Recommendations for CPEN blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I play with fextra 7 and battle ii blue sponge.
But I use Palio ak47 on the bh. It's the most balance blade than compare with DHS pg7 or infinity vps. I think Palio ak47 is lighter for sure. I had no issues playing RPB. Mine fextra weight is 85grams.

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
haha we'll see

it is admittedly not rly my first time trying to switch to CPEN

i have a Sanwei Fextra 7 CPEN with me. however, i really hated playing with it but it could be due to the rubber. battle 2 provincial on FH and focus 3 snipe on BH. blade with the 2 rubbers on weighs 181g total. perhaps its just that my blade is too heavy?

i was thinking that maybe a different blade would feel better than my Fextra 7, lighter too.
181 g seems standard. It could be the centre of mass. How much does the blade weight alone? you can try requesting the shop to give you the available weight and pick the lightest one.

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
news update

i love the Fextra 7 now :p

turns out my battle 2 provincial didn't adhere to the blade properly (the rubber is boosted)

after a quick redo with haifu VOC glue it plays properly now, before it played unpredictably as some shots would go long or drop into the net

but i have the EJ itch so i am still looking for other blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I looked at a lot of wooden blades. The price u pay and the speed ,balance u get with fextra is amazing. Pretty good for me even 1 or 2 meters away from the table. Keep the same blade for 12 months or more .

Reactions: Robin0910
says Footwork footwork footwork
I currently enjoy Xiom AZX but for all wood I really loved using DHS Hurricane Hao 2.
Both set ups H3 fh w/ T64 bh.

Funnily enough, I'm doing the opposite as you and putting CPen backseat to JPen. It's just much more enjoyable for me right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
Yasaka Penhold handles are slimer and more comfy than Butterfly and Stiga if you have smaller hands.
Regular YEO can definitely satisfy the needs of an amateur player.
In China, they also have YEO Pro (red) and YEO Pro (black) which have better material, finishing and heavier than (Pro Black is thicker) the regular version. The Red pro doubles the price and Black Pro triples the price of a European version YEO.
O1CN01aiIBlb23kF9mxYlo9_!!91927293.jpg
O1CN01Hcws1N23kF2nPxNoN_!!91927293.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2023
If you come from jpen then you have to think on where/how you are going to put your middle finger.

In Jpen I had middle finger very extended on the center and now in cpen I am lowering it down.

Last week I bought avx p700 cpen and it has some interesting things:
1. feeling reminds me 1 ply hinokis, but it has greater sweet spot, and is not incredible fast when you hit a fast coming ball.
2. the index has greater support than other cpen blades.
3. blade is broad close tot the handle. If you put the middle finger to the side you do not need to sand the blade. Is the first blade that I do not need to sand and I can manage it with the back fingers quite close to the handle and feel the racket is firm without needing to do too much force. So it helps in maneuverability.

I recommend it.

Also I played with Nittaku Rutis J and is nice and very easy to handle because it is jpen/cpen. But I prefer all wood now, so I am using P700.

Aug 2019
Yasaka Penhold handles are slimer and more comfy than Butterfly and Stiga if you have smaller hands.
In China, they also have YEO Pro (red) and YEO Pro (black) which have better material, finishing and heavier than (Pro Black is thicker) the regular version. The Red pro doubles the price and Black Pro triples the price of a European version YEO.
both versions seem pretty hard to get

Aug 2019
i figured that i should add a little update just for fun

many months back (i think it was around july) i purchased a yasaka goiabao 5 locally

its a pretty good looking blade. compared to sanwei fextra, it bites the ball better when i loop. blocking, driving and smashing is also way better with the goiabao 5. better handle too as its way thicker than the fextra's.

but despite its strengths, in the end ive still stuck to my fextra bc i find it easier to produce spin on all shots. the fextra is a bit slower so i am more comfortable putting more force behind my shots too.

maybe i just need to find a better rubber pairing with my goiabao 5. currently i have reactor tornado v5 on both sides and i find the combo to be too heavy for me to play my game comfortably. im thinking of putting a battle 2 rubber on the forehand side and something more lighter on my backhand side.

i feel like i still need to play more with the goiabao 5 to know if its a good blade for me or not.

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
hello all, i am looking for a CPEN blade optimized for topspin gameplay with good price-performance ratio

allwood blade is preferred and ideally not heavy

i am a JPEN player who plans to slowly transition to CPEN soon for a multitude of reasons;

1) RPB is pretty fun and i want to learn it
2) i want to spice my game up
3) i ended up watching way more Wang Hao and Ma Lin videos lately and now i am in a CPEN phase :p

my mind is boggled since theres a lot of CPEN blades compared to JPEN blades out there so i am wondering if there are any recommendations from the forum
I would put forward a cpen viscaria (so sad the taksim was discontinued) or a cpen yasaka goiabao. Both are great for topspin play and are optimal cpen blades.

this is why YEO is so much more expensive on AliExpress, than on tt11, for example..huh.

@netdriver there's an outstanding review of Goiabao 5 blade here: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/new-yasaka-rose-5-goiabao-5-review_topic70186.html

Your fextra is easier to produce spin, because it has softer Limba outer layers.
Goiabao has ...well, Goiabao outer veneer (that's the name for the wood, and the blade itself), which is apparently harder than Rosewood, which already is very hard.

I've felt the difference VERY much when switching from Spruce outer blade to YEO just recently.
YEO has much more interesting blocking feeling, better BH, but as you mentioned - harder to produce spin, but it's definitely not impossible. Just need to adjust.

Here's the reference video of my gameplay when I just switched to penhold.
Now whole month passed, I am much more confident in my penhold strokes.

Reactions: netdriver
Aug 2019
this is why YEO is so much more expensive on AliExpress, than on tt11, for example..huh.

@netdriver there's an outstanding review of Goiabao 5 blade here: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/new-yasaka-rose-5-goiabao-5-review_topic70186.html

Your fextra is easier to produce spin, because it has softer Limba outer layers.
Goiabao has ...well, Goiabao outer veneer (that's the name for the wood, and the blade itself), which is apparently harder than Rosewood, which already is very hard.

I've felt the difference VERY much when switching from Spruce outer blade to YEO just recently.
YEO has much more interesting blocking feeling, better BH, but as you mentioned - harder to produce spin, but it's definitely not impossible. Just need to adjust.

Here's the reference video of my gameplay when I just switched to penhold.
Now whole month passed, I am much more confident in my penhold strokes.

nice to see u having fun with penhold

u can certainly produce nice spin with goiabao, just that i find short game and serving to be spinnier with fextra

@kingkimchi i already had the goiabao as mentioned in my post above John S

viscaria is sweet, maybe i will get a yinhe alc clone when i have money

i try to not change equipment that much

This user has no status.
I would put forward a cpen viscaria (so sad the taksim was discontinued) or a cpen yasaka goiabao. Both are great for topspin play and are optimal cpen blades.
I believe It's still selling in China? Yoger.com is listed as the official online retailer on Butterfly official website.
But Taksim too thick (7.1mm) to play RPB, it is best suited for one sided C-Pen.
202103291444039777.jpg
202307190957105214.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mihalichtheone
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I believe It's still selling in China? Yoger.com is listed as the official online retailer on Butterfly official website.
But Taksim too thick (7.1mm) to play RPB, it is best suited for one sided C-Pen.
202103291444039777.jpg
202307190957105214.jpg

Idk bro, I just know that its not available in hk and worldwide. I'm not really the kind of person to look for a discontinued blade in china... thanks for letting me know tho.

says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
202103291444039777.jpg
202307190957105214.jpg

Taksim has limba outer, while the viscaria has koto. It's different construction, hence the different name.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
What is the weight of your overall setup? I also have the cpen fextra 7, battle 2 provincial on fh, but with tt88-iii on bh, and the overall weight is 187g which I find is too heavy for me. Or maybe the blade is too head heavy?

My fextra 7 blade is 86g, the battle 2 is about 48g (after cut), so the tt88-iii might be around 53g (after cut) which was 65g (uncut).

What is the weight of the ak47 for bh, and which color type is suitable for bh too?

I want to look for a lighter weight bh rubber to reduce the overall weight.
my total weight was approx. 180grams. I use the Palio AK47 yellow ( red color).

Which Blade did you use previously? I would classify the fextra as well balanced blade.
But the first time I use it. It feels heavy. But now I am use to it. I can BH flick etc..no issue
in fact I cant find a better wooden blade at this moment to reply it.

I play with my state players at mid distance looping no problems.
I would suggest try the AK47 yellow on your bh. By the way. I cut my rubber
and have a gap on the backhand as well. the same distance as the gap on my cpen front rubber. So that it is balance. Do you do this as well.?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
IMG_3895.jpeg

If you can get hold of this penhold it would be great.

This is their 6th attempt to perfect Cpen.

The main features are:
1-Rounded heightened front handle so your index finger can hook onto it with ease.
2-Backside handle is thinned out to facilitate RPB

I am almost tempted to go back to cpen after seeing that.