EJs wanted! a rubber similar to Adidas P7

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2015
Hello!

I'm seeking an experienced EJer to advise where to find a rubber that plays similar to Adidas P7.

With Adidas pulling out of table tennis and leaving us all stranded without P5 & P7... I'm looking for a suitable replacement for when my supply runs dry.

Any ideas?

This user has no status.
Rakza 7. Similar spin, feel and speed. But it is much more bouncy.
Omega V Europa. Similar Spin and speed. I do not like the feeling. Control is way better. Weights a lot more.
Fastarc G1. A lot harder but plays similar. Is very dead, not remotely bouncy. You must go for every shot. Same speed, spin and throw. I liked the feel.

Id go for Rakza 7. I own bunch of sheets in different paddles. Doesnt have quality control problem, all of em plays the same. Durability is superb. I have a pair on Rosewood V since april. id say i used it for 7hour per week. Looks and behave like new. I played with a friend with my Ludeack (P7 and P3) then after i played with my Tenor (Rakza 7 and Rakza PO), he said the Tenor setup was way more spinny than Ludeack's. He couldnt handle my 3rd ball opening or mid distance loops.

I got startled by Adidas shutdown too. I used P7 and P3 for 1 months extensively ( 36 hours per week) and i liked it very much. But still, Rakza 7 is a very good replacement.
I hope i helped you in some way.

Grateful,
Raul Pacheco.

Last edited:
Reactions: josephluck
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would wait till you get to that point where you do actually have to change. The technology of the rubber industry is actually changing pretty fast. You never know: there may be some new rubbers out that are better than the latest, greatest stuff now.

But the way I see it, at this point several companies have a top of the line rubber that would work. You choose your combination of FH and BH rubbers and after a few hours of training with the new ones and you will adjust to them.

Sent from MountOlympus via Hermes'Caduceus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I went back to P7 on the FH a few months ago - still a great rubber. So I then went through the same thought process about finding a replacement once stocks dried up. The suggestions here are all pretty good TBH, but it depends on how close to P7 you want to get. NL's suggestion of 5Q+ is good, and I'd like to throw Donic Baracuda in there too.

P7 is an old-gen tensor now. If you like how they played then it's probably best to try and stay in that general area. I actually sent an email to ESN asking if anyone there knew which rubber was the closest to P7 in terms of construction (after all, they make all the tensors so they should know). I didn't get a direct reply, but I did get a spooky PM on a German TT forum a few days after asking if I was the person who sent the email. After a short back-and-forth, they said that Xiom Omega IV Asia was the closest in terms of nuts-and-bolts. Now, I remember O4A being a bit faster than P7, but I recall the topsheet being very similar, so this makes some sense to me.

However! I find that I play better with the plastic ball with the newer-gen tensors overall - I feel the older-gen topsheets slip sometimes, especially in humid conditions. So if you wanted to try a more recent rubber with a hard sponge/soft topsheet combination like P7 then Xiom Omega V Asia is the closest I've tried (which is just sheer coincidence WRT the above suggestion from the mysterious German), but again is faster than P7.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I went back to P7 on the FH a few months ago - still a great rubber. So I then went through the same thought process about finding a replacement once stocks dried up. The suggestions here are all pretty good TBH, but it depends on how close to P7 you want to get. NL's suggestion of 5Q+ is good, and I'd like to throw Donic Baracuda in there too.

P7 is an old-gen tensor now. If you like how they played then it's probably best to try and stay in that general area. I actually sent an email to ESN asking if anyone there knew which rubber was the closest to P7 in terms of construction (after all, they make all the tensors so they should know). I didn't get a direct reply, but I did get a spooky PM on a German TT forum a few days after asking if I was the person who sent the email. After a short back-and-forth, they said that Xiom Omega IV Asia was the closest in terms of nuts-and-bolts. Now, I remember O4A being a bit faster than P7, but I recall the topsheet being very similar, so this makes some sense to me.

However! I find that I play better with the plastic ball with the newer-gen tensors overall - I feel the older-gen topsheets slip sometimes, especially in humid conditions. So if you wanted to try a more recent rubber with a hard sponge/soft topsheet combination like P7 then Xiom Omega V Asia is the closest I've tried (which is just sheer coincidence WRT the above suggestion from the mysterious German), but again is faster than P7.

I would have said Donic Baracuda as well, but I find Andro Hexer to be a tad bit closer as it is less sensitive than Baracuda in the short game and more similar to P7 in that regard. But I guess the class with Hexer, Genius and Baracuda is a pretty tough group, even if they never matched Tenergy. Many players still play pretty well with that stuff.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl