Is it possible to find a better blade than the Septear ?

This user has no status.
Hello guys,

I am looking for a new blade, and I wonder if is it possible to find an even better lade than the Septear for control and touch ? I really love this blade, but I am looking for something a bit more control oriented and with awesome touch (the Septear touch is already excellent), as I am a "strong" beginner (meaning beginner with a fast progression. I am new at table tennis but I played for 15 years tennis at high level, so it help me to have some basics and improve faster).
For me touch / felling is very very important, I can't play with the better blade of the world for my game if it has no feeling. I also have Septear feel inner (efficient blade but less feeling, guess it is because of carbon) anf Septear lead (really really cool but the handle is too thin).
The regular Septear is the one I play the best, but it is a bit to hard for me, I miss something for spinning (but for block it is the king). If I can find a Septear like, but a very little less speed / more control, with a bit more flex and with awesome feeling, it would be my dream.
Thank you.

says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Septear is pretty thick at 6.7mm, it's not difficult to find blades underneath that thickness, but seven ply cypress blades do tend to be both uncommon and more expensive. Perhaps it might be the most ideal to contact a custom blade maker such as SDC to commission a blade with similar composition but with thinner inner plies to achieve an overall thickness between 6.0-6.4mm, which should give a similar feeling but will achieve more flex.

Reactions: Kuba Hajto
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Probably the Gewo Sensus Powerfeeling (German craft) could be an option:

This user has no status.
Hello and thank you. About rubbers, I have the factive on the Septear feel inner, but I think they lack a bit of spin, in comparison to the Xiom vega pro I have on the Septear, I much prefer the Vega.

I don't know gewo really well, are they well made ? Because build quality is important for me, this is why I only had Nittaku right now. I now it is a bit idiot, but s for the feeling, I cant play well if I found a blade have bad build quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
i personally like the build of Gewo, which is a German company. Nittaku is probably an inch more high end, but I like the feeling of Gewo. They have Quadri Aruna under contract, at least one world class player if that’s important to you.

But from Nittaku I‘m currently trying out the Nordlinger DY. Great feel and my.blocks & shots are well placed & hard. For control and touch the Nordlinger AC is more suited to you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
I would say ask around in a club if anyone has some worn rubbers to spare and test that theory first (glue is much cheaper than either blade or rubber).

BTW, how did you glue your rubber? Did someone do it for you? I recently had a case of colleague who had an issue of using single super thin layer of glue. I glued a bat for him next time, and apparently to him, a world of difference. He had an issue of rubber coming easily of the blade. That is something you can easily check and fix, maybe it will help you.

Also its worth to consider showing your footage in the "Safe Thread". There is a bunch of baggage that comes from tennis background that could cause issues with spin generation (length of follow through, stroke length, how acceleration happens, positioning, etc..). Some qualified people might help you and with better technique more feeling will come. I would prefer to not comment unless I can see something I personally struggled with.

This user has no status.
Hi guys, after many search, i found that the Latika and the Offensive S could be nice, what do you think ?

I don't think it is about technic as I also had a Victas dyna five soft with vari spin, I don't like the feel, but I can put big spin with that set up.

My goal is to find something a bit flexier and little slower thant the Septear, but still with awesome feeling and great finish quality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hello and thank you. About rubbers, I have the factive on the Septear feel inner, but I think they lack a bit of spin, in comparison to the Xiom vega pro I have on the Septear, I much prefer the Vega.

I don't know gewo really well, are they well made ? Because build quality is important for me, this is why I only had Nittaku right now. I now it is a bit idiot, but s for the feeling, I cant play well if I found a blade have bad build quality.
I have the Septear feel, probably the best blade at everything but a little stiff. I heard from a guy hear really enjoying the Nittaku So-Ten. Also from researching people enjoy the septear feel more than the inner onr

Reactions: Romson
This user has no status.
I have the Septear feel, probably the best blade at everything but a little stiff. I heard from a guy hear really enjoying the Nittaku So-Ten. Also from researching people enjoy the septear feel more than the inner onr
Well the the Septear feel could be the good one so, because I think my Septear feel inner is a bit to flexible with big catapult effect, but it is a really awesome blade, and my regula Septear have a magical feeling, but is a bit too stiff. I thin that something like the Feel inner, but a bit less flexy and a bit more linear will be awesome.

The So-ten is really beautifull, but for now there are not enough feedback, but I keep it on my "think list". I also think about the hinoblade 7.22 and the S-cz. I love Nittaku anyway :) their blade are so much well made.

This user has no status.
I am curious how different will the play be like between a one ply hinoki ( e.g., Darker Speed 90 ) versus Nittaku Septear? Who has played with both blade before?
Sorry I never tested one hinoki ply, but from what I read about one ply, the Hinoki effect (soft and slow on slow stroke, and fast and catapult on fast game) is really more intense that with multi hinoki plies. I think the regular Septear is really linear and predictable. I read that the Myabi can be tremendous fast on fast stroke. I am not sure about that, but if I have well understood, one hynoki plys is really "two faces" blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Have you considered a Nittaku Ludeack? It's a discontinued blade but seems to check a lot of your boxes. A bit less thick at 6.5mm and should be a bit less stiff. Said to have a very high level of control. Finish and quality should be to Nittaku high standards.

It was 25% off on tabletenns11 just a couple days ago so I ordered one. Maybe it goes on sale again in the future as they might be trying to get rid of their stock.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hello guys,

I am looking for a new blade, and I wonder if is it possible to find an even better lade than the Septear for control and touch ? I really love this blade, but I am looking for something a bit more control oriented and with awesome touch (the Septear touch is already excellent), as I am a "strong" beginner (meaning beginner with a fast progression. I am new at table tennis but I played for 15 years tennis at high level, so it help me to have some basics and improve faster).
For me touch / felling is very very important, I can't play with the better blade of the world for my game if it has no feeling. I also have Septear feel inner (efficient blade but less feeling, guess it is because of carbon) anf Septear lead (really really cool but the handle is too thin).
The regular Septear is the one I play the best, but it is a bit to hard for me, I miss something for spinning (but for block it is the king). If I can find a Septear like, but a very little less speed / more control, with a bit more flex and with awesome feeling, it would be my dream.
Thank you.
I may have 'the one you're looking for' that fits the budget (if you've not already found a solution). I started experimenting/fabricating my own blades around October of last year (mainly due to my own EJ'ing without spending the capital; though it became somewhat of an obsession). Ive made 25 so far, and my handles are made of hardwoods, and tend to be on the denser/heavier side because of this, but it tends to make a more balanced feeling blade after they're fitted with rubber (and I sell the ones that I've made but haven't used; l'll post a link at the end).
I've found, through my limited experience, that when trying to construct a flexible "all-wood" 7-ply that compares to the flex of a 5+2, making one in similar fashion to a 5+2 allows the 7-ply to inherit more of the former's properties (i.e. using a thick core with three thinner veneer layers on each side v.s typical 7-ply construction with three similarly sized 'core' woods with a thin surface veneer) Though the blade "shouldn't" have as much flex as a carbon blade usually does, I've found that the blades I've made and used with this construction method gives the blade phenomenal touch and feel close to the table, with plenty of power (and bit of flex) away from the table.

Blade building is a rabbit hole of its own, especially for a Blade EJ (I've pretty much settled on DHS Hurricane III for my forehand, and Dignics 09c on my backhand), but your more than welcome to check out my notes/diary on the blades I've made so far (i.e. Instagram) at the link below.
https://www.instagram.com/lilypad_pingpong/

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I may have 'the one you're looking for' that fits the budget (if you've not already found a solution). I started experimenting/fabricating my own blades around October of last year (mainly due to my own EJ'ing without spending the capital; though it became somewhat of an obsession). Ive made 25 so far, and my handles are made of hardwoods, and tend to be on the denser/heavier side because of this, but it tends to make a more balanced feeling blade after they're fitted with rubber (and I sell the ones that I've made but haven't used; l'll post a link at the end).
I've found, through my limited experience, that when trying to construct a flexible "all-wood" 7-ply that compares to the flex of a 5+2, making one in similar fashion to a 5+2 allows the 7-ply to inherit more of the former's properties (i.e. using a thick core with three thinner veneer layers on each side v.s typical 7-ply construction with three similarly sized 'core' woods with a thin surface veneer) Though the blade "shouldn't" have as much flex as a carbon blade usually does, I've found that the blades I've made and used with this construction method gives the blade phenomenal touch and feel close to the table, with plenty of power (and bit of flex) away from the table.

Blade building is a rabbit hole of its own, especially for a Blade EJ (I've pretty much settled on DHS Hurricane III for my forehand, and Dignics 09c on my backhand), but your more than welcome to check out my notes/diary on the blades I've made so far (i.e. Instagram) at the link below.
https://www.instagram.com/lilypad_pingpong/
Welcome to the forum. It's always good to see new members, and it's especially good to see more custom blade makers here.

Reactions: LILYPAD 乒乓
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Stop your search and buy a Donic New Impuls blade.
It is available in 3 versions: 6.6 = AR, 7.0 = Off-, 7.5 = Off

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Septear is a Hinoki blade. If changing the rubbers to rubbers with more control does not work, why don't you see if you can find a slightly slower, 5 ply ALL Hinoki blade.

Darker 7p-2a is slightly thinner and may be a little slower. 7p-2a.7t would be thicker and faster. 5p-2a is not all Hinoki but it still may be good for you.

But if you can find a 5 ply all Hinoki blade, it might be perfect for you. Butterfly used to make 2 blades (Jonyer H and Klamphar H) that were thin 5 ply Hinoki blades that were amazing. I am not sure why they stopped making them.