Using an Expensive Rubber vs Cheap Rubber, that is the question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Hello all, new comer here, I just want your opinion for having a mix feelings regarding a new player who is using an expensive rubber sheets, the player already been to competitions (high school invitational meets, regional tournaments) in there home town and had luck placing, some from 3rd to being a Champion in times, does it really matter using the best rubber out there that will showcase your best strokes in tournament than a cheap rubber, trainier insist in using an expensive rubber because the players is already got used to it but the issues is the budget , the rubber in question is Joola dynaryn ACC. I mentioned it to the trainier to have the student try a cheaper rubber to start with and then transition it a much affordable rubber in the future. I know its always been a struggle given that we all look for the holly grail of table tennis setup combinations. I too struggle to have a right gear from name brand butterfly blade to now, I settle for Yinhe T1s with btrly Rozena on both sides.

Do you have any recommendation similar to Joola Dynaryn ACC that will not break the bank?

Thanks all

Happy Pongin!!! Cheers Mate

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hello all, new comer here, I just want your opinion for having a mix feelings regarding a new player who is using an expensive rubber sheets, the player already been to competitions (high school invitational meets, regional tournaments) in there home town and had luck placing, some from 3rd to being a Champion in times, does it really matter using the best rubber out there that will showcase your best strokes in tournament than a cheap rubber, trainier insist in using an expensive rubber because the players is already got used to it but the issues is the budget , the rubber in question is Joola dynaryn ACC. I mentioned it to the trainier to have the student try a cheaper rubber to start with and then transition it a much affordable rubber in the future. I know its always been a struggle given that we all look for the holly grail of table tennis setup combinations. I too struggle to have a right gear from name brand butterfly blade to now, I settle for Yinhe T1s with btrly Rozena on both sides.

Do you have any recommendation similar to Joola Dynaryn ACC that will not break the bank?

Thanks all

Many options. Moon 12, Ak47, Loki Arthur Europe Diamond

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Many options. Moon 12, Ak47, Loki Arthur Europe Diamond

AK47 is nearly unbeatable for that price. Even the harder ~47° ESN AK47 red is very lightweight, plays also nicely (no question there are better rubbers out there but it plays very well) but I had issues with topsheet durability i.e. grip/oxidation.
Dynaryz ACC has a 47.5° ESN sponge if I'm not mistaken. Best budget ESN option with the same sponge hardness: Vega Pro. Best BTY budget option: Glayzer. Chinese option: Hurricane 8-80 37, Skyline 3-60 37.
Edit: Mizuno Q Quality
Reviews: https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-that-matches-tenergy-05-at-half-price.31138/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I'd recommend avoiding AK47 Red. Yes, it's cheap and it can produce high quality shots, but I found it to be very unforgiving in terms of where you hit on the racket. Without a perfect hit in the middle, I had the ball slip on the rubber many times and literally just falling down, which made looping backspin on the BH very difficult. Moved to Fastarc G1 and it doesn't really happen anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Back to OP

STIGA DNA and Mantra pro M are high end quality rubbers. Dhs goldarc 5/8 have nice medium sponges aswel. These rubbers i bought all for under €30 per. Other "cheaper" tensor like rubbers have some kind of issue. These rubbers feel completely diffirent to ACC tho.

I love the feeling of DNA pro M close to the table. Very uncomfortable for the opponent especially.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Back to OP

STIGA DNA and Mantra pro M are high end quality rubbers. Dhs goldarc 5/8 have nice medium sponges aswel. These rubbers i bought all for under €30 per. Other "cheaper" tensor like rubbers have some kind of issue. These rubbers feel completely diffirent to ACC tho.

I love the feeling of DNA pro M close to the table. Very uncomfortable for the opponent especially.
Goldarc has durability issues

says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019

Thanks all

cheap or expensive, eurojap or tacky, it doesnt really matter in the long run the more equipment you purchase and tried

in the end it boils down to preference

i personally just use cheap rubber bc i am a cheapskate and i can live with dead hard rubbers

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
Well the main advantage of using "standard" (wouldn't call them expensive) rubbers vs. cheaper solutions, is the consistency of the things you get. And I would assume that the coach is on that path.
If you train with Dynaryz ACC and get the next sheet, it will play the same. I have tried many cheap solutions (Loki, Palio, etc). They all lack in consistency. You order a rubber, it feels good. You order another and it behaves noticeable different. And in a phase, where you are still developing your skills, you shouldn't be questioned, if it is your stroke or the material that makes the difference.

If you want to go for a cheaper solution than I would rather look for the ESN alternatives of the ACC being on sales or wait for the rubber to be on sale and then purchase a set for the next 12 month. Stored in dark and dry (but not hot) environment, they should be 1A, even after a year.

Reactions: enj and kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
Thats a huge point. Consistency.
I wonder if the consistency issue is also the same with cheap chinese blades? Im thinking of the Yinhe and Sanwei ones.
I will try out some chinese rubbers but will always have the more expensive primary racket for serious matches.
Even those can be quite cheap. If you like G1, tt11 sell 4 for price of 3. I calculated you pay 33$ pr sheet this way. For a G1 it doesn't get any better than that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
If money is a real issue, those cheap Chinese rubbers mentioned can work pretty decent. unless you are at a very high level or have a sensitive hand/feel, I don’t think the quality control of these rubbers becomes a big issue.

Reactions: Cadoia