Tips on protecting top veneer ?

Hey everyone,
I've recently bought a HL5, but the fibers of the top veneer are coming off with rubber removal.
Not much right now, but I want to still have a blade in 2 years time, after changing rubbers regularly 😅
Can anyone recommend any varnish or other type of product to keep this from happening ?
Thanks in advance !

Reactions: JJ Ng
I’d recommend DHS varnish or Joola, both are good, DHS is cheaper. Just be careful to wipe off the excess varnish so glue can stick on the blade.
Thanks, I just bought some DHS varnish, didn't even find the Joola one. I hope it will help. Thanks for the quick reply !

Reactions: JJ Ng
No problem:)
What is Yasaka Rakza XX like?
I really like it ! I played for years with Rakza 7 on the forehand, and the XX is a nice upgrade to it in my opinion. You lose some control, but you gain speed and grip. I also tested out the X Soft, which is aimed for grip and control, and you can feel that the XX is the big brother of that rubber. As every other Rakza, it's not as lively as other brands, where the ball is catapulted away before you can blink. It's more controlled, the word I would use is dormant. Wake it up with good technique, and every Rakza is a weapon at the table. XX is especially dormant in this department. Used it up in one and a half months, though, but I did that with H3 Provincials and a Rakza 7 as well, so I guess every rubber just has shitty longevity...

This user has no status.
I really like it ! I played for years with Rakza 7 on the forehand, and the XX is a nice upgrade to it in my opinion. You lose some control, but you gain speed and grip. I also tested out the X Soft, which is aimed for grip and control, and you can feel that the XX is the big brother of that rubber. As every other Rakza, it's not as lively as other brands, where the ball is catapulted away before you can blink. It's more controlled, the word I would use is dormant. Wake it up with good technique, and every Rakza is a weapon at the table. XX is especially dormant in this department. Used it up in one and a half months, though, but I did that with H3 Provincials and a Rakza 7 as well, so I guess every rubber just has shitty longevity...
Have u tried Rakza 9 by any chance? Also have you found any durable long lasting rubbers?

Have u tried Rakza 9 by any chance? Also have you found any durable long lasting rubbers?
No, there's only 3 Rakzas I haven't tried : X, 9 and Z Extra Hard. Being someone who plays very often, rubbers don't usually last very long... One of the longest I can remember, though was Victas Triple Double Extra. Tackiness stayed more or less the same if you treat it well.

Tacky ones will always be spinnier than non-tacky ones. But if I had to give you my top 3 non-tacky ones, they would be 1. Rakza X Soft (the slower sponge seems to give you more control on the spin) | 2. Rakza 7 Soft | 3. Victas VJ>07 Regular (Very slow compared to other rubbers, but very grippy. Also exists with a grippy topsheet under the name VJC>07 if I recall correctly !)

This user has no status.
As for the OP, any decent polyurethane based finish will do the job just fine. Either water based or oil based poly will do the job (with oil-based being that tiny bit tougher). Wipe on one thing coat with a clean, lint-free rag, and then wipe off any excess with another. Leave it to dry fully and that's all the sealant you'd ever need. Polyurethane sealant is available at any decent hardware store, and one small 250ml tin is enough to do nearly two dozen blades this way.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I think Rakza 7 soft and Rakza X soft are pretty bouncey. For sure, Butterfly Tenergy fx series and Tibhar Revolution series are bouncier. But Rakza 7 soft and Rakza X are definitely bouncier than Xiom Vega Series and Fastarc series.

I also have a sheet of Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43, Rasanter 47 and Victas V > 15 Limber. I find Rakza to be bouncier than those brands as well.

I have not tried Rakza 7 regular and X regular for a while though.

I think Rakza 7 soft and Rakza X soft are pretty bouncey. For sure, Butterfly Tenergy fx series and Tibhar Revolution series are bouncier. But Rakza 7 soft and Rakza X are definitely bouncier than Xiom Vega Series and Fastarc series.

I also have a sheet of Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 43, Rasanter 47 and Victas V > 15 Limber. I find Rakza to be bouncier than those brands as well.

I have not tried Rakza 7 regular and X regular for a while though.
I agree to say that they are pretty bouncy, don't get me wrong. But they aren't as much as their other Tensor counterparts, that's why I call them dormant in my last comment.

I can't say for the Gewo, Andro and Victas top of the line rubbers, but I tested Tenergy 05 and 05FX, and I never had worse rubbers in the 40-50 I have tested. On 15 minutes timescale, I had the impression to play with rocket ships, then with Antis and then with regular allround rubbers. Same blade, same opponent, same playing conditions. Most unconsistent rubber I've used to this day.

The Rakza Softs seem to have a more "delayed" bounciness, in my mind. I feel like the ball lasts longer in the rubber before going away. The non softs seem to be more direct, and thus faster overall. I hope this was clear for those who are not in my head :ROFLMAO: