Small Pieces of wood coming off the handle of my blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Hi,

I have been playing with a new blade for about a month (Xiom Calderano HAL).

I noticed that on one side of the handle, some small pieces of wood are coming off or are close to chipping away soon. It also feels very rough when sliding my fingers over that side of the handle, while the other side is totally fine and smooth.

Any idea what I can do to fix / prevent this?

Maybe its not so clear on the picture, but I hope you know what I mean (sorry for my lack of ability to explain more precisely in English)

Kind regards

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpeg
    IMG_0245.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 122
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's wood so you can just sand it down to remove any rough surfaces and seal it with a polyurethane sealer.

Sanding is good.

Everyone is different. But I hate how it feels when the handle has sealer or anything that can make it more slippery. Anything that makes the wood not absorb the sweat is also something I personally don't like.

But, some people like the feeling of a sealed handle. So....just information for the OP that he may or may not like the feeling of the handle after it has been sealed.

Reactions: ben1229 and lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2023
Thanks for the advice. I sanded just a bit and it feels alot better.

I agree that its hard to spot the issue on the photo. What I meant is, the parts of the handle where the wood is black, splinters were about to come out. I could have basically pull them out with my nails because they were half loose.

Now that I sanded lightly, it seems good and smooth again.

Thanks community :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well a sealed wood handle is better than splinters.

I've sealed all my blades and have no issues with the feel. I just don't like the stains from sweat when it gets absorbed.

I know people who like the handle sealed. I just wanted the OP to know that some people like that and some people are like me and don't.

I like my rackets looking beat to hell and dirty like they have been in combat. But I also know people who like their blades to stay looking fresh, clean, and brand new. So, that is another personal choice.

Last time I saw Der_Echte, he liked handles with a grip on them. I like my handles with just the naked wood. I think it is fine to have different people like different things.

Reactions: bobpuls