Killing spin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Is it possible to change spin in the short game, when both players are making it difficult to attack? If the ball has underspin and if you can it to light underspin that could pop up the ball if misread......and then the point may end.

Sorry if you guys are getting annoyed with my questions, I am just curious!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Yeah I don't that that often but watch a lot of table tennis. Would offensive players be using this tactic against choppers? I don't really see when a offensive player would use against an other offensive player.

If the chopper makes a bad chop, smashing the ball is definitely an option.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Is it possible to change spin in the short game, when both players are making it difficult to attack? If the ball has underspin and if you can it to light underspin that could pop up the ball if misread......and then the point may end.

Sorry if you guys are getting annoyed with my questions, I am just curious. ????

Changing the spin of the ball in the short game is really easy, since the ball is moving pretty slowly (you just have to have short ball skills).

The light underspin that you mention actually happens a lot in game play. Because it's pretty common, players usually expect it. The first short push is usually the spinniest one since it gets spin from the serve. After that the first push, the short pushes usually get less and less spinny. This is the reason why you rarely see players short push over and over again. Usually, it is about one or two short pushes, and then somebody attacks.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Waldner was the king of taking spin off the ball and turning a rally into his favour. The first rally on this video really shows how he could change the pace and spin to his advantage.

(begin old man voice)

When i was much younger, I blocked this way... i call it 'angled blocking' ... when one hears 'blocking', the connotation seems to be defensive... but if you block the ball where the opponent is not, it's offense in my book.

sadly, older and slower now, i have to work on my footwork more, but it's harder

LOL at 1:57-2:15 & 3:08-3:14 (vs LGL) - so matter-of-factly ... the attitude/demeanor is almost like a baseball player's "walk-off homerun".

Wonder if Waldner ever played He Zhi Men lol

Thank you Yecats for the video, never saw it before and it's inspiring!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Korean Old-School J-Penners are notorious Slappers, they can really slap the piss outta the ball and make it cry UNCLE !!!

KJH in his vids often talks about how to overcome spin with impact - a matter of firming up the grip pressure right at impact and making real fast bat speed at and during contact.

OSPH and 42&BP are pretty good at it too. Hahaha.

LOL -- thank you Carl ... i'm just lucky. With 42&backpains, it's Skill though.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
OSPH and 42&BP are pretty good at it too. Hahaha.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Did somebody mention my name...lol I have been slap happy since i was 12 years old kid. So it has never left me. My coaches always advocate spinning the ball back because it is a safer technique. Flat hitting against any type of incoming spin includes 1. overpowering the incoming spin with force & timing. 2. Open racket face technique. 3. Firmness of your grip. Sometimes i cant give up being slap happy because it is so ingrained in me. Happy Slapping!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My coaches always advocate spinning the ball back because it is a safer technique. ... Sometimes i cant give up being slap happy because it is so ingrained in me. Happy Slapping!!!

Dear TTD,

42andbackpains has always been on me for a little over a year since my 'unretirement' from TT about the higher percentage short stroke loop instead of smashing or longer stroke loop.

I always reply to him: "Scorpion!" from The Scorpion and the Frog story:

A scorpion asks a frog to carry it across a river. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung, but the scorpion argues that if it did so, they would both drown. Considering this, the frog agrees, but midway across the river the scorpion does indeed sting the frog, dooming them both. When the frog asks the scorpion why, the scorpion replies that it was in its nature to do so.

But now i see 42&bp is a HYPOCRITE!!!! He is slap-happy also!!

lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Changing the spin of the ball in the short game is really easy, since the ball is moving pretty slowly (you just have to have short ball skills).

The light underspin that you mention actually happens a lot in game play. Because it's pretty common, players usually expect it. The first short push is usually the spinniest one since it gets spin from the serve. After that the first push, the short pushes usually get less and less spinny. This is the reason why you rarely see players short push over and over again. Usually, it is about one or two short pushes, and then somebody attacks.

+1

That's a nice tip. I've never really though about it but it does seem to be true given matches I've played.

But I've never consciously though about it. I will take that into account the next time I'm in a short push to push game where one person is waiting for the other to open up. Should be a relatively easy open up.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
There is a 83-year-old guy that plays at our club he's probably use the same racket and rubber for the last 10 years at least his rubbers are dogeared and the red side is almost transparent. He puts belt rejuvenator on his rubber every day before he plays. It cracks me up because that guy can take spin off of any ball it doesn't matter what kind of spin it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk