This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
The USA is different because of geography which makes it difficult to organize regional or national leagues. Here is a new idea:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1290177804363186&id=273547322692911

Article posted at: USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition April 30 post on timeline page on Facebook.

Read all the comments to get the whole picture.

You probably will get more responses and wider exposure to your idea if you shared the gist of it here, and not use FB to host it. I can't speak for others, but I do not use (or plan starting) FB on Desktop - too much data collection going on their part.

Reactions: yoass and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
The USA is different because of geography which makes it difficult to organize regional or national leagues. Here is a new idea:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1290177804363186&id=273547322692911

Article posted at: USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition April 30 post on timeline page on Facebook.

Read all the comments to get the whole picture.

Read it on my phone: the main idea is to have clubs score points based on their member participation in USATT tournaments. Kind of like a Fantasy League concept. Probably can be gamed quite a bit, plus club needs to have some sort of identity for members to care about competing for the club and not just for themselves. Don't see why it could not be posted here.

As an aside - I found the post on FB almost impossible to read due to weird writing style and unusual choice of punctuation. Also - 'comments' look like they came from an army of sock puppet accounts, i.e. written by the same person.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You probably will get more responses and wider exposure to your idea if you shared the gist of it here, and not use FB to host it. I can't speak for others, but I do not use (or plan starting) FB on Desktop - too much data collection going on their part.

Although you have a very good point there, i wouldn't just rely on one way to spread a good idea.
In fact, best way to reach most people is to use all available channels you've got!

Posts over here at TTD could get too little attention by getting burried from other posts as well.

One example:
A couple of days ago I've posted a reply to Suds79​'s question in the CC thread and all i got was two likes.
One by OSPH and another by Monster.
No reply, no denial, no reaction!

Suga D said:
Suds79 said:
Quote Originally Posted by suds79 View Post
Does anybody have an idea for league play at our table tennis club?

Some players have expressed interests in having a league. But I'm thinking, how do you run a league where people sometimes show up to play & sometimes don't.

We could do an individual league but honestly that's probably not going to be that exciting. Everybody kinda knows who the top players are 1-4. Sometimes they show. Sometimes they don't.

So I'm thinking some team drafting thing would be fun. Would it be you win more points for challenging someone & winning and very little positive points even in losses? I figure there's got to be some incentive for players showing up to play, even if they lose, compared to players who never make it to club.
Anybody have ideas or do something similar at your club?
Man, i wanted to respond to this already two days ago. Hope i understood correctly.
Well, anyway late but here:

As monster wrote, it depends a bit how many players you have.
Have you ever heard of "Corbillon Cup"? Basically you have two players form a team and the Team that scores 3 points has won.
Example for running order:
Player 1 Team A vs. Player 2 Team B
Player 2 Team A vs. Player 1 Team A
Doubles
Player 2 Team A vs. Player 2 Team B
Player 1 Team A vs. Player 1 Team B

If you have like 8 players you could form 4 Teams and let each team play against each other. If you don't want it to be over already then let all Teams have a ReMatch so you would have 1st leg and 2nd leg season.
There are tournaments played like this with all matches played on one single day, But you could also split it up and just have one team match per day.
Of course the number of teams can be increased, but the number of players could also be increased easily if you have more players participating. You could also have a substitute Player per team in case your best players don't show up on a regular. If you have like 3 or 4 players per Team only the playing order would be slightly different. That's all.
You can also set up a prize for the team who wins the most.
Make sure the best players don't play in the same team otherwise things might get boring too soon.
If the best players show up to your Team matches then fine, and if they don't then they are weakening their Team, so it's not the best player that wins the season but rather the best team with the best consistency. And if your best players have some sportsman spirit then they won't let their teammates hang.

I hope this has been somewhat helpful an in case of any questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Heh - 'Chit Chat' thread is something special. I'm waiting to see whether forum will eventually collapse under the weight of this single thread.

So, not surprised you did not get answers/comments to your well-thought out post, it probably got buried quickly under chit and chat.

But on the original question - my point was that OP insists on having TT discussion on FB, while making a lot of effort to avoid doing the same on dedicated TT forum. Seems misguided, but I gave up on attempting to change anonymous stranger's minds on the Internet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read it on my phone: the main idea is to have clubs score points based on their member participation in USATT tournaments. Kind of like a Fantasy League concept. Probably can be gamed quite a bit, plus club needs to have some sort of identity for members to care about competing for the club and not just for themselves.

The club team identity is their city plus nickname. The listing of club members associated should be on a league webpage.

The USA needs something to inspire clubs to compete. A nationwide league was organized a few a years ago and never got started. They had good financial backing too. The USA has inconsistent TT member participation​ and existence across a lot of the country so this could help.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Who is this USA Hobby Table Tennis Coalition? Is it a coalition of one?