What glue can use to fix a cracked blade BTW the plies?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
If I bang up the edge of my blade and it gets chipped or cracked then I just fill it up with polyurethane to make sure it doesn't get worse. I figure it won't affect the playing properties too much if it's just the edges.

If you have a crack that goes deep into the player surface of the blade, then that probably requires a more professional solution. Good luck

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
If I bang up the edge of my blade and it gets chipped or cracked then I just fill it up with polyurethane to make sure it doesn't get worse. I figure it won't affect the playing properties too much if it's just the edges.

If you have a crack that goes deep into the player surface of the blade, then that probably requires a more professional solution. Good luck
Thanks, like an inch deep in the middle of the edge, will see if some other ppl have this problem before.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
How did it happened ?
Are we talking about delamination ?
If the individual layers of the plywood have come apart fixing is relatively easy.
I normally make some tiny wedges from balsawood to spread the layers apart then let a lightly thinned down epoxy glue seep into the cracks.
after a couple of minutes i remove the wedges, apply sheets of Mylar on both sides of the blade, backed by pieces of stiff plywood. Then of course apply pressure with
g- clamps. remove excess dribble of glue.
Messy business but somebody has got to do it :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
How did it happened ?
Are we talking about delamination ?
If the individual layers of the plywood have come apart fixing is relatively easy.
I normally make some tiny wedges from balsawood to spread the layers apart then let a lightly thinned down epoxy glue seep into the cracks.
after a couple of minutes i remove the wedges, apply sheets of Mylar on both sides of the blade, backed by pieces of stiff plywood. Then of course apply pressure with
g- clamps. remove excess dribble of glue.
Messy business but somebody has got to do it :cool:
Hit the edge of the table, thanks for the info.

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023

Attachments

• 20230625_115948.jpg
    20230625_115948.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 77
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
ITTF URC advice
-- Slight mechanical damage all along blade margins is generally admissible, on the premise that the outer perimeter of rubber is hit in play on most seldom occasion.☝🆙

Last edited:
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Delamination cannot be cured fully, unfortunately. If the top ply is delaminated then though it can be fixed with an appropriate glue but the feel of the blade changes. I have a first hand experience with this situation. After I got one of my blade repaired due to poor manufacturing QC, though the plies are well stuck together it does not feels right anymore.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Delamination cannot be cured fully, unfortunately. If the top ply is delaminated then though it can be fixed with an appropriate glue but the feel of the blade changes. I have a first hand experience with this situation. After I got one of my blade repaired due to poor manufacturing QC, though the plies are well stuck together it does not feels right anymore.
agreed in principal, but we are not talking about a total delamination here but a relatively small, accident created blemish.
Yes, the spot of repair will always feel different but the proper repair will at least make this blade still usable. If one chooses the placing of the rubbers (FH/BH) carefully, the repaired spot might only come into play very rarely.
Naturally, Ben will be using a new blade at the Olympics next year :)