Lower quality of table tennis blades - Donic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I must share my unpleasant experience with blade from Donic. I ordered Donic Persson Off World Champion 89 (ST). It is stated as best quality blade from Donic, but... first blade has damaged top plye (and unbalanced surface). After reclamation I get new blade but it has some imperfections too. I made another complain and I was imformed that Donic is just an importer of blades and manufacturer is Soulspin. I don´t understand how the control of quality works in this companies, especially when "Hand-made" is printed on blade.
Be aware of this. What is your experiences with blades from Donic (Soulspin) or other brands?
unnamed.jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
image_123927839 (4).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Pepo
I have 2, One Balastec from TT11 and one New impuls 6.5 from Dandoy.
Both are top notch. The top ply damage is not necessarily a factory issue. It could be a number of reasons.
Some imperfections are normal when it comes to hand made things (absolutely not damage though).

Who did You buy from?

Cheers
L-zr

It says " Made in Germany" but maybe it has not been made there. Lots of china made copies of Butterfly blades also have the print :
"Made in Japan" but of course we know better. 😁
I think it has been handled by someone that damaged it…

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
I got the blade from slovak e-shop, they were sorry about quality of blade and ordered me new one. Then I received next blade - and the marks and imperfections on blade are not caused by transportation, the surface of blade was not hit by some impact (ther is no "hole") - instead of that is top ply a little bit "bulgy". Maybe some problem with spruce pressing technology? I don´t know.

Eshop said that these blades are manufactured by Soulspin in Germany - I wrote them, hope I will get some answers.

I got the blade from slovak e-shop, they were sorry about quality of blade and ordered me new one. Then I received next blade - and the marks and imperfections on blade are not caused by transportation, the surface of blade was not hit by some impact (ther is no "hole") - instead of that is top ply a little bit "bulgy". Maybe some problem with spruce pressing technology? I don´t know.

Eshop said that these blades are manufactured by Soulspin in Germany - I wrote them, hope I will get some answers.
I couldn't find such company. provide a lik please:

"I made another complain and I was imformed that Donic is just an importer of blades and manufacturer is Soulspin."

Yes Soulspin is a blade maker of premium quality blades. But donic does not "import" they are infact in the same country (Germany). Donic has outsorced the manufacture of certain blades to Soulspin. Other blades are made by the Yasaka blade factory in Tranås (I believe) Sweden. There are probably more.
It is possible that this shop sells factory rejects or mercandise that are rejected by customers. If this was a Chinese company my guess would be that someone has a side business selling compromised goods on the side. This happens all the time. I have seen it myself.

I don't know but it is extremely unlikely that the blade in Your pictures left the factory looking like that.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: jbvttcc
Got this very recently, also from soulspin. In the closeup You can see something that looks like a damage. It is not, it’s a pattern in the wood…

Cheers
L-zr

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 105
Reactions: riemsesy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I must share my unpleasant experience with blade from Donic. I ordered Donic Persson Off World Champion 89 (ST). It is stated as best quality blade from Donic, but... first blade has damaged top plye (and unbalanced surface). After reclamation I get new blade but it has some imperfections too. I made another complain and I was imformed that Donic is just an importer of blades and manufacturer is Soulspin. I don´t understand how the control of quality works in this companies, especially when "Hand-made" is printed on blade.
Be aware of this. What is your experiences with blades from Donic (Soulspin) or other brands?View attachment 27726View attachment 27727View attachment 27728View attachment 27729
That doesn't look a production error but rather like a handling or shipment mistake

Reactions: jbvttcc and Zwill
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
My blade has a pattern too, but on touch I feel a little bit bulged... I have an answer from Soulspin, that I should address my complaint to Donic directly (what I have done and without reaction). So I will not buy from this brand anymore - better to buy blade in a local shop and see the quality by myself.

Wish you all the best in 2024!

says EJ-Victim
says EJ-Victim
Sep 2023
Got this very recently, also from soulspin. In the closeup You can see something that looks like a damage. It is not, it’s a pattern in the wood…

Cheers
L-zr
I recognized it as a so-called Bear Claw. I've done Spanish guitar building, and bear claw is aesthetically very nice on the top of a classical guitar. Sometimes it looks like a bear crawled across the wood, leaving these marks, hence the name. So I looked up the construction of your very nice Nittaku, and indeed, the outer layer is spruce (Fichte).

I recognized it as a so-called Bear Claw. I've done Spanish guitar building, and bear claw is aesthetically very nice on the top of a classical guitar. Sometimes it looks like a bear crawled across the wood, leaving these marks, hence the name. So I looked up the construction of your very nice Nittaku, and indeed, the outer layer is spruce (Fichte).
I agree and it has no effect whatsoever on the performance.
I think its the same type of top layer on OP's blade. If it is not lacquered it is very vulnerable to handling, You could actually damage it with Your nails if Your not careful. A thin layer of varnish makes it much better.

I like a soft outer layer in combination with a hard Chinese rubber. Also my blade has a basalt/carbon layer on the kiri core. This let it flex a little more than ALC layers and such.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: riemsesy