What is the secret ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Hi !

I would like to know what is the main point to focus when you try to serve with a lot of spin ?
My current issue is that I don't feel the ball well when I serve and I tend to "hit" the ball too much so my spin is really weak.
I was wondering if there was a "secret" like the way I use pressure on my fingers ? Maybe the contact point on my rubber or the ball ?

Thanks for helping :)

says On a never ending EJ journey
says On a never ending EJ journey
Jun 2023
Main points are - accelleration of your wrist (many try to use lots of arm movement) and contact point on your blade very close to the tip (where the racket speed is the highest)
Additionally, you should aim for brushing rather than hitting. Look up craig Bryant’s video on YouTube about adjusting grip. That might help

Reactions: Lowday20298
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
Try to brush the ball with a soft hand. Hit the ball with a relatively flat bat and aim to hit at the front edge of the rubber, or the top, not the centre.

Aim for the contact to be light and deep, if you give power to the ball on the serve it's gonna float. Work on a snappy wrist to only engage the topsheet and use its grip. Keep the overall move very short.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Hi !

I would like to know what is the main point to focus when you try to serve with a lot of spin ?
My current issue is that I don't feel the ball well when I serve and I tend to "hit" the ball too much so my spin is really weak.
I was wondering if there was a "secret" like the way I use pressure on my fingers ? Maybe the contact point on my rubber or the ball ?

1. Loose wrist.
2. Gravity is your friend.
3. I slam the bat into my stomach to create the momentum.
4. Hit the ball as close to the surface of the table.
5. Hit the ball as close to the edge of the table.
6. Point 4 & 5 is where practice and no practice makes the difference. It is a feeling thing.
7. Keep your weight forward to press the ball downwards or else the ball will fly off the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
Thank you for all your help !

My coach also says it is about wrist accelleration at contact with the ball, I can hear the sound of blade is so different when I compare to my serve.
A good server has a muted sound like only the rubber is activated, mine you can clearly hear the I touch/hit the ball the wood :/

This user has no status.
Hi !

Everything matters a lot in serve spin. You have to use the entire body (with weight transfer), forearm, wrist and fingers to serve, otherwise the wrist/fingers will be overloaded easily. I remember Waldner even told Dan this in some recent video.

But for developing finger/wrist movement I would recommend doing it away from the table. Throw the ball in the air, do a ghost serve with your racket and then catch the ball again with your free arm. You should be able to feel the spin with your free hand. I did that thousands of times before I got good at applying heavy af spin on the ball. It's good because your free hand gives you immediate feedback so you know how to do it in a way that makes max spin

Reactions: Scarfed Garchomp
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Everything matters a lot in serve spin. You have to use the entire body (with weight transfer), forearm, wrist and fingers to serve, otherwise the wrist/fingers will be overloaded easily. I remember Waldner even told Dan this in some recent video.

But for developing finger/wrist movement I would recommend doing it away from the table. Throw the ball in the air, do a ghost serve with your racket and then catch the ball again with your free arm. You should be able to feel the spin with your free hand. I did that thousands of times before I got good at applying heavy af spin on the ball. It's good because your free hand gives you immediate feedback so you know how to do it in a way that makes max spin
It is a very good video but he is not telling me how to do this incredible soft touch which one can hardly hear but getting this amazing spin .