The longest number 1 player...maybe

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Since many asked who held the longest no1, so I thought I would post this thread. Wang Liqin is the longest in the modern era.

I think the longest no1 is held by a Hungarian named VICTOR BARNA. He held it in 1931, 1932, and 1933/34. The ranking record disappeared and emerged again in 1938, and Victor was ranked no2 then. He might had held longer.

He was the world champion in the year 1930, 1932,33,34,35. And that's only in singles! 8-time World Doubles Ch: 1929-1935,1939. Mixed Doubles World Ch: 1932,35. And over 40 championship around the world (pro tours equivalent)
. He also published a book named "How To Win At Table Tennis" in 1957. I had a copy, but a friend borrowed it, and he lent it to another, and the another lent it to another, and so forth...and now it's history.

barna2.jpg
THE MAN!!!

hbPHOTObrna.jpg
hbPHOTObrnabk.jpg
PICTURES OF VICTOR ON A CIGARETTE CARD..and he was not even a smoker!! hahaha

Video of Victor Barna. Victor is the one using his BH predominantly. Who ever said you shouldn't use you BH on the FH side..hehehe

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Very nice thread sir Azlan !

He is LEGEND !
Thats what I know, probably no one will ever come close to his achievments back then. Woo :)

However its still a different age and heck of a different equipment, so I am curious of what he could achieve these days.
He died in 1972 at 61 years old.
The chap he played with in the video (Marty Reisman) is still playing hardbat nowadays !

Make sure to check his data @ Wiki !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Barna

Mar 2011
Cheers Yosua and Carl. It's nice to share a little bit of history of our beloved sport..especially to the younger ones. By the way, Fred Perry, the British tennis champion was also a table tennis champion. I think he won the world championship in 1929. Who would have guessed?? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Pretty epic back then. I take it they were using hardbat or something to that nature. It's crazy that he dominated the sport with his backhand. I wonder if that could ever be done today? Who knows maybe somebody will develop a system for BH play lol.

That should be killers though haha. U'll be so out of position with the type of shots this guy does xD. Dima and Bentsen are examples of extremely BH orientated players at times, but to dominate the sport some Chinese guy should get this style, and that's not gonna happen in thier practise halls I guess :D

Mar 2011
Don't forget the one titled as "Father of Table Tennis", Zoltan Mechlovits !
mechlovits.jpg

And look how alike he is to Indonesian's TT athlete, David Jacobs !
David+Jacob.jpg

Dude...that's so uncanny. Are you sure he's not the same person but he assumed the identity of David Jacob now? Could be you know. hahaha he doesn't want to give away his secret on how to live forever...