Opinions on Butterfly MJ ZLC

This user has no status.
Greetings from California,
I’m a new member of this wonderful forum.

I was at my local table tennis club and saw a new Butterfly Mizutani Jun ZLC blade for sale for $250. I believe that is $20 less than what most online shops are asking. As for me, I think my current equipment settings is quite good. But I just wanted to hear everyone’s opinions on this blade.

Thank you very much.

Sent from Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcome to the "club".

It's a really fast blade so if You think You can handle it, go for it. I wouldn't I would need a really slow rubber to handle it. I have an old Primorac Carbon (Tamca500) and it's comparable in speed. I use it with Rakza 7 soft otherwise it't too fast. The new ones are even faster I believe.

Cheers
L-zr

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Amongst all SZLCs that I have, the most controllable is MJ szlc and the one I bought from Sergio

Speed is more than enough even if you pair slower rubbers like Factive, H3 commercial or even a Mark V
does not lack power from mid distance

Spin wise it is a monster, especially with Hurricane and Tenergys, I personally prefer T80 on it over T05 as I tend to keep the ball closer to the net.

It is slightly head heavy as compared to ZJK zlc or Viscaria and the handle shape is more "square" than "round"

hope this helps

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2011
Have you ever found the square handle too small?
I am interested in the JM ZLC which, according to BTY’s catalog, has the same handle as JM SZLC
Amongst all SZLCs that I have, the most controllable is MJ szlc and the one I bought from Sergio

Speed is more than enough even if you pair slower rubbers like Factive, H3 commercial or even a Mark V
does not lack power from mid distance

Spin wise it is a monster, especially with Hurricane and Tenergys, I personally prefer T80 on it over T05 as I tend to keep the ball closer to the net.

It is slightly head heavy as compared to ZJK zlc or Viscaria and the handle shape is more "square" than "round"

hope this helps

Last edited:
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
Personally, I prefer ZJK handle over any other.

However, that may change for players who prefer thinner handles which makes it easy to use wrist for spin variations and switching from FH to BH.

it depends on your play style :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
It’s funny this had come up on forum as I’m testing this blade currently. I use Apolonia ZLC with D09C and D80 as my main set up and I have been using Apolonia for 2 years. I borrowed mates MJ ZLC to test to compare against Apolonia and for that purpose I’m using same rubbers on it.

I have had 2 sessions of testing this week often doing drills with both blades to compare. Also what I’m doing is playing matches, best of 3 with 1 blade and best of 3 with other against same opponent to get good idea.

initials thoughts so far are:-

MJ is faster than Apolonia but still very controlled. It has lower arc and it’s good away from table where Apolonia needs but more effort, but I am using D09C which isn’t fastest of rubbers. Away from table Apolonia has higher arc. I can’t really compare spin as rubbers on them are 3-4 months older than ones on Apolonia but it’s easy to spin. Going from Apolonia to MJ it doesn’t need much adjustment. Where I’m probably struggling is touch game as I know the touch of Apolonia and it’s inner carbon whereas MJ is outer so easier to engage carbon so touch has to be precise.

biggest difference I have found between them is blocking with MJ is ridiculously easy. Much more stable than Apolonia. I thought Apolonia was pretty good at blocking but MJ I have found ridiculously easier.

testing will continue this is just my verdict after 2 days of testing. My comparison I’m afraid can only be to Apolonia or Harimoto ALC as they are blades I own and use.

Reactions: Luigiii
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
It’s funny this had come up on forum as I’m testing this blade currently. I use Apolonia ZLC with D09C and D80 as my main set up and I have been using Apolonia for 2 years. I borrowed mates MJ ZLC to test to compare against Apolonia and for that purpose I’m using same rubbers on it.

I have had 2 sessions of testing this week often doing drills with both blades to compare. Also what I’m doing is playing matches, best of 3 with 1 blade and best of 3 with other against same opponent to get good idea.

initials thoughts so far are:-

MJ is faster than Apolonia but still very controlled. It has lower arc and it’s good away from table where Apolonia needs but more effort, but I am using D09C which isn’t fastest of rubbers. Away from table Apolonia has higher arc. I can’t really compare spin as rubbers on them are 3-4 months older than ones on Apolonia but it’s easy to spin. Going from Apolonia to MJ it doesn’t need much adjustment. Where I’m probably struggling is touch game as I know the touch of Apolonia and it’s inner carbon whereas MJ is outer so easier to engage carbon so touch has to be precise.

biggest difference I have found between them is blocking with MJ is ridiculously easy. Much more stable than Apolonia. I thought Apolonia was pretty good at blocking but MJ I have found ridiculously easier.

testing will continue this is just my verdict after 2 days of testing. My comparison I’m afraid can only be to Apolonia or Harimoto ALC as they are blades I own and use.