consistent with this in match.
so now matches are like: some very very good quality stuff, alternating with stupid mistakes and some holes in the game still.

I still believe that despite my age (50) if i can make the effort to keep a good physical condition by doing running / swimming / gym etc... outside TT , then i still have some better days of TT ahead. the goal for 2023 is to get more consistent in serving / receiving / 3rd ball and win more matches. I hope i will contribute to the team doing well and we can get in higher divisions
I love your fighting spirit. I have same fire inside.
Get a stronger core is important like you said. I know a player (60 years old) and He keeps playing like a kid and He's getting better and better. I like that.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I tried a physical therapist. It was a waste of time/money. He seemed to be more concerned about my posture.
I am taking gabepentin to kill/reduce the nerve pain. Gabepentin is usually used for shingles but it work to kill nerve pain in general. I just wonder if there are other adverse effects. There are always adverse effects it seems.

in the past couple of years it has never been a question should i take a painkilleror not to go to TT. It has simply become a question of "the dose".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
My BH trainings have run simultaneously into an unexpected problem and solution. Due to poor form with excessive wrist abduction (blade tip is pointing backwards sometimes at the end of my stroke), I've developed significant wrist pain, I think from the extensor carp ulnaris tendon. I was quite dismayed by that, as I figured it would limit by ability to continue to practice my BH.

To my surprise, I could play BH just fine so long as I don't overly abduct my wrist. If I do, I get an immediate, painful reminder. Instead, I've been using my elbow pivot and body more, and sticking my butt out more to allow for more backswing. You know, actually using the correct form. As a result, my BH consistency and power have skyrocketed. So the injury not only hasn't hampered my BH development, it's actually fixed my poor form and sped up the progress!