Inner blade that is less head heavy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
So I have been playing with the w968 and AJH tmxi pro, quite like both of them, however, I do find especially the tmxi pro to be too hard heavy with rubbers on. To the point which I feel it only after a short period of play in my shoulders. Are there any other blade that plays similar but is bit less head heavy?

What I have in mind are: donic waldner gold, yasaka atletico power or stiga surge... Any suggestions?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Oct 2019
2,105
1,078
3,849
Read 5 reviews
I cannot confirm that blindly, but I think that W968 and copy cats have bigger head. Rubbers from normal blades never fitted quite right. At least 2-3mm loose on each side. I do not own a W968 so cannot verify. That being said my Donic Ovtcharov No.1 was made in image of one. Compared the size with genuine DHS counterpart.

If you want it to be less head heavy, you could just sand down edge to make the head smaller on a belt sander or something. You can also add weight to the handle to move the CoM
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
May 2025
102
102
273
you can go for the yasaka liu jialiang, its an atletico power with a player name on it, outstanding price and the quality is equallly good, I have one as my reserve blade, or you could go for the tibhar mk carbon inside, I have the outer version and its impressive on the handle and weight balance as well
yasaka liu jialang
tibhar mk
 
  • Like
Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
inte
you can go for the yasaka liu jialiang, its an atletico power with a player name on it, outstanding price and the quality is equallly good, I have one as my reserve blade, or you could go for the tibhar mk carbon inside, I have the outer version and its impressive on the handle and weight balance as well
yasaka liu jialang
tibhar mk
interestingly, tibhar mk inside is made in china while the outer version is made in japan I believe, find it rather odd
I had a look at liu jialang as well, indeed seems to be fantastic value, not sure whether it plays the same as atletico power or weaker?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
I cannot confirm that blindly, but I think that W968 and copy cats have bigger head. Rubbers from normal blades never fitted quite right. At least 2-3mm loose on each side. I do not own a W968 so cannot verify. That being said my Donic Ovtcharov No.1 was made in image of one. Compared the size with genuine DHS counterpart.

If you want it to be less head heavy, you could just sand down edge to make the head smaller on a belt sander or something. You can also add weight to the handle to move the CoM
Yes this is what I dont understand, seems the outer carbon has a standard size and inner carbon blade similar to w968 has bigger head size
 
This user has no status.
Donic Original True Carbon Inner was much less head heavy than other inner blades I had. I sold it some time a go, but player using it was last week at my venue so I asked to grab it for a moment just to remind me the feeling. In comparison to Donic Waldner WC89 and especially Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso the True Carbon inner feels much more balanced and more manoeuverable. Also was like only 85g so lighter than two others.
 
This user has no status.
Question is really, if it is only head heavy or in general to heavy. Shoulder pain is usually a sign of wrong technique.

If it is really the balance, I would suggest to use a coin (2-3g) and glue it to the end of the handle (over the Ma Long logo). This should rebalance. I do this with my W968 and an old 1 German Mark coin (4 g) using double sided tape and/or super glue.

This increases the overall weight, but balance is now, where I like it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Egon and Tyce
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
Question is really, if it is only head heavy or in general to heavy. Shoulder pain is usually a sign of wrong technique.

If it is really the balance, I would suggest to use a coin (2-3g) and glue it to the end of the handle (over the Ma Long logo). This should rebalance. I do this with my W968 and an old 1 German Mark coin (4 g) using double sided tape and/or super glue.

This increases the overall weight, but balance is now, where I like it.
Probably there is some issue with technique, don't we all as hobby players. The likely cause I think is that I like to halt my movement when I do my BH to keep the stroke compact.

The total weight of the tmxi pro is 188.9g which is similar to w968 at 189g and my previous set up with cybershape carbon was 187g. Using the tmxi pro cause me discomfort in much shorter play time, so I think it's more the head heaviness than total weight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: vossi39
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
Donic Original True Carbon Inner was much less head heavy than other inner blades I had. I sold it some time a go, but player using it was last week at my venue so I asked to grab it for a moment just to remind me the feeling. In comparison to Donic Waldner WC89 and especially Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso the True Carbon inner feels much more balanced and more manoeuverable. Also was like only 85g so lighter than two others.
I assume you mean the non-senso version?
 
This user has no status.
I assume you mean the non-senso version?
Ovtcharov No. 1 is Senso version, so is obviously more head heavy than others due to empty handle.
Head-heavyness: Ovtcharov no. 1 Senso > Donic Waldner WC89 > Donic Original True Carbon Inner
Donic original True Carbon Inner also less head-heavy than Yinhe Pro 05 (not surprising, in some thread I saw someone dissecting the handle and it has cavities).
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Jan 2024
2,520
3,403
8,079
Read 7 reviews
Probably there is some issue with technique, don't we all as hobby players. The likely cause I think is that I like to halt my movement when I do my BH to keep the stroke compact.
Next time you play, try to see how much you use your upper arm on the BH. You don't need it, and a compact BH stroke would use the elbow as a pivot point. If the elbow stays in one point, braking your movement should not put much strain on the shoulder.

To force myself, I sometimes grab my playing arm with the other hand at about bicep height (like crossing your arms) to make sure it can't move. You may need to allow the ball to come more towards you, too.
 
This user has no status.
Probably there is some issue with technique, don't we all as hobby players. The likely cause I think is that I like to halt my movement when I do my BH to keep the stroke compact.

The biggest issue for the shoulder is usually, when you reach for the ball instead of getting into the right position. Than you need to extend the upper arm, which is an additional lever for the weight, stressing the shoulder joins.
Trying to get in front of the ball and waiting for it to enter the strike zone is key, then there is only limited impact on the upper arm and shoulder.

Easier said then done, I know this very well. I try to improve my backhand since a year and improving the footwork part is damn demanding :cool:.

But treat your shoulder pain as a sign to work on these topics.

Blade balance however is very important for BH/VH transition and impact on your wrist. My setups are usually around 200g and I needed to rebalance the blades, because otherwise I would be to slow with the transitions and the spin on the BH would be less, as my wrist acceleration would be lower with the head heavy setups.

Head heavy helps, because it is then much more natural to drop the head for the TS motion, but you need the strength then to accelerate the head again. Which is OK for top rated players with their training time, but us mere mortals might struggle with this (especially if you have a desk workplace, where lifting weights (y) with just our hands is usually not required).
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Nov 2024
69
30
110
The biggest issue for the shoulder is usually, when you reach for the ball instead of getting into the right position. Than you need to extend the upper arm, which is an additional lever for the weight, stressing the shoulder joins.
Trying to get in front of the ball and waiting for it to enter the strike zone is key, then there is only limited impact on the upper arm and shoulder.

Easier said then done, I know this very well. I try to improve my backhand since a year and improving the footwork part is damn demanding :cool:.

But treat your shoulder pain as a sign to work on these topics.

Blade balance however is very important for BH/VH transition and impact on your wrist. My setups are usually around 200g and I needed to rebalance the blades, because otherwise I would be to slow with the transitions and the spin on the BH would be less, as my wrist acceleration would be lower with the head heavy setups.

Head heavy helps, because it is then much more natural to drop the head for the TS motion, but you need the strength then to accelerate the head again. Which is OK for top rated players with their training time, but us mere mortals might struggle with this (especially if you have a desk workplace, where lifting weights (y) with just our hands is usually not required).
I'll give that a try. Part of my on-going task is to get my BH more compact. If my anatomy is correct, its my deltoid that get tired.

200 g is a LOT! I think i'll struggle with that. Worse case I go back to my W968 which to be fair is probably a better blade. The only down side is how reluctant I am at attacking half long ball with the w968 compare to cheaper blade LOL
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
🏆 Top 1% Commenter
Well-Known Member
Sep 2017
2,487
1,762
5,449
Read 1 reviews
Donic Original True Carbon Inner was much less head heavy than other inner blades I had. I sold it some time a go, but player using it was last week at my venue so I asked to grab it for a moment just to remind me the feeling. In comparison to Donic Waldner WC89 and especially Donic Ovtcharov No. 1 Senso the True Carbon inner feels much more balanced and more manoeuverable. Also was like only 85g so lighter than two others.
Isn't True Carbon Inner much slower?
 
This user has no status.
Isn't True Carbon Inner much slower?
DOTCI is for sure much slower than Donic Waldner WC89, but WC89 is I guess one of the fastest inner carbon blades, it shows me 1500Hz and I have Donic Anders Lind for comparison (WC89 also faster).
DOTCI seems for me on par with Ovtcharov No.1 Senso and Yinhe Pro 03 regarding speed. I think Yinhe Pro 03 was really very similar, but I guess it is also koto surfaced inner so may be similar. Yinhe Pro 05 felt on same level.
For sure DOTCI faster than some slower inner blades like Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon (this one I didn't like, felt too slow).

Speed: Donic Waldner WC89 > Anders Lind Hexacarbon > (Ovtcharov No.1 Senso = Yinhe Pro 03/05 = DOTCI) > Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
 
  • Like
Reactions: piligrim
This user has no status.
I'll give that a try. Part of my on-going task is to get my BH more compact. If my anatomy is correct, its my deltoid that get tired.
Keep your elbow low, try to use only under arm and wrist, stay low and use hip/body rotation. Shoulder pain shows that you doing to much with the upper arm, when trying to lift the ball.

I also switched between TMXi and W968, but now settled with the W968. I believe to have more control and it is a tad slower than my (heavier) TMXi.

Good luck and painless play...
 
Top