Switching to modern defense - Material suggestions

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hi,I've been playing for almost 10 years now and figured out I'd like to try playing modern defense. I almost exclusively attack using forehand topspin with a lot of rotation and stay quite defensive using backhand, sometimes even find myself chopping with my current inverted rubbers. I'm currently playing Joola Rhyzm-P on forehand and Rhyzm on Backhand, on some Allround or Allround+ wood. My youth Trainer got it for me many years ago (think he is Joola affiliate or something) and I've kinda just stuck to it until now, but i would like to try something else. After some research i thought of this combination: Donic defplay senso with Xiom Vega X 2mm on forehand and Victas Curl P1V (basically TSP Curl P1-R if I'm not mistaken) with 0.5mm sponge. Any advice regarding material or defending would be greatly appreciated!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

If I ever attack from backhand side I always run around (i don't know if that's the right english term) and use my forehand. Do you think I'll heavily lack all offensive possibilities with a defensive blade? I thought it would make defending a lot easier for the beginning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi,I've been playing for almost 10 years now and figured out I'd like to try playing modern defense. I almost exclusively attack using forehand topspin with a lot of rotation and stay quite defensive using backhand, sometimes even find myself chopping with my current inverted rubbers. I'm currently playing Joola Rhyzm-P on forehand and Rhyzm on Backhand, on some Allround or Allround+ wood. My youth Trainer got it for me many years ago (think he is Joola affiliate or something) and I've kinda just stuck to it until now, but i would like to try something else. After some research i thought of this combination: Donic defplay senso with Xiom Vega X 2mm on forehand and Victas Curl P1V (basically TSP Curl P1-R if I'm not mistaken) with 0.5mm sponge. Any advice regarding material or defending would be greatly appreciated!
I have played five def blades with various rubber combinations. Out of Donic Def, Butterfly Matsushita pro, Diode V, Victas Matsushita Def and Victas Matsushita OFF,

Diode V has the most balance - nice and soft feel for defence, but powerful topspin capabilities
Victas Matsushita OFF- slightly harder top ply than Diode, much easier to counterattack and the chop has a lower arc

If you want to progress in the long term, spend your money on a decent blade. Donic Def is way too soft and hollow for modern defence.

Im using medium pimples Spinlord Orkan 1.8mm my B.H has never been so good!!!! I can still do b.h topspin !! I can chop close to the table or back off to chop !!! B.H punch courses a horrible ball for your opponent!!! I used short pimples for years!!! They are easier to use but I find they are easier for your opponent to play against!!!! Since I've changed to Medium pimples all my opponents at my club have said my b.h is so much harder to play against!!! Maybe something to consider!!!! Good luck whatever to decide to try !!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Do you play in a league where players are able to hit several loops in a row?

Imo in some lower leagues you can't really play modern defense because you need attackers who can consistently loop for that but many lower league offensive players will mostly push, block and flat hit and maybe hit one loop to open up.

You can still play Lp against those guys but a different playstyle (and probably pip) is required than if you play against consistent loopers who can hit several loops in a row.

So I think your equipment question hinges on what kind of opponents you play, is it guys who can hit a lot of loops in a row or is it pusher/flat smashers who occasionally play a loop? Many pip defenders at those lower leagues will use a LP to block and push close to the table rather than standing back and chopping which works best against consistent loopers. ​​​​​

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

I play in a rather lower league (Kreisklasse and as a substitute in Kreisliga), enemys greatly differ. The younger players can usually hit multiple loops quite consistantly, still there are many mostly older short pips players who play close to the table. I still sometimes find it difficult to read the spin against those players while I'm attacking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018

Obviously give it a go, as sometimes you just need to scratch that itch, but I tried the same this summer - changing from inverted to Curl P1V on one side of a Victas Matsushita in an idea of being more of a modern defender.
In practise and drills it was really fun, but in practice games and matches it was just so difficult and more frustrating than just losing playing an attacking way. You will have to be really dedicated and be prepared to loose a lot of games and your level go backwards initially. Ive gone back to inverted and happier now.
I would get something really cheap to start and have a play around with before spending too much. I tried DHS C&F3 at that was interesting - just seemed quicker that P1V so prob better on a slower blade to get that control.