Is Rosewood worth it?

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Hello!

The last few years I've gone on a long search for the perfect blade. I tried viscaria, but it was too sensitive, I liked it, but didn't really give me confidence in the match. Clipper was good, but had too low throw. Intensity was perfect play wise, but it's too hard and requires a lot of precision and power.

For anyone that has experience with rosewood outer ply, for example the Stiga Rosewood 5, is it worth it as a blade compared to cheaper alternatives like walnut? I had played with my coach's Stiga rose v, but it was 5 years ago and don't really remember how it played. Only that it played really good with tenergy.

I can buy it for 25% off from normal price, so it would be about 120€.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello!

The last few years I've gone on a long search for the perfect blade. I tried viscaria, but it was too sensitive, I liked it, but didn't really give me confidence in the match. Clipper was good, but had too low throw. Intensity was perfect play wise, but it's too hard and requires a lot of precision and power.

For anyone that has experience with rosewood outer ply, for example the Stiga Rosewood 5, is it worth it as a blade compared to cheaper alternatives like walnut? I had played with my coach's Stiga rose v, but it was 5 years ago and don't really remember how it played. Only that it played really good with tenergy.

I can buy it for 25% off from normal price, so it would be about 120€.

Try Yasaka Goiabao 5. Nice and crisp, hard wood top ply. Play very similar to Rosewood 5 for a fraction of the price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I’ve tried Rosewood 5, 7. Didn’t really like both of them. 5 sounds hollow and 7 is too stiff for the spin game. The size feels small too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
I have the Yasaka Goiabao 5 (rosewood + spruce + ayous + spruce + rosewood, 89.5g, 1431Hz). It has a harder top compared to the walnut top Ma Lin EO (5.9mm, 87.3g, 1399Hz) or the hinoki or cypress top blades. I think ash is also hard, so the Sanwei Pro V5 (71.0g, 1291Hz, 5.8mm - a thin copy ;-) is similar although mine is a bit slow.
I think the bottom line is that the YG5 gets its speed from the hard top and the spruce 2nd layer. It doesn't have the "dynamic range" of say the Yinhe Pro05 (Limba/Limba/KLC/../KLC/Limba/Limba, 1356Hz, 85.0g, 5.9mm) which I think has more gears, or the Koto top Pro 01.
In summary I would play the blade before buying it, I like blades like the DHS Fang Bo B2 or the Yinhe Pro 01 or 05 better, but they are all too fast for me for tournaments, so there I play the Victas Swat (flexible 7 ply Limba top, ~1170Hz). You could also try a walnut top 7-ply (Yinhe 539) which is less jumpy than the same 1400Hz frequency Yinhe 439 with Limba top.

May 2020
Read 1 reviews
I have the Yasaka Goiabao 5 (rosewood + spruce + ayous + spruce + rosewood, 89.5g, 1431Hz). It has a harder top compared to the walnut top Ma Lin EO (5.9mm, 87.3g, 1399Hz) or the hinoki or cypress top blades. I think ash is also hard, so the Sanwei Pro V5 (71.0g, 1291Hz, 5.8mm - a thin copy ;-) is similar although mine is a bit slow.
I think the bottom line is that the YG5 gets its speed from the hard top and the spruce 2nd layer. It doesn't have the "dynamic range" of say the Yinhe Pro05 (Limba/Limba/KLC/../KLC/Limba/Limba, 1356Hz, 85.0g, 5.9mm) which I think has more gears, or the Koto top Pro 01.
In summary I would play the blade before buying it, I like blades like the DHS Fang Bo B2 or the Yinhe Pro 01 or 05 better, but they are all too fast for me for tournaments, so there I play the Victas Swat (flexible 7 ply Limba top, ~1170Hz). You could also try a walnut top 7-ply (Yinhe 539) which is less jumpy than the same 1400Hz frequency Yinhe 439 with Limba top.
From what remember, the rose 5 felt softer than my intensity and yeo. Also I don't have access to the goiabao unfortunately...