Recommendations for CPEN blade

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
If you can get hold of this penhold it would be great.

This is their 6th attempt to perfect Cpen.

The main features are:
1-Rounded heightened front handle so your index finger can hook onto it with ease.
2-Backside handle is thinned out to facilitate RPB

I am almost tempted to go back to cpen after seeing that.

this is made by yinhe right?

There is the one and only one: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive.

everyone talks about the YEO but my current betrothed would be her younger sister the Yasaka Goiabao 5 after months of getting to know her well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
this is made by yinhe right?

everyone talks about the YEO but my current betrothed would be her younger sister the Yasaka Goiabao 5 after months of getting to know her well.

I’ve played with both. Yasaka G5 is good for its thickness. YEO is too think for a comfortable RPB.

My ideal thickness would be 5.6-5.8mm. But a thinner backside handle helps

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
View attachment 27839

If you can get hold of this penhold it would be great.

This is their 6th attempt to perfect Cpen.

The main features are:
1-Rounded heightened front handle so your index finger can hook onto it with ease.
2-Backside handle is thinned out to facilitate RPB

I am almost tempted to go back to cpen after seeing that.
That's just a Jpen. Yinhe has been wasting so much time on these things. I still remember they tried 挑战OC, 挑战CL, 挑战蝴蝶王, 挑战VIS a decade ago. Guess what? People just end up getting the original.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That's just a Jpen. Yinhe has been wasting so much time on these things. I still remember they tried 挑战OC, 挑战CL, 挑战蝴蝶王, 挑战VIS a decade ago. Guess what? People just end up getting the original.

Idk much about the history. But I don't think another other brands are doing what Yinhe is doing in the Cpen market though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
Is Yasaka Goaboa 5 good enough for mid distance top spin rally? I like YEO but needed something more power for mid distance without going carbon if possible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think the idea of those blades is pretty good, makes sense to have a better hook point for the index finger. Is there any disadvantage of this?

I guess it didn't really prevail in the market because there are very few new cpen players and the old guys would continue to use the old style.

Jan 2018
Here is a video going through the iterations.

The issue with the Jpen handle is that it trades finger/wrist flexibility for FH power and in turn BH TPB takes a toll. As explained in the video, the 未來直板/Future Penhold is actually primarily designed for kids. The idea is good but the direction is wrong. Much of the iterations has been about overcoming the shortcomings of the Jpen-like handle when playing TPB and/or RPB. They are trying to adapt the FH advantage of Jpen to RPB. See the problem? That's more about fixing the Jpen (which is all but abandoned in Japan and South Korea) than the future of penhold. "Revive Jpen" would be a more fitting name here.

RPB is an innovation of Cpen, an extension that takes advantage of the finger/wrist flexibility inherent to the grip which makes the adaption of shakehand BH stroke possible in the first place, but these grip modifications over the past two decades are totally missing that point and trying to fix issues that bother the grown-ups that started with TPB and have trouble transitioning to RPB, issues that kids have much less trouble adapting as they grow.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
I’ve played with both. Yasaka G5 is good for its thickness. YEO is too think for a comfortable RPB.

My ideal thickness would be 5.6-5.8mm. But a thinner backside handle helps
ive always shaved my backside handle

for jpen i take off the cork on the back and for cpen i lightly sand the back with sandpaper and make crevices for the inner part where your index and thumb touch the handle

goiabao 5 is actually pretty good for rpb

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
ive always shaved my backside handle

for jpen i take off the cork on the back and for cpen i lightly sand the back with sandpaper and make crevices for the inner part where your index and thumb touch the handle

goiabao 5 is actually pretty good for rpb
What I like is to shave a little hole on the backside where my big index finger knuckle sits. Makes it comfortable and a bit easier to open blade a little more for rpb and close for forehand

Reactions: netdriver