Why does it seem like I play to the level of my opponent?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i described what happened to my last tournament in the other thread where i lost to a beginner chopper with LP perhaps 300 or more points below me after winning 11-4 G1. then suddenly i missed cause i started moving less and focus less, and instead of changing tactics with tens of options available i just kept on playing the same and getting nervous and worse and one could have though i was a beginner as well.
Sometimes, this is about the opponent more than you, sometimes they go from chop to no spin and the other player doesn't adjust or look closely enough to see what the opponent is doing. (but I speaking about myself here, you are likely different.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I've seen several players with similar problems, and they all have lots of coaching. For them, my observation is that they are particularly good at handling the orthodox two-wing looping opponent who would give them good quality topspin balls that they are very familiar with due to feeds from coaches. So when they play stronger opponents, they can stay in the topspin rallies and win some points.

But when they play against weaker players, sometimes they struggle with unorthodox techniques, in particular floats; on the other hand they can handle heavy backspin.

Not sure if this is anything similar to your situation.
Yes, I do experience some of this as well. But I would say the bigger issue is the "let Shaq shoot the 3 pointer" mentality that gets me in trouble.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I feel you man. At my last tournament a few days ago, I was playing against a 1800~ level player I think. I won a game 11-1 and lead 2 games to 1 but ended up losing the match. I got smoked in the decider.

Since I was able to win a game 11-1, clearly I'm a higher level, but my game is just really funky during tournaments. I struggle to finish points and matches, I tend to play safe too much. I seem to have a similar problem to yours, hopefully I can get better.
maybe i'm an exception (or i played really badly my first game) but at the round robin last night, I lost 1-11 in my first game against my opponent. Then I won the next game 11-3. Then the next 11-7, then 11-6 to win the match. I don't think winning a single game 11-1 means you are clearly the higher level player. There's just too many factors.

I think winning all your games 11-3 or 11-4 means you are clearly the better player...at least on that day.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
maybe i'm an exception (or i played really badly my first game) but at the round robin last night, I lost 1-11 in my first game against my opponent. Then I won the next game 11-3. Then the next 11-7, then 11-6 to win the match. I don't think winning a single game 11-1 means you are clearly the higher level player. There's just too many factors.

I think winning all your games 11-3 or 11-4 means you are clearly the better player...at least on that day.
Yeah, winning the first game by a wide margin is not a confirmation in any way that you are a better player at any level. In fact, the better player may need to collect information to play better and losing 11-1 is very often a part of that process.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Read 1 reviews
Plenty of practice matches against weaker players and you'll learn how to beat them efficiently. Not much practice, and it can be like facing an unfamiliar style when you're nervous; a recipe for taking a bad loss.

If you're having trouble against a weaker player, you're probably playing either too aggressively or too passively.

If too aggressively, you're trying to finish the points too quickly. You're stronger, so there's no point going for risky shots. Time and chance favor you; let them do their work.

If too passively, you might be playing tight. If that's the problem, the best thing is just more match play. You'll steadily improve both controlling your nerves and playing well under pressure. Another common problem when playing too passively is playing without variation. If you give a weaker player steady rhythm you can turn him into a stronger player. If someone is suddenly playing better than expected, try speed, spin and placement variation.

says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
says Looking for a bat that makes me faster
Jan 2023
The other thing is, when I play the 1300, lower level players, I often give them 7 point handicap and I usually win.

When I'm down 7 points, somehow I feel I need to make every point count and I play better than against the 1700 guys.
Start giving yourself some handicap mentally then, it seems to work for you.

Reactions: blahness
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
I've seen several players with similar problems, and they all have lots of coaching. For them, my observation is that they are particularly good at handling the orthodox two-wing looping opponent who would give them good quality topspin balls that they are very familiar with due to feeds from coaches. So when they play stronger opponents, they can stay in the topspin rallies and win some points.

But when they play against weaker players, sometimes they struggle with unorthodox techniques, in particular floats; on the other hand they can handle heavy backspin.

Not sure if this is anything similar to your situation.
Yes! Yes! Yes! I concur. I am a victim of weak noodle arms stroke. Aunties and their weak puny no spin returns. I hate them! Hate them to bits. Weak noodle arms aunties should be made to play amongst themselves and not bother us regular folks.

• Haha
Reactions: blahness