Yet another blade + rubber switch ask

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
First off, I would classify myself as a high level beginner - lower level intermediate player. I like to play with more control and I find myself blocking more so than always counter looping like an advanced player. I will counter loop and flat hit smash when I am feeling confident enough.

With that being said, I first started playing with a Timo Boll all-round blade with Hurricane 3 Neo on both sides. This setup generates lots of spin and control and I am more consistent with my loops and flat hits landing on the table. As I continued using this setup and as I got farther away from the table, my shots were landing short as this setup does not generate much speed. Which lead me to my next setup: Timo Boll ALC with Tenergy 05 on both sides.

With the Boll ALC and T05 on both sides, this solved my problem away from the table. My shots were then getting on the table. But the opposite problem arose. Close to the table, my shots were more inconsistent as some were going long. Pushing was still of decent quality. After some time, I reverted back to my first setup. Now I am again struggling with far from the table play.

I am now thinking I need a setup in between. I was thinking giving the Stiga Cybershape a try (I would like to keep my Boll ALC with T05 if I ever feel like giving that a go again and I do like the Boll ALC). For the rubbers, I would like something not as fast as T05, but still spinny and faster than Hurricane 3. My options I was thinking were Stiga DNA Platinum M or the DNA Dragon Grip (though I have heard of durability issues with the latter). Also maybe a different Tenergy rubber, I am open to opinions.

Opinions on those potential setups for my case?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Any chance you cans show some footage of you playing? Ideally a little with each setup. Maybe 30 seconds with each. But the more important one to see is the setup with H3 on it.

Also, what made you switch both blade and rubbers at the same time? When you switched, you changed to an exponentially faster blade, and you switched to rubbers that are a TOTALLY different kind and have much much much more catapult effect. Usually, it is better to switch one thing at a time. Like, you keep the blade but change the rubbers. Or you use the same kind of rubbers but you change the blade. That way, the change is more incremental and you are not fully reinventing the wheel with the next setup.

Like, it is possible that the Boll ALC with H3 on it, or the Boll Allround blade with T05, either of those may be just what would suit your needs.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2022
Any chance you cans show some footage of you playing? Ideally a little with each setup. Maybe 30 seconds with each. But the more important one to see is the setup with H3 on it.

Also, what made you switch both blade and rubbers at the same time? .
Honestly, I was still pretty new to TT in general and just wanted something faster and the best of the best. Didn't really think of something incremental. Unfortunately I don't have footage playing.
I realize that H3 is tacky while T05 is more of a catapult effect. That's why I was thinking cybershape as I've heard it is similar to Boll ALC with either DNA platinum M or dragon grip. I prefer to keep my setup as is so I do not waste T05 rubbers (darn things are expensive)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Honestly, I was still pretty new to TT in general and just wanted something faster and the best of the best. Didn't really think of something incremental. Unfortunately I don't have footage playing.
I realize that H3 is tacky while T05 is more of a catapult effect. That's why I was thinking cybershape as I've heard it is similar to Boll ALC with either DNA platinum M or dragon grip. I prefer to keep my setup as is so I do not waste T05 rubbers (darn things are expensive)
Does that mean you can't make footage of yourself, the people you play with won't want you to take footage with them, or you don't want to show footage?

As far as CyberShape, why would you buy another blade that costs that much money when you have no idea what will be good for you. If money is not an issue for you, sure, get a CyberShape, get a Nittaku Acoustic, get a Butterfly Korbel blade. But probably a Butterfly Korbel blade, or a Primorac, or a Xiom Offensive S would actually be more of what would be good for you.

But regardless, how you are going about this does not make much sense. It is like a shot in the dark and you are choosing really expensive blades.