Using a Blade designed for table tennis - Why isn't everyone making the switch!?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
I usually just lurk on here but since it seems that not many people have real-time exposure to the tenaly, so I'll add my experience with it.

On the spectrum of EJ's I would considered myself high. I've spent well over 15k usd in the last couple of years on table tennis equipment (when I started playing more seriously). I say this not to "embarrass" myself, but mainly for perspective. I've owned 3 different Tenaly's (Carbon, Acoustic Carbon, and Acoustic).

I was excited about the idea of the Tenaly and really tried to make it work (hence, why I bought 3 different ones) but in the end I couldn't really make it "click". I would say that it actually feels great on the FH side- so if you are FH dominate, then I could be a really nice blade to try. For me, it's biggest pitfall was in the BH. While the angle of the bat for the BH is nice for doing something like blocking, the way that the angle is set actually makes it more difficult to loop and generate the kind of spin that you can with a traditional blade handle when using you wrist properly to follow through on the stroke. My BH is my strength, so this was a deal breaker for me. This also becomes more apparent in real-time matches and not just hitting back and forth with a partner.

I will say again that I think that the Tenaly is a nice, fun blade for people who have interest in trying something new... but with how Important the BH his in the modern game, I would be very surprised to see anyone over 2300 USATT rating play with it seriously.
Really appreciate your input here. I'm probably going to pick one up out of curiosity but don't want to spend $100+ on the Acoustic versions.

Are the original and carbon versions close in quality enough to get a good experience with these blades? How would you compare the Tenaly Carbon to other popular inner blades? (I'm interested in that the most due to its low cost and because already using inner carbon blade).

Reactions: Sland
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Really appreciate your input here. I'm probably going to pick one up out of curiosity but don't want to spend $100+ on the Acoustic versions.

Are the original and carbon versions close in quality enough to get a good experience with these blades? How would you compare the Tenaly Carbon to other popular inner blades? (I'm interested in that the most due to its low cost and because already using inner carbon blade).
Of course and totally understand.

To be honest, the thing that felt the most obvious difference-wise between the blades I have used, is that the normal "carbon" version had a slightly more slim handle and is usually lighter in weight than the other blades... very interesting as the acoustic and acoustic carbon had the same handle size. If you use grip tape, then this probably isn't a big deal at all, but it's definitely worth noting and found it strange.

This website was pretty nice to order from and they still have most of the Tenalys at a discount. While you're browsing, if you keep all of them in tabs and switch back and forth from each of them, you'll see that the normal carbon blade does look a little different when examining the handle.

To answer your last question, I would say that if you are using a high quality inner carbon blade, then I would actually chose the Acoustic Carbon. It has nittaku's "FE Carbon" which is the same carbon the put in their more premium blades and definitely felt more solid and trustworthy if I were to compare it to the normal Tenaly carbon blade. I hate to be the guy that recommends the higher priced item, but in this case, the good ol' quote "you get what you pay for" certainly rings true.

Also worth noting (to anyone that is wanting to buy a Tenaly) know that if you use rubbers on these blades, don't expect to be able to salvage them and use them on a normal cut blade and vice versa- the shape is too different.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
Of course and totally understand.

To be honest, the thing that felt the most obvious difference-wise between the blades I have used, is that the normal "carbon" version had a slightly more slim handle and is usually lighter in weight than the other blades... very interesting as the acoustic and acoustic carbon had the same handle size. If you use grip tape, then this probably isn't a big deal at all, but it's definitely worth noting and found it strange.

This website was pretty nice to order from and they still have most of the Tenalys at a discount. While you're browsing, if you keep all of them in tabs and switch back and forth from each of them, you'll see that the normal carbon blade does look a little different when examining the handle.

To answer your last question, I would say that if you are using a high quality inner carbon blade, then I would actually chose the Acoustic Carbon. It has nittaku's "FE Carbon" which is the same carbon the put in their more premium blades and definitely felt more solid and trustworthy if I were to compare it to the normal Tenaly carbon blade. I hate to be the guy that recommends the higher priced item, but in this case, the good ol' quote "you get what you pay for" certainly rings true.

Also worth noting (to anyone that is wanting to buy a Tenaly) know that if you use rubbers on these blades, don't expect to be able to salvage them and use them on a normal cut blade and vice versa- the shape is too different.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thanks for the reply again. It's harder to justify $120 vs $60 for a "see how I like it" handle. It's odd that they would change the handle size between the models though. They are listed as the same size on the Nittaku site, though I guess width is measured at the largest part not the narrowest.

I'll be in Tokyo so I can just compare them side to side and see if it's a big difference in comfort.

I understand the blade face is smaller so you can't transfer rubbers to normal blades. But will my used rubber from my current normal sized blades transfer to the tenaly OK?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the reply again. It's harder to justify $120 vs $60 for a "see how I like it" handle. It's odd that they would change the handle size between the models though. They are listed as the same size on the Nittaku site, though I guess width is measured at the largest part not the narrowest.

I'll be in Tokyo so I can just compare them side to side and see if it's a big difference in comfort.

I understand the blade face is smaller so you can't transfer rubbers to normal blades. But will my used rubber from my current normal sized blades transfer to the tenaly OK?

My bad, to answer the question you asked more directly, if you were buying blind I would get the normal Tenaly for 55 over the carbon one for 69. If you just wanted to try it that should be enough to get a good feeling for it.

If you are going to be in Tokyo, that's great and if you get a chance to hold them each differently you can probably determine for yourself what is best.

As far as regluing rubbers from normal shaped blades, if I remember correctly rubber from a standard viscaria (157x150) covered most of the face of the Tenaly, but you had to angle it to the side and it did not completely fit flush horizontally to the top edge of the handle. Definitely playable, though.

Good luck and have fun on your search!

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
My prototype:

Attachments

• IMG_7378.jpeg
    IMG_7378.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7379.jpeg
    IMG_7379.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
  • eefcf84c-cd95-4e48-bb53-46d419f40324.jpeg
    eefcf84c-cd95-4e48-bb53-46d419f40324.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 10c3a741-cbe9-4118-91c1-ddcb448a28ee.jpeg
    10c3a741-cbe9-4118-91c1-ddcb448a28ee.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: doppelganger_LT
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Barna Satbilty:

Attachments

• IMG_7441.jpeg
    IMG_7441.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7440.jpeg
    IMG_7440.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Please if you ever play table tennis, then custom handles are the most common part of the design, but for the sake of human understanding, the answer is weight, center of balance and movement.

says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
says I'm still learning Table Tennis.
Nov 2022
SNTEA-nittaku-tenaly-acoustic.jpg

I've checked tabletennis11.com. I want to try this blade. I'm infected with EJ virus. Can't help myself. LOL.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Tischtennis-Manufaktur.de (Stefan Elsner)

Attachments

• IMG_0633.png
    IMG_0633.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0625.png
    IMG_0625.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 28
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Only saw this (op post) today.
there has been all kinds of blades for decades (maybe not where OP lives, but all kinds of design isn't new).

There are all kinds of designs and grips, and not many has made it work.
So until someone who can make it work, the chances of world wide usage will be slim.
cybershape backed with a tier 1 brand and a top world level player, to me, is really niche (more sold than all the other designs though).

It also doesn't make sense that TT companies who actually have experts employed "haven't discovered" the next big thing. Maybe they have, and maybe its not as good as what OP points it out to be.

As I said, there are all kinds of unique grips, both in SH and CP. At most, it is niche today and you see more of it in the amateur space than professional space.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
My Tena-shape ist ready.
Cant wait to test it on sunday.

Feels very smooth and promising!View attachment 28940View attachment 28941
For some reason the tenaly handle looks less bizarre and more fitting with a Cybershape head. Having angled blade edges to go with an angled handle gives off a more coherent vibe.

Also what are the construction details of that blade? Outer plies look like black limba?

This user has no status.
Its black limba-zirbelkiefer-basalt-3mm kiri-okoume-93g pure carbonfiber-cherry (fireland).

Zirbelkiefer behaves a bit like spruce, okoume is a bit like abachi but the batch I got is lighter. The cherry is supposed to be quite hard, but the batch I got is very soft and light, id say in between koto and limba.