Need help with DHS Hurricane 3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
With a slower rubber you are forced to hit harder, with a faster rubber you may be forced to hold back…

In my world it’s always better to hit the net rather than too long.

When you get comfortable you just go up in rubber speed…

They key is with the slow rubber you get a chance to learn correct strokes…

Cheers
L-zr
Good point, perhaps it would be better for me to grab a few sheets of H3 to practice form then. Also would you happen to know anything about the weight of H3 compared to Rakza Z or 7? I feel like both Z and 7 are kind of on the heavy side of rubbers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Good point, perhaps it would be better for me to grab a few sheets of H3 to practice form then. Also would you happen to know anything about the weight of H3 compared to Rakza Z or 7? I feel like both Z and 7 are kind of on the heavy side of rubbers.

On Prince of TT, ttnpp and Prott.vip, you can choose the hardness of H3. The lower the hardness, the lighter the rubber. Bear in mind, commercial H3 can vary in weight due to lower QC.

In my recent experience, commercial H3 tends to skid due to the poorly made topsheet. My provincial H3, despite the lower tack, the grip is much better.

Also, the new less tacky H3 topsheet is much more prone to humidity, the ball skids on it like on ice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
heavy correct
dense / firmer sponge will always mean more weight.
Rakza 7 is very light.

H3 if you were to boost, it will be a bit more bouncier and enjoyable

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I saw the TSOS retiring one of his old rubbers last tuesday. most have been 2 years old if i had to guess.
Next time U se the TSOS unit in the hall, you tell him why he want to keep using that sandpaper useless short life rubber called K1...

Anyone not knowing he will spin you off the table using that stuff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
So I have been seeing some hurricane threads being insurrected. Let me try to answer them from my perspective:

1) I have played with H3 regular commercial orange sponge, H3 neo commercial orange sponge, TG2 neo commercial orange sponge, TG3 neo commercial orange sponge, H3 neo provincial blue sponge and H3 regular National orange sponge. All 39 degrees.

2) My impression. H3 regular, H3 neo, TG2 neo, TG3 neo are all non-tacky now. My source from Aliexpress "seems" to have H3 neo provincial blue sponge that are still tacky. I said "seems" because I have not ordered from that source for a while so I am not sure if it is still tacky.

So despite me paying slightly higher price for H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree from Aliexpress than compared to 30% bulk pricing off from TT11, I am still going for my source at Aliexpress.

3) TG2 neo and TG3 neo seem to be slower than H3 regular and H3 neo, orange sponge so I really do not like TG2 and TG3.

4) H3 regular National orange sponge and H3 neo provincial blue sponge all, at 39 degree, seem harder than H3 neo commercial orange sponge at the same 39 degree. Don't ask me why. That's what my hand is telling me.

5) H3 neo provincial blue sponge is the only one I play with now. It seems to be "harder" and "less catapult" and "less spongy/curve less/less doming" than H3 neo commercial orange sponge. But I like the blue sponge now. Blue sponge seems to have a higher top end speed.

6) All H3 and TG2 and TG3 have low throw angle which I love. I like it when the ball barely goes over the net and then dips, and "kick" in an even lower arc. That is very very different than Tenergy and ESN rubber.

7) I also sometimes like to use the top sheet of hurricane to "pick up" the ball and impart topspin without engaging the sponge. Like in doubles when someone serves half long but it drops off at the edge of the table, I wait and I wait and I wait for the ball to drop almost to below the table and "scoop" it up.

8) With H3 neo provincial blue sponge relatively expensive, I am now buying Sanwei Target National at $30 a piece. They play similarly. And the top sheet of Sanwei Target National is definitely tacky for sure! The blue sponge of Sanwei Target National is not as lively as the blue sponge of H3 neo provincial blue sponge but good enough. If my source at Aliexpress starts giving me non-tacky H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree, then I will play with Sanwei Target National exclusively.

9) I played with Rakza Z for 5 minutes and ripped it off. The throw angle was way too high and the rubber feels way too slow. I may come back to it at a later time. But I heard many good things about Rakza Z so my first impression really surprised me.

10) I took out my old Rxton 3 pink (forehand) and AK 47 blue (backhand), put two layers of boosters on them and install them on another copy of my current blade. I am ready to try it out and see I like them or not. My first impression from six months ago was that I did not like them at all. Let us see if they work this time around.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So I have been seeing some hurricane threads being insurrected. Let me try to answer them from my perspective:

1) I have played with H3 regular commercial orange sponge, H3 neo commercial orange sponge, TG2 neo commercial orange sponge, TG3 neo commercial orange sponge, H3 neo provincial blue sponge and H3 regular National orange sponge. All 39 degrees.

2) My impression. H3 regular, H3 neo, TG2 neo, TG3 neo are all non-tacky now. My source from Aliexpress "seems" to have H3 neo provincial blue sponge that are still tacky. I said "seems" because I have not ordered from that source for a while so I am not sure if it is still tacky.

So despite me paying slightly higher price for H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree from Aliexpress than compared to 30% bulk pricing off from TT11, I am still going for my source at Aliexpress.

3) TG2 neo and TG3 neo seem to be slower than H3 regular and H3 neo, orange sponge so I really do not like TG2 and TG3.

4) H3 regular National orange sponge and H3 neo provincial blue sponge all, at 39 degree, seem harder than H3 neo commercial orange sponge at the same 39 degree. Don't ask me why. That's what my hand is telling me.

5) H3 neo provincial blue sponge is the only one I play with now. It seems to be "harder" and "less catapult" and "less spongy/curve less/less doming" than H3 neo commercial orange sponge. But I like the blue sponge now. Blue sponge seems to have a higher top end speed.

6) All H3 and TG2 and TG3 have low throw angle which I love. I like it when the ball barely goes over the net and then dips, and "kick" in an even lower arc. That is very very different than Tenergy and ESN rubber.

7) I also sometimes like to use the top sheet of hurricane to "pick up" the ball and impart topspin without engaging the sponge. Like in doubles when someone serves half long but it drops off at the edge of the table, I wait and I wait and I wait for the ball to drop almost to below the table and "scoop" it up.

8) With H3 neo provincial blue sponge relatively expensive, I am now buying Sanwei Target National at $30 a piece. They play similarly. And the top sheet of Sanwei Target National is definitely tacky for sure! The blue sponge of Sanwei Target National is not as lively as the blue sponge of H3 neo provincial blue sponge but good enough. If my source at Aliexpress starts giving me non-tacky H3 neo provincial blue sponge 39 degree, then I will play with Sanwei Target National exclusively.

9) I played with Rakza Z for 5 minutes and ripped it off. The throw angle was way too high and the rubber feels way too slow. I may come back to it at a later time. But I heard many good things about Rakza Z so my first impression really surprised me.

10) I took out my old Rxton 3 pink (forehand) and AK 47 blue (backhand), put two layers of boosters on them and install them on another copy of my current blade. I am ready to try it out and see I like them or not. My first impression from six months ago was that I did not like them at all. Let us see if they work this time around.
Today I put the Rxton Pink on my Sanwei 75 inner, and it's a monster combination. So much power and flex, it's just a perfect match.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I saw the TSOS retiring one of his old rubbers last tuesday. most have been 2 years old if i had to guess.
I sourced out all the China HK vendors out of all their stock of K1 rubber a couple years ago,,, the TSOS unit has a 10 yrs supply if he replaces the rubbers after 1 year... nah... he has a 20 yr supply.

says toooooo much choice!!
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hm interesting, I've never seen or heard of H8-80 before. Do you know how it compares to H3? Is it easier to use? I've heard online that H3 requires very good form to get the most out of it and I'm still working on getting better form. I can land forehand attacks somewhat consistently but I'm still ironing out some of my bad habits.
H8-80 is a little bouncier / faster than H3 so slightly more user friendly but you still have to brush the ball well, most tacky Chinese rubber types promote good technique, because you have to put a bit more into your shots.
Everyone seems to be disappointed with H9, there are 4 variations, The blue version I have / had (gave the bat to a new youngster!!) has as much tack as H8-80, it has the 22# sponge. One of the other versions of H9 has the 80# sponge which is the same sponge used for H8-80. so there are quite a few options from DHS. Personally I wouldn't say that H9 Blue is a bad rubber, it's just different to what H3 users are use to!! Hence the disappointment regarding the levels of tackiness in the newer sheets of H3, they are use to high tackiness levels.

Rakza Z and Z EH are great rubbers as well, high spin, tackiness is reasonable, high throw, but maybe spin sensitive which goes hand in hand with the high throw. heavyish, more catapult from the sponge, so faster. Good for lifting back spin.

There could possibly be a big swing away from H3, I'm not saying there will be, but if players want more tackiness from their rubbers then they will look elsewhere, Manufacturers like Friendship729, Loki, Yinhe etc are going to be looking to take the H3 users away from DHS.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
if players want more tackiness from their rubbers then they will look elsewhere, Manufacturers like Friendship729, Loki, Yinhe etc are going to be looking to take the H3 users away from DHS.
Hmmm, there might be a bit of a snag re Loki rubbers because they now have also started to sell theirs with drastically reduced stickiness. Then there is the total inconsistency, you just do not know anymore what you are going to get. Soft sponges are hard and hard sponges are soft etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022

#6.....this is the way. H3N is a counterlooping beast. As long as you swing was through the ball, you take any incoming topspin and return it with interest.