Viscaria (normal/ Super ALC) or Ovtcharov Inner ALC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new blade that suit well with H3 Neo provincial boosted FH and D05 BH. My former blade is Andro Treiber Q with D09C FH. I'm looking for something control and exploit my offensive 2 wings play. Could someone give me some recommendations and also the review of three above options? I'm little bit confused when reading those reviews

Reactions: FrenchFrog33
This user has no status.
Hi guys, I'm looking for a new blade that suit well with H3 Neo provincial boosted FH and D05 BH. My former blade is Andro Treiber Q with D09C FH. I'm looking for something control and exploit my offensive 2 wings play. Could someone give me some recommendations and also the review of three above options? I'm little bit confused when reading those reviews

The only blade i used on your list is the Viscaria (the normal version). I played this normal version of the Viscaria (lended it from a friend). I had DHS Skyline TG3 Neo on FH and Tibhar MX-S on BH on it. Viscaria is quite fast but still has good control feeling. Its a great combination for attacking, topspin play. But hey, i play about just as well (or bad) with my Waldner Senso Carbon with Xiom Vega X on FH and now Kokutaku Blutenkirsche (blue sponge). I am convinced u can play well enough with all kinds of blades. My advice is to test some setups from friends in your local club. Choose a handle u like and the amount of stiffness/hardness u like, the weight u like and mostly work on your technique/physical/tactical skills. The list of blades by that guy called Emratrich (top 10 blades) has really good blades in it.

Last edited:

ZFT

This user has no status.

ZFT

This user has no status.
Dec 2021
Judging by the World Teams Championships, to effectively use H3 + Vis structure it seems it requires a certain amount of physicality to properly hit through H3 to impart enough spin to create a quality ball at the elite level. Koto+ALC has characteristics related to crispness and so it stands to reason speed and penetration would be easier to unlock, which leaves spin generation as the remaining focus to create a heavy ball.

Check out the physiques of FZD and LJK, known users of H3 + Vis along with Lim Jonghoon (Super ALC) - these 3 would have the strongest legs and physiques on the world tour at the moment. It is telling that one of few remaining all wood users, Kristian Karlsson also has a very strong physique.

On the other hand, the relatively easier ability to impart spin using inner composite limba means this should fit a wider spectrum of players as the objective would be to focus on speed generation, which I feel is less reliant on physique - i.e. fast footwork to get to the right place and then having perfect timing upon hitting the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
The problem is I have borrowed the Viscaria and tried something, it's good. But I've heard the super ALC is a new upgrade of Viscaria (anyway released nearly 10yrs +), in my club (authorized reseller) its only cost more than Viscaria 40 CAD. About the Ovchatrov, never tried it before, but I saw him using D09C, a hybrid of Jap and H3 so maybe will it be a good combination? lol😂 In addition, I take ST handle. FZD series the same price will be a good options too (nearly the same characteristics)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
H3 can pair well with literally all types of blades - 5-ply, 7-ply, carbon, inner ALC, inner ZLC, outer ALC and outer ZLC.

Viscaria is fool proof. So many regional level players use Vis + H3. You need to stay fairly close to the table. If you tend to step away from the table, inner ALC such as HL5 or Ovchatrov will suit better as they have a higher max speed/spin than Viscaria.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
H3 can pair well with literally all types of blades - 5-ply, 7-ply, carbon, inner ALC, inner ZLC, outer ALC and outer ZLC.

Viscaria is fool proof. So many regional level players use Vis + H3. You need to stay fairly close to the table. If you tend to step away from the table, inner ALC such as HL5 or Ovchatrov will suit better as they have a higher max speed/spin than Viscaria.

I'm intended to play lots of flick and counter spin from the backhand. So which thing will be better? I pair BH rubber D05. FH for clear chance to loop kills :)) I think I play a lot with D09C, so I think H3 won't be a big problem with FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I'm intended to play lots of flick and counter spin from the backhand. So which thing will be better? I pair BH rubber D05. FH for clear chance to loop kills :)) I think I play a lot with D09C, so I think H3 won't be a big problem with FH.

My question is do you step away from the table and counter loop from mid or far distance?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Welp, in my philosophy, who stay closer to the table take the advantage. But if I have to, I still take 1 step back to counter loop (usually if I enter the loop and counter loop phase), so the answer is yes

If you intend to stay close to table, get Vis, can't go wrong. Vis can do really well even in mid distance.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I know my answer is not going to please many people, but it's really for the future players who many stumble upon this thread in future.

The differences between ALC, Super ALC, Innerforce ALC or any other "mainstream" OFF carbon blade is VERY SMALL.

If you aren't of a very high level anyway, these blades will be too quick.

Now, what is a "very high" level..... That's impossible to say I'm afraid.

In the UK, I'd say it was a level where you are playing in the top 1 or 2 divisions of your local league.

Other countries will vary, but if you've not had coaching, the chances are you don't need a carbon blade.

Now, if you are good enough to use a carbon blade like the Viscaria or Ovtcharov, and you really really feel like it will make a genuine difference to your game..... You are probably not going to get the answers from an Internet forum, as everyone feels things differently.

What I will say is this.....

The new fangled SUPER ALC....... Well.... It's marketing (and Butterfly do this best).

If it was significantly "better" than ALC, you'll find every Pro will move to it (but I very much doubt they will).

Just like ZLC was supposed to be better than ALC, and then Super ZLC was supposed to be amazing...... You just don't see many Pro's using these blades, which should tell you enough.

I have said this many times, but it can come down to something as simple as picking the handle shape and design you like the most.

Personally - My blade right now is the Ovtcharov ALC, but I could swap it for the Viscaria, TB ALC or any other carbon blade and barely have to change anything - They are really that close in their performance.

All of this "XXX is better for flat hits" is nonsense.

Sure, the Harimoto ALC is better at blocking because it's ever so slightly slower, and the Viscaria is better for fast shots because..... It's ever so slightly faster.

But these small differences are very small indeed, and if you are good enough to really feel the difference in performance, you are also good enough to overcome them very quickly.

For what it's worth, my vote goes to the Ovtcharov ALC in the case of the OP.

It's not too quick, allows you to play close and far from the table, and is a spin monster.