Need Wood Blade Help

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sorry I didn't comment while you were deciding. It seems you got something that will be nice.

Spruce as a second ply in a 5 ply blade, the spruce gives a nice feeling, and it makes the blade a little springy. It will feel different than your IF ALC. Before you got the Azalea, I was actually going to say, if you plan to keep the IF ALC as your main blade, it would not matter much which of the blades you chose since all are good. But all are quite different. And, you may just want to stick with the IF ALC. If it will remain your main blade, going back and forth between 2 different blades is not really a great idea if you are trying to improve consistency.

Just for info: Korbel would have been most similar in feeling to the IF ALC because the wood plies are the same and the only difference is the ALC layer next to the core. But the ALC layer, does make a fairly big difference, particularly when you make a shot with more power.

But in the end, all the blades you were looking at would have been fine.

Enjoy the Azalea. I do think you would do well to think about making it your main blade for, at least a few months to see how it feels as your main blade.

After that, you could decide which blade should be your main blade. And likely, using the Azalea for long enough to really feel the nuances of the blade and let your technique develop around the blade could get you to understand why Der_Echte made the comment he did about using the blade for a year.

Quality Control: for a long time I did not care about the quality of finish on Stage blades. I like to tech my blades before using them so, it did not make much difference to me. But, at a certain point, I decided that, there is something off when a company just drops the ball on those details, even if they are expecting the end user to do a bit of customization. It is okay that some people don't see the sloppiness of those details as a problem and others do. But sometimes it can be more than just sloppy. So, I am glad the blade you got was, all in all, good enough and useable.

Enjoy the blade. When you have hit with it a little, tell us how it feels to you.

Reactions: splasher78
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Stiga blades are made a bit rough and not smooth.

It depends on the price of Stiga you buy. When after some EJ I bought OFF classic (which is a cheap blade) I was surprised how rough, not smooth it was. And it's head edges near the handle were a bit sharp. I had to sand them with a fine sandpaper. Other, more expensive Stigas I tried had a way better finish. I guess what concerns finish, you get what you pay for... :rolleyes:

I think the color is great, but I do agree that the quality of new Stiga blades are not the best :|

After criticizing my blades finish, I don't have any complaints about the quality -structure of it though. Everything is even, did not have any splinters when changing the rubbers and I don't use any varnish.

No you're in topic, according to yogi_bear: Limba-spruce-ayous-spruce-Limba

For anyone that cares, here's the Azalea: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gPr6RbyB6VPWEMqu6
My phone's camera couldn't quite pick up the small details more obvious in person but I tried :b

Some quick impressions:
Tbh I'm not too impressed with its quality. Though I paid considerably less ($52.56‬) than its $80 MSRP over in the states, this is still an $80 MSRP blade which I think my $50 blades in the past were better. It seems like some plies are slightly uneven, frays/tiny splinters sporadically all around, a couple black smudges on the blade near its handle, etc. I did like the metal plates embedded into the handle though!
That being said, I'm still going to use this blade and will likely not matter in actual practice.

I'm not so sure if that should be an excuse for the uneven (albeit slight) layered plies, smudges while new in box, etc. I'm still going to use it after all since these are all really minor complaints.

I just think your recommended Offensive S is the better buy in most scenarios, even if it were to have similar QC because it doesn't have the Azalea's $80 MSRP. Though I do understand that every manufacturing process isn't perfect so maybe my example is just an outlier.

It depends on the price of Stiga you buy. When after some EJ I bought OFF classic (which is a cheap blade) I was surprised how rough, not smooth it was. And it's head edges near the handle were a bit sharp. I had to sand them with a fine sandpaper. Other, more expensive Stigas I tried had a way better finish. I guess what concerns finish, you get what you pay for... :rolleyes:

After criticizing my blades finish, I don't have any complaints about the quality -structure of it though. Everything is even, did not have any splinters when changing the rubbers and I don't use any varnish.

Believe me, better seal it. Did you test it already?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Believe me, better seal it. Did you test it already?

Changing the rubbers? I have this blade maybe for 3 years already and I change my rubbers about 3 times per year, so yes, I have it tested thoroughly. And so far still good. Off-course I don't rip the rubbers from the blade, everything is done carefully.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Changing the rubbers? I have this blade maybe for 3 years already and I change my rubbers about 3 times per year, so yes, I have it tested thoroughly. And so far still good. Off-course I don't rip the rubbers from the blade, everything is done carefully.

It seems to me Yogi was commenting to OP since OP just received his new blade despite the fact that your post was part of Yogi's multi-quote. I could be wrong. But I don't think Yogi was asking you those questions or telling you what to do with the blade you have been using. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
It seems to me Yogi was commenting to OP since OP just received his new blade despite the fact that your post was part of Yogi's multi-quote. I could be wrong. But I don't think Yogi was asking you those questions or telling you what to do with the blade you have been using. :)

My bad in that case :)