Tell me about your experience playing a blade with different laminates on either side, like Koto and Limba etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
I've had a few asymmetric blades and currently use an SDC with Koto on one side and Ash on the other, but have also tried the following combinations Limba/Maple, Limba/Walnut, Framiré/Ash and Koto/Ovangkal.

As one side will affect the other and the difference between the sides is mostly the 'feel'.
I think any differences in speed between the sides would be negligible, but the harder side does at least feel a bit more direct.

Last edited:
Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I've had a few asymmetric blades and currently use an SDC with Koto on one side and Ash on the other, but have also tried the following combinations Limba/Maple, Limba/Walnut, Framiré/Ash and Koto/Ovangkal.

As one side will affect the other and the difference between the sides is mostly the 'feel'.
I think any differences in speed between the sides would be negligible, but the harder side does at least feel a bit more direct.
the moore direct feel on the harder side would also translate into better control ????

says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tell me about your experience playing a blade with different laminates on either side, like Koto and Limba etc.
Some say the harder FH-side would help the weakling getting a bit more umpf into the shot.
Koto - More direct, pinpoint accuracy on the blade (you can feel and tell where you have contacted the ball), sharper feeling where you contact the ball. You need more forearm acceleration to spin the ball and also need to go more through the ball otherwise it would be weaker loop/topspin. Needless to say, you need good footwork to make a good shot. Resulting topspins due to more forward action with high arm acceleration are having a lower arc and pose difficulty for the opponent while blocking.

Limba - Softer feel, more catapult with feeling of ball being on the blade for a bit longer. You can also feel the bite on the ball when you spin. You can get away with slower arm action, delayed timing and little bit off footwork. Topspins have more arc, resulting in safety over the net, you can play more deceptive game with tempo and spin variation.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 1 reviews
So if one would have to sum-up the "asymmetric blade" as a concept, would it be classified as a "very useful tool" that gives the player some great advantage, or would one have to more classified as a "a bit of a fad" ??????
Closer to being a useful tool, although it is very much fine tuning, not a complete game changer.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Closer to being a useful tool, although it is very much fine tuning, not a complete game changer.
thanking you kindly
Lodro
Screenshot 2023 01 18 at 10 30 47 H0d9eda1af1d84c7db3a173c171abb841g jpg WEBP Image 800 800 pi...png