Table Tennis Shoes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of shoes for playing, and need some.recommendations, and opinions from the forum..

First a brief about myself..
The surfaces are usually on a hard tiled surfaces, and occasionally on wooden and mat surfaces.. I'm in my early 50s, weighing in at around 75kgs.. My foot size is 8, and My feet are not too broad or too narrow.. I suffer from the occasional knee, ankle and lower back aches and pains.. My play style is defensive, but will also top spin on FH side.

I prefer shoes that are fairly lighteright, and provide, moderate amount of support and cushioning, but a good amount of grip and stability.

Shoe options, specifically for table tennis are very very limited, where I currently am. My budget is around $50. After researching a bit, I've narrowed it down to the following shoes, and need some help in finalizing what shoes to buy..
  • Stiga Liner 2.. These are the only TT specific brand shoes that are available.
  • Asics Gel Rocket 9 and Gel Rocket 10
  • Li ning Ultra Fly
  • Asics Up court 4 and Up Court 5

I'm open to suggestions foe other shoes..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
That budget is a bit short…
I use Yasaka jet neo, I think they work great but really most light indoor shoes with a low sole will work. If you find a pair for 50 bucks go for it…

Cheers
L-zr

$50 -$60 is what I can afford...Yasaka shoes are not available here.. The only TT brand shoes that fit my budget, and they're available over here are Stiga Liner II..they seem quite appealing, and are the cheapest of the options, I've mentioned. Anyone played with these?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Gel rocket will last longer and give more support than the stiga liner. I haven't used the other two kinds. You can often find the asics on sale when they go to a new model number. Maybe you can get for $50 - 60 that way.

Old fashioned as in no cushion, outdated technology?

I'm pretty much a nomad, due to my job
Design wise, for table tennis you want contact with the which means not too much cushion. If you like how they look, get them. We’re all different so don’t really know until you tried. I believe all shoes are sourced so the brand name means less.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Badminton and volleyball shoes. will work too. Not basket ball shoes though or at least they will work worse.

Cheers
L-zr

Yes....Li ning Ultra Fly are marketed as Badminton shoes...Based on Li Nings product info, the Ultra Fly are light weight shoes, without compromising on support and durability.... Ive never tried their products. The shoes are priced well within my budget,. Has anyone tried Li ning shoes? My biggest concerns is the grip. .These dont have the typical Whirlwind, Wave or honeycomb patterned sole grip..Instead they have some circular/knobby type of sole pattern

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Gel rocket will last longer and give more support than the stiga liner. I haven't used the other two kinds. You can often find the asics on sale when they go to a new model number. Maybe you can get for $50 - 60 that way.

Yes.... I have asics running shoes, and they're pricey but offer, good support, fit, comfort and cushion.. Ive also used the Asic Upcourt shoes for TT..They were strictly okay..However, asics durability has Brena mixed bag, for.me..Ive had a pair of GT 2000 running shoes that lasted well over 4 years. Another one pair Galaxy 8, lasted, barely for 8 months. .Same with the upcourts lasted Doe just under a year..My usage is not too.much. .

IIll be stretching my budget with Gel Rocket 10, but durability is a major concern. .Also any idea of the weight?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I had a pair of Li Ning TT shoes. They were good except no cushioning at all. I hardly used them because of that. But I am old and need some cushion.

Reactions: jbvttcc

Yes....Li ning Ultra Fly are marketed as Badminton shoes...Based on Li Nings product info, the Ultra Fly are light weight shoes, without compromising on support and durability.... Ive never tried their products. The shoes are priced well within my budget,. Has anyone tried Li ning shoes? My biggest concerns is the grip. .These dont have the typical Whirlwind, Wave or honeycomb patterned sole grip..Instead they have some circular/knobby type of sole pattern

Badminton shoes needs just as much grip. In fact my old shoes had perfect grip even though the soles were worn naked. It depends on the floor. I have yet to play on a floor where not any decent indoor shoe will grip.

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
It was like 10 years ago but I used Yasaka TT shoes before. They only lasted a few months. I got the Mizuno Wave series afterwards, and they lasted literally 10 times as long. Maybe Li Ning has better cost effectiveness, but I feel like with Japanese shoes you probably get what you pay for.

Reactions: Choosikick
It was like 10 years ago but I used Yasaka TT shoes before. They only lasted a few months. I got the Mizuno Wave series afterwards, and they lasted literally 10 times as long. Maybe Li Ning has better cost effectiveness, but I feel like with Japanese shoes you probably get what you pay for.
I play 5 times a week and I’m going on 2 years now…

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Choosikick
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
Stiga Liner III is the best you can get, I am wearing them, no differences than higher price Mizuno, European pros wear it too. Also Lining APPP005-3 is a great budget recommendation

Well. They are really nice shoes. My son loves them, and the Liner II before. But the soles don't last. He had these since October, and now there's no pattern left in many places of the soles. I mean three months, and playing 2-3 times a week. It has to be better than this.

• Sad
Reactions: longle

I had the Yasaka G Pro, lasted about 5 months before the high impact areas wore out. My Mizuno Wave Drive lasted about 4 years.

I’m talking about the current model “jet impact”.

Cheers
L-zr

I had the Yasaka G Pro, lasted about 5 months before the high impact areas wore out. My Mizuno Wave Drive lasted about 4 years.

Jees, they must be smelly by now. I don’t want mine to last that long 🤢 🥴

Cheers
L-zr