Unique style and the long blade handle?

This user has no status.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bYCBo3e59nc&feature=youtu.be

Was watching Chinese amateur gameplay and came across this match... I noticed one of the player is using a very long handle on his blade. Is that legal within the rules of the game?

If legal, why does he choose to use this longer handle? Isn't it just extra unnecessary weight?

I noticed he is very defensive player doesn't attack at all really and mostly serves a tomahawk/punch serve similar style of serve .

I feel his style only works because their level is not high, if against a decent level would he easily be beaten? I'm not sure but it seems like that.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Was watching Chinese amateur gameplay and came across this match... I noticed one of the player is using a very long handle on his blade. Is that legal within the rules of the game?

I think it's legal, following the ITTFs rules as found on http://www.old.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/hb.asp?s_number=2 — "any size, shape or weight".

2.04.01 The racket may be of any size, shape or weight but the blade shall be flat and rigid.
2.04.02 At least 85% of the blade by thickness shall be of natural wood; an adhesive layer within the blade may be reinforced with fibrous material such as carbon fibre, glass fibre or compressed paper, but shall not be thicker than 7.5% of the total thickness or 0.35mm, whichever is the smaller.
2.04.03 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.
2.04.03.01 Ordinary pimpled rubber is a single layer of non-cellular rubber, natural or synthetic, with pimples evenly distributed over its surface at a density of not less than 10 per cm[SUP]2[/SUP] and not more than 30 per cm[SUP]2[/SUP].
2.04.03.02 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2.0mm.
2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.
2.04.05 The blade, any layer within the blade and any layer of covering material or adhesive on a side used for striking the ball shall be continuous and of even thickness.
2.04.06 The surface of the covering material on a side of the blade, or of a side of the blade if it is left uncovered, shall be matt, bright red on one side and black on the other.
2.04.07 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.
2.04.07.01 Slight deviations from continuity of surface or uniformity of colour due to accidental damage or wear may be allowed provided that they do not significantly change the characteristics of the surface.
2.04.08 Before the start of a match and whenever he or she changes his or her racket during a match a player shall show his or her opponent and the umpire the racket he or she is about to use and shall allow them to examine it.

<tbody>
</tbody>

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I don't think he gains any advantage from that, since he doesn't hold it in the end like a tennis racket but still up at the blade. Btw why not use such a grip and grip it in the end? Couldn't you generate more power with that?

Btw nices serves by that guy. The rest of his game is not good but the other guy had big trouble with the serve but I don't think the grip has much to do with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
lol I don't get why he completely negates any advantage holding it like that.

Anyways, a couple years back at club we had a college kid come to club for a few months with a custom made blade just like this. Except he would hold it at the end. He was a college tennis player at one of the local universities so I guess that felt natural to him. You could jam him up pretty good by hitting to his body but if he got a forehand into his wheelhouse, look out. lol.

I suppose his really hard hits weren't that much faster than a really good player's FH smash or loop but it was on the intermediate strength shots where you could tell the difference. His hits just carried more weight (I'm guessing simply speed & spin) than what they appeared.

Again, I wouldn't recommend this style. Push game suffers and you can get jammed pretty easy. It didn't take much to beat that kid.

Reactions: Opalescent
This user has no status.
I don't think he gains any advantage from that, since he doesn't hold it in the end like a tennis racket but still up at the blade. Btw why not use such a grip and grip it in the end? Couldn't you generate more power with that?

Btw nices serves by that guy. The rest of his game is not good but the other guy had big trouble with the serve but I don't think the grip has much to do with it.
Nope, actually the effect of long handle is the same as Beast Mode,

Stable always ready blade. [emoji28]

The more even the blade handle and face weight, the more maneuverable the blade is when we hold it at fulcrum / COG. [emoji6]

Note, but that handle too long, it will keep the blade facing up and make it too stable [emoji14]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

Reactions: OhWell
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Nope, actually the effect of long handle is the same as Beast Mode,

Stable always ready blade. [emoji28]

The more even the blade handle and face weight, the more maneuverable the blade is when we hold it at fulcrum / COG. [emoji6]

Note, but that handle too long, it will keep the blade facing up and make it too stable [emoji14]

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

= Beast on benzos mode!