Penhold LP

This user has no status.
Just wondering for all the penhold LPers here, what penhold blade do you use and why?

I'm thinking of potentially acquiring an actual penhold blade rather than using my spare Harimoto ALC at the moment to put on 388d-1 OX and Victas Spectol S1.

• Haha
Reactions: ben1229
says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
what do LP and LPers mean ? I am a legal penholder myself (using penhold from the beginning) - My blades progression is: Unknown Jpen blade - Avalox P700 - Yasaka Ma Lin YEO - Xiom Stradivarius - DHS Hurricane King 3 - Stiga Dynasty Carbon. At the beginning I like all wood blades for their control over the table - as I leveling up I switched to more carbon blades

This user has no status.
what do LP and LPers mean ? I am a legal penholder myself (using penhold from the beginning) - My blades progression is: Unknown Jpen blade - Avalox P700 - Yasaka Ma Lin YEO - Xiom Stradivarius - DHS Hurricane King 3 - Stiga Dynasty Carbon. At the beginning I like all wood blades for their control over the table - as I leveling up I switched to more carbon blades
Sorry I meant long pimples :)

• Sad
Reactions: longle
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
Hello, do you attack with the short pimples or the mainly with the long pimples?

- If you attack mainly with the long pimples, Ni Xia Liang does it and plays with regular Victas Swat. A 7 ply flexible blade is good for this.
- if you attack mainly with the short pimples, then use a 7 ply a bit more stiff, like clipper, Sanwei Parla,... there are tons of options.

This user has no status.
Hello, do you attack with the short pimples or the mainly with the long pimples?

- If you attack mainly with the long pimples, Ni Xia Liang does it and plays with regular Victas Swat. A 7 ply flexible blade is good for this.
- if you attack mainly with the short pimples, then use a 7 ply a bit more stiff, like clipper, Sanwei Parla,... there are tons of options.
I think I mainly attack with the long pimples especially vs short serves. Planning to get the short pimples more for the RPB because I don't like TPB all that much due to the lack of reach and weird posture.

I actually have a shakehand clipper CR, do you think it's a better fit for this style compared to the Harimoto ALC?

Last edited:
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
I actually have both the Clipper and Clipper CR WRB, which do you think is better?
Depends on how the actual blades play. But vanilla Clipper should be a bit softer and more balanced and better for control, whereas CRWRB should be harder and more aggressive for better speed and funk.

Reactions: blahness
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Just wondering for all the penhold LPers here, what penhold blade do you use and why?

I'm thinking of potentially acquiring an actual penhold blade rather than using my spare Harimoto ALC at the moment to put on 388d-1 OX and Victas Spectol S1.
I have an old ph stiga rosewood, paired with h3 on fh and barna legend long on bh. Gives me great control and ball placement, and the serve recieve is brilliant.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I like the YEO suggestion. I have one. It is hard and will provide lots lot "spin reversal" even if you use something like 755 0X. Learning TPB is a must. You will be blocking with the LPs and covering your pocket area. On top of that you will find the TPB LP 0X returns usually return to the opponent very quickly so they have NO time to react, and you can block at angles.

For inspiration
This is just 1 of 5 videos.

Notice that J J Huang uses TPB quite often. The ball goes back to the opponent quickly and if you can return at angles, you will drive opponents nuts.

This user has no status.
Depends on how the actual blades play. But vanilla Clipper should be a bit softer and more balanced and better for control, whereas CRWRB should be harder and more aggressive for better speed and funk.
Ok since it costs nothing for me I will transfer the LP to my Clipper and see how it plays. I feel like the Harimoto ALC sometimes acts like a giant trampoline which is a bit undesirable.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
Jul 2014
Ok since it costs nothing for me I will transfer the LP to my Clipper and see how it plays. I feel like the Harimoto ALC sometimes acts like a giant trampoline which is a bit undesirable.
Yeah, the point of going for a thicker and stiffer blade like Clipper is to eliminate the springiness and flexibility-related characteristics of thinner blades while also maintaining some softness with the limba outer

says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
I like the YEO suggestion. I have one. It is hard and will provide lots lot "spin reversal" even if you use something like 755 0X. Learning TPB is a must. You will be blocking with the LPs and covering your pocket area. On top of that you will find the TPB LP 0X returns usually return to the opponent very quickly so they have NO time to react, and you can block at angles.

For inspiration
This is just 1 of 5 videos.

Notice that J J Huang uses TPB quite often. The ball goes back to the opponent quickly and if you can return at angles, you will drive opponents nuts.

can agree that LP with TPB is nasty to play against

my source? theres this one man in my club who only plays single sided LP penhold

This user has no status.
Yeah, the point of going for a thicker and stiffer blade like Clipper is to eliminate the springiness and flexibility-related characteristics of thinner blades while also maintaining some softness with the limba outer
Yep I will report back once everything is sorted out. First time in pimples land after all!

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp