soft topsheet + medium/m-hard sponge

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,
since i started to play TT (approx. 6 y ago) and trying out a lot of popular rubbers back then - i always sticked to hard topsheet rubbers, mostly Donic Baracuda and later on Fastarc G1/C1.
Lately i put an old Rasanter R45 on my IF blade... and i really enjoyed the playing style it offered.
I want to describe the playing style.

With the hard topsheet it's about pressure. I feel like if i don't hit hard enough above a specific threshold then the ball quality will be low. Above the specific threshold the quality is very satisfying tho. I'm doing the most points with an underspin serve and a 3rd ball attack. And i lose most of my points with the recieve because i try to attack all long serves. I also lose a lot of points by puttung to much pressure on the hit.

With the R45 it's more of a mushy playing style. And i really enjoyed it. The less pressure i put on my hits (with a looser grip) the better the quality of my topspins. And i could easily attack nearly all long balls with both sides.

Now the problem: my test blade was a fast and heavy weight chinese IF blade. My main blade is a controlled IF blade (custom, similar to BTY IF ALC). I want to stick to my controlled IF blade so there will be a speed drop (which isnt bad). Furthermore i dont like the fast changing properties from the Rasanter rubbers (from beast to lame duck). I like more of a constant performance drop from my Nittaku rubbers. In combination i'm concerned that a medium sponge rubber will be too slow with my IF blade. That's why i consider to step the hardness up again to medium-hard.

In conclusion i search for the new generation rubbers with thin soft topsheet and 45°-47,5° hard sponge. It should offer the ability to play an offensive playing style even with slower arm acceleration but also the potential to kill the ball with some harder swings.

While it was kinda easy to pick the right rubber along the most popular rubbers, these new rubber generation is kinda unpopular. And i also dont know which one of the many seems to stand out. Because i really like the Fastarc series i was thinking about the P1.

Thank you for some recommendation to my request. Please dont recommend me a bunch of rubbers but maybe one which stands out in the area of 'easy to play' 'durable' a good mix of 'speed spin and so on'

Edit: Rating wise i think i'm in the top40% of all rated players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,
thank you for your replies.
I never considered T64 because Tenergy seemed to be way above my playing level. And there were always good and cheap alternatives with better suitability for lower league players. That's why i'm currently playing with Fastarc C1 despite being also successfull with G1.
I'm really curious about the difference between T64 and the new concept of soft thin topsheet + hard thick sponge. Without spending 120 € ofc :)

Does anyone of the higher rated player use smth like Aurus Select as his main rubber? I can attack a lot of things with my fh (+even on G1) and thus i'm a bit worried about the Select could be too soft for me.

@Tony: Most of my TT career i played a Korbel like blade and switched 1,5 y. ago to a Clipper like blade. Half a year ago i switched to the IF, which feeling wise was a very small adjustment to my previous blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys,
i took the advice and ordered an alternative to T64, namely Xiom Vega Asia and Asia DF.
I wonder about the difference between the three of this (T64, Asia, Asia DF)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys,
thank you for your replies.
I never considered T64 because Tenergy seemed to be way above my playing level. And there were always good and cheap alternatives with better suitability for lower league players. That's why i'm currently playing with Fastarc C1 despite being also successfull with G1.
I'm really curious about the difference between T64 and the new concept of soft thin topsheet + hard thick sponge. Without spending 120 € ofc :)

Does anyone of the higher rated player use smth like Aurus Select as his main rubber? I can attack a lot of things with my fh (+even on G1) and thus i'm a bit worried about the Select could be too soft for me.

@Tony: Most of my TT career i played a Korbel like blade and switched 1,5 y. ago to a Clipper like blade. Half a year ago i switched to the IF, which feeling wise was a very small adjustment to my previous blade.

Tenergy is no way "above your level". I've EJed so many rubbers - Xiom Vega series, all tenergy, D05, D64, 09C, all Hurricanes etc. T64 is one of the most user friendliest rubber.

Why? T64 is not that sensitive to incoming spin, very controllable short touch, can actively generate great amount of spin, light weight but insanely fast.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2021
Hi guys,
i took the advice and ordered an alternative to T64, namely Xiom Vega Asia and Asia DF.
I wonder about the difference between the three of this (T64, Asia, Asia DF)

I really liked what you described with the R45 rubber - did it become a lame duck on the controlled IF blade?

What rubber did you find suitable to reproduce that feeling on the IF blade in the end?

I am looking for something similar given my challenges described here: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-change-harder-softer-what.32899/#post-442292

Would really love your insights.