Are Personality and Play-style Linked

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I'd like to know what you all think. Do you think there's a direct correlation between a person's personality and their play-style? Possibly share about yourself or other's you've seen where you feel this is or isn't the case.

Just a general discussion I've been thinking about.

This user has no status.
I think it depends if you play for fun or in competition. If it is for fun i think you're game will reflect your personality. In competition, the main goal is winning and take the best out of you and that best may not be a refletion of you personality. You can be an agressive person but because you are old or heavy or just slow, you and your coach change your game to be more defensive or vice versa.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Would you say playing an aggressive style for someone with a passive personality would feel unnatural? It's playing a way that your personality isn't comfortable with. Maybe there is no correlation between the two and a player desynchronizes with their emotion while playing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Well, it takes two jumps to get from personality to play style.

Personality -> How you feel about ping pong -> Play style

Personality:
I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I don't really feel bad about losses. I care most about learning and improving. Losses are learning experiences.

How I feel about ping pong:
I don't feel bad about missing shots. I care about learning and improving, so I take risky shots, because I believe that improving requires that you become familiar with difficult shots and scenarios. I feel that power shots are cool. I've watched the professionals play. So I know what I should be doing.

Play Style:
I am a lefty penholder. I almost always get to attack first because my serve and attack game is pretty nice. And I loop fast and spinny. Of course, I favor my forehand. I almost always try to go for a counterloop instead of a block(I'm getting a lot better at it :D ). People say that I am really aggressive and my game is pretty flashy(like crowd pleasing/ like Xu Xin). However, people also say that I rush and that I am too eager to attack.

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Cool question Shuki, ill have a look to see if there is any research on this area. I am thinking of a few player examples on the top of my head, i think there is a link. The mental side in table tennis and in any sport in general has such an impact on the sporting performance, so the way ones core traits are will correlate to sport actions I think. For example, I find when someone will do anything to win a match they often share this same winning attitude in everything in life. For example someone who will do anything to win a match will have a similar attitude when playing the playstation :)

I can imagine Samsonov is a very relaxed, calm person in real life, which also shows in his play. There are also players who can be a bit of a pain on the table but are the nicest guys off the table :)

Reactions: Shuki
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Yes, I've noticed a lot of new players tend to hit the ball hard with extremely little consistency. These players, I've noticed are easily excitable.

If these players are some of the few that continue to play table tennis is work hard to improve, I usually see a point in which their stroke finally becomes relaxed and they're no longer hard hitters. I've also noticed that they are no longer easily excitable. As if the game had taught them patience and altered their personality.

So maybe it's not the personality that determines the play style, but what becomes optimal as their play style is what in turn effects how their personality is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Until, I've noticed that my play style was very stable, playing safe shots, yet a very fun game. consistently looping from both wings but never that aggressively, just taking control of the table. Playing a bit of a fishing more often than I should simply because the lobs, long slow loopsish LOW shots were easy to land and messed with players often. Pace change, from slow- to very slow to average pace. That was my style in a gist. I just had fun with my opponent's seeing what they could do and then exploiting their weaknesses instead of playing my own kind of game.

My personality was reflective of my playstyle, patient in person, trying to find the best way to complete the outcome of a project I was working on with optimal success. Making that project as perfect as possible, taking little risks, going for slower path to complete it so it would be perfect. (When I say Project I'm talking about my part time job as a Jeweler, I work on gold, wedding rings, setting diamonds and various precious gems into the Jewelry I was repairing or working on, and simply repairing all gold types of Jewelry. Whether it be studs, rings, bracelets, pendants, necklaces, etc.) I always wanted all my work perfect which sometimes took longer than it should, so I'd put in extra hours off the clock to make sure what I was doing was great.

But I felt myself capped out in table tennis. Players over 1800 I couldn't beat more than 60% of the time, I felt myself just getting blown away by speed. If a player over 1800 played slow I could still manipulate my style around them but most 1800's I've been playing were just too agressive for me to deal with. I can loop virtually any ball COMFORTABLY, but these loops aren't strong (with spin or speed). The only time I would give a strong ball is if the ball already had a lot of spin or speed on it. If it had a lot of speed I would use a short stroke, not quite a block but more of a counter, using their speed as my source of power. If the ball was more spinny than fast, whether it be any variation of back, top or side spin, I would be able to loop it with a decent amount of spin comfortably.

But as of recently, I've found myself getting off the table after my opening loop instead of going to a close to the table counter game after my loop. This was causing me to get into counter topspin rallies that I was losing 20% of the time. Not because of my opponent hitting stronger, better placed loops at me, but because my loops were dropping earlier than I would have liked them to. I'd never had problems with my loops going into the net, but these off the table topspin loop rallies had all my balls going into the net. I tried more of an upward stroke to fix this but my coach didn't like this, (Well if I'm being completely honest she didn't like me getting off the table at all).

And so, I switched to the beloved 75$ sheet of rubber everybody knows and loves, (or loves to hate). I instantly started playing more of an aggressive game because I really had to go through the ball more with my grazing strokes and couldn't play as "blocky" or else I'd lose control. I was attacking everything and my game completely changed, I have the strokes to play any style because my coach tries to make her student's as well rounded as possible until about 2000 rating, and thats when she wants to work harder on more specifics like tactics. But just because I have the strokes to do any style doesn't mean I have the experience and footwork to play any style.

Back to how this aggressive style has changed my personality. I'm not aggressive or easily agitated and with people I'm still pretty patient, (at least in person) probably because I'm still patient enough to only attack the balls I'm comfortable with. But I've found my schoolwork and job's projects have changed. I still do my work optimally, but now I don't spend nearly as much time on them. For example, when welding a gold ring with say and opal set in it (opals are extremely easy stones to break and heat will destroy them). I used to just pack wet paper towel around the opal and slowly heat the gold until my solder flowed well. But now I just don't want to waste all this extra time and I crank the heat up on my flame and flow the solder almost instantly. (this is much easier to melt gold and mess it up by melting it, but it doesn't heat the entire ring all the way to the opal since I'm heating so quickly). I'm getting much more work done and am no longer a perfectionist.

With school I'm doing my work much more quickly, saving time and not making everything perfect. Still getting good grades, because I know what it takes to get the grades, but I'm just saving so much time.

Could it be that my change in style in table tennis has changed the way I go about my every day life?

Edit:
Red= Aggressive
Blue= Passive
Purple= edits.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Some players play better when they are full of energy, whereas some play better when calm and relaxed.

I guess it depends on how you can get your body relaxed. I believe the fastest you can make your motion with a relaxed stroke is where you want it to be. If you're incapable of making your stroke fast without tensing up then you probably shouldn't be making your stroke fast.

A tensed stroke not only loses control, power, and spin, but also after say 10 of them, you're no longer getting the same rotation speed on the stroke and it will make the stroke even harder. Keeping your stroke relaxed allows consistency to stay as you get tired.

says what [IMG]
I guess it depends on how you can get your body relaxed. I believe the fastest you can make your motion with a relaxed stroke is where you want it to be. If you're incapable of making your stroke fast without tensing up then you probably shouldn't be making your stroke fast.

A tensed stroke not only loses control, power, and spin, but also after say 10 of them, you're no longer getting the same rotation speed on the stroke and it will make the stroke even harder. Keeping your stroke relaxed allows consistency to stay as you get tired.

I don't think he's referring to muscle tenseness.

Think of Ryu Seung-Min vs Oh Sang-Eun.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
I've thought about this many times. And personally, I think there is some correlation between a person's personality and their play-style, more or less, and it can be true in some aspects of personality and not true in others.

For example, I'm a pretty straight-forward person, I often use straight-forward approach on things, I don't/can't use tricks and mind games to get what I want. My play style is somewhat similar, I don't have a lot of tricks and mind games like other guys, I like to attacks with power from both wings, sometimes too aggressive and risky :D I tried to add more tricks and variation to my game, because I know it's my weaknesses but how hard I try, it's still not as good as my natural risky attacking play.

I know a guy who is a little slow and indecisive in real life and he is just the same in table tennis.
Another guy who is very tricky and complicated person, he is the same in table tennis. Doesn't attack much and try to use mind games and tactics to win.
We can relate this to Adam Bobrow, he is surely a funny guy and his tt style is similar, he always tries to do funny and weird shots.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There has been discussions about how table tennis is a character building sport. Wonder what effect table tennis can have on the long run modifying ones personality?

I actually have a feeling this is more to the point. And it really would be interesting to do a study and see how play style affects personality.

But I don't really actually think personality is as much of a determining factor in play style in table tennis as it seems some people think it is.

One way of looking at this: there are a lot more all out attackers than there are personalities that actually seem to match that style would suggest. Ma Long is as opposite in personality to what his play style seems to be than I could imagine. Someone else pointed out the something similar for Fan Zhendong. From play style you wouldn't expect either of them to be shy and quiet. Right?

I think play style really might be more a result of physical aptitudes. Two of the best defensive players I know have two of the most aggressive personalities I've ever come across. And the two best offensive players I know one is over 2600 and one is over 2700, both of them are very calm, laid back guys.

It is not a large enough sample to really draw conclusions but.....

This user has no status.
Well, it takes two jumps to get from personality to play style.

Personality -> How you feel about ping pong -> Play style

Personality:
I'm a pretty optimistic guy and I don't really feel bad about losses. I care most about learning and improving. Losses are learning experiences.

How I feel about ping pong:
I don't feel bad about missing shots. I care about learning and improving, so I take risky shots, because I believe that improving requires that you become familiar with difficult shots and scenarios. I feel that power shots are cool. I've watched the professionals play. So I know what I should be doing.

Play Style:
I am a lefty penholder. I almost always get to attack first because my serve and attack game is pretty nice. And I loop fast and spinny. Of course, I favor my forehand. I almost always try to go for a counterloop instead of a block(I'm getting a lot better at it :D ). People say that I am really aggressive and my game is pretty flashy(like crowd pleasing/ like Xu Xin). However, people also say that I rush and that I am too eager to attack.

Are you me?

This user has no status.
Now... from personal experience I would argue that mood swings are more closely related to playing style....

For instance when I'm overly stressed, or even angry I tend to play more aggressively... Which is one of main reasons I play in the place...

When I'm not under so much pressure at work my natural personality takes over, then I play more relaxed allowing my opponent more room to perform, as opposed to completely whooping their €&@"<#% and wining the game 11-3 for instance...

I'm normally pretty laid back and accessible ????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk