Should we forgive such a serve?

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012

Should we forgive such service action?

As for me, noone is entitled to abuse the basic rules of the sport. None at all.
Dear Missy, please, take care to follow by the rules.
What next сould we do about this service? Just stay calm and call the score in loud voice, one more point on your side.

Еven bloody mafia tribes will honour the supremacy of the Law. And some players dont. Sure, we ought to force the Rules mercilessly.

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
in all honesty yes. It didn't make a difference to the point realistically.

My general rules is 1/2 our local leauge players serve illegally. We are not becoming the world champion so its just for fun.

Therefore if its causing an issue, like missed serves or extra errors i'll ask them to do it better. A common one is when people serve correctly most of the time but for the fast topspin wide serve don't throw high enough. If that makes someone miss I call it, but if they return it well then, as the french say, "Say Lah Vee" because if it isnt changing the outcome or actively annoying people then it doesn't impact on the fun.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Do not even use the word ""forgive"".
It has nothing to do with it.
The current mess re. illegal serves comes from exactly this attitude and just because it has been around since adam&eve is no excuse for it to go on.
If it is just a friendly game-play I will point it out but the moment we start counting points..........................no mercy and no forgiving either.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Not tossing the ball when serving is usually noobie / garage player's infarction. You will not see these rubbish serve when playing against academy type players.

Yesterday I played with some U15 academy players and one in particular was serving and hiding his contact point behind his body. It was a FH hook serve, which is darn hard to read without seeing the contact point. It is 100% guessing / gamble to decide whether it is a topspin of backspin.

Just wrote an email to his coach ( his coach and I are friends ) highlighting this illegality of his serve and to correct before it become an entrenched habit.

Reactions: Metaxa and kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022
Tossing the ball too low will not allow much spin to be generated, so the only advantage they got from it is higher consistency, since this makes hitting the ball way easier.

There is pretty much only one way to answer this serve with a special serve by your own:

Attachments

• VID-20240401-WA0011.mp4
    1.2 MB
Tossing the ball too low will not allow much spin to be generated, so the only advantage they got from it is higher consistency, since this makes hitting the ball way easier.

There is pretty much only one way to answer this serve with a special serve by your own:
Also the ball comes quicker since it falls less and may surprise the receiver, but only once or twice…

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
says 40+ age in the 40+ age
Jan 2024
In the context of office players etc, I think not tossing the ball actually makes their serves more risky and inconsistent for themselves, as they don't allow themselves the proper timing to make a decent swing.
As for the clip, I'm inclined to say this serve wouldn't change much if it was tossed a few inches further up. If anything, it would change in favour of the server being able to add more effect.

Now in general league play... If someone would win against me mostly due to these serves, I would want to talk to them about it. But, after the game. Having these arguments in a game will be way too heated too quickly for me.
If someone serves this way and it's not that much of an attribute to the result, I say live and let live.

As for National level or up, no question. It's not allowed.

Reactions: Loop Lob Smash
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

Can you legally win a point with a serve like that? Asking for a friend.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
If we let people off for this sort of thing, then what's next? Before we know it we'll be turning a blind eye to players that boost their rubbers. Oh, wait a second.......

:ROFLMAO:
and all the violations in that video too

wall is too close to table
women is wearing long pants - illegal, unless the match referee allows
the umpire isn't certified
at this rate, all amateurs should stop playing, because nothing meets ITTF regulations

and I don't know what is worse
the loosing player trying to block a backhand ball with her forehand rubber.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
One point that people tend to forget is the rule change. ITTF is the one to be blamed on this one. I think a lot of people started playing long time ago do not mind no toss or hided serves, but new players mind. And this is partly due to the rule change by ITTF. I think it is wise to not change any rule unless it is really necessary.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
One point that people tend to forget is the rule change. ITTF is the one to be blamed on this one. I think a lot of people started playing long time ago do not mind no toss or hided serves, but new players mind. And this is partly due to the rule change by ITTF. I think it is wise to not change any rule unless it is really necessary.
There is nothing wrong with the rule change, which was done so that there is no finger-spin and no complete guesswork as to how the server has hit the ball. The real problem IMHO is not so much players bending the service rule as players who can't or won't understand why there is a rule in the first place.

Reactions: Joepole