Please help. Please Don't ignore. Very Urgent . BLADE SELECTION

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
I would say Viscaria because Butterfly had pretty much define what an offensive blade is like in terms of head dimension, handle size and balance for others to follow. The design of HL5 is odd as it has a bigger than normal blade face (160mm+), thin handle and heavy in weight (95g+). It may be a cannon but the weight and balance will hinder continuity in the modern game with 40+ balls. The whole setup with modern rubbers can go above 200g easy. But if you possess the power of Ma Long then probably this is the one for you.

Anyway DHS is about to revise their Hurricane series blades and they are about to cut down the head size of HL5 to facilitate continuity. For that we will have to wait and see.

Where did you read or how do you know dhs is going to revise and what do you mean by revise. Are they coming up with a new blade or a different kind of hl5

This user has no status.
This is very sketchy. If your a professional player then your coach should have already gave you advice before you moved. If you did have a coach then you should be able to call him or email him about your problem. I don't know who you really are so I can't say if you're professional or not.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Feb 2016
I think you become a professional player the day you go to sleep and dream you beat ma long 4-0
I had this dream so I can definitely say I'm a professional.
mrspin probably had the same experience, so I'd say we are both pros.
amateur players are nextlevel, upsidedowncarl, ttmonster and der_etche.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
i would say equipment is pretty important especially to a very high level player. the HL series have a extremely narrow handle that may not be liked by everyone or preferred for a smaller hand etc.
if pro's could just use anything and it wasnt important then i'd expect a much bigger range of equipment. why is FZD using a BTY blade despite stiga sponsership if it doesnt matter. why isnt ZJK using butterfly forehand etc

by the sound of it its important to get this right for now and look to get a sponsor and a coach which seems to be somthing he/she is working on

i'd agree about the professional being banded about a bit much though.

A professional player may care about their equipment quite a bit but they'd also have the equipment readily available to test out instead of going to a forum where there may be one or 2 professional players to ask advice to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you become a professional player the day you go to sleep and dream you beat ma long 4-0
I had this dream so I can definitely say I'm a professional.
mrspin probably had the same experience, so I'd say we are both pros.
amateur players are nextlevel, upsidedowncarl, ttmonster and der_etche.

Lol. Pretty entertaining.

I'm going to leave alone the term "professional" since Mr.Spin has said he is sorry he used the term.

Even if you are a decently high level amateur, or a mid level amateur, you should be able to hit for 15 min with each and know which one you like better.

The truth is, if you grab two cue cards, put the words ML5 on one and Viscaria the other put them on a dart board; and find someone who is drunk and blindfold them; then have them throw darts till one of the selections is hit with a dart; if you use that one, it will be good.

What about getting a DHS W997 blade? That is the special (some say National) version of the ML5 that supposed to be what Ma Long actually plays with.

But there are so many good blades you could use.

What blade do you actually use? Can you show footage of you playing? What are the reasons you want to change equipment? What rubbers are you using?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

This user has no status.
Mr.Spin, this definitely sounds strange. You say that you are a professional but you moved to a place where you have no coach. That sounds like ruining the career. I will say something that I know for sure : a professional U18 player will never ever move to a place where he is going to have worse training, not to say about no coach at all. Some guys may have been more direct and brutal, but I also don't believe you are a professional player.

Why wouldn't a professional beg for advice to some unknown amateurs on a forum? Because an amateur and a professional look at a piece of equipment in absolutely different ways.

Secondly, how many professional offensive players are there that haven't tried a Viscaria in their life?

By the way, what blade have you been playing until now and why do you need a new one?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
But there are so many good blades you could use.

What blade do you actually use? Can you show footage of you playing? What are the reasons you want to change equipment? What rubbers are you using?

Mr.Spin, if you need some help please answer the questions that Carl asked. This is vital information to help you with your doubts.

just a correction, Carl... ML is using a custom DHS W968 blade. He had done that for a long period now :)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I think mrspin probably plays for his national junior team.
this is not like being top 10 in the world where you get blades and rubbers at your disposal.
but I think it's still not tooooooo wrong that he calls himself a "pro".
after all, what is a pro?

honestly I prefer viscaria unless you are gonna boost hard like ma long.
if you don't boost hurricane long v feels dead, it's like using an off- blade.
if you are already used to boosting and use hurricane III then maybe hl5 would be good.
but with tenergy and specifically with not boosted tenergy I think viscaria is more dangerous.
I have owned both blades :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Nicolas Alvarez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I think Mr. resident evil is quite correct in his post above. He is a junior national team member, he probably does not have accesses to as much equipment as quote unquote pro will have. Believe me when I say the sports infrastructure in India for the most part, other than Cricket pretty much sucks. There is even a dearth of good coaches who can actually show you the correct technique. But without going into it, lets just treat his request at face value and give him advice he is asking for. Case in point, you guys might remember that strangeloop in his thread about serve practice said he lives in Hyderabad, the city very near to from where Sharath Achanta Kamal grew up ( his mother tongue is telegu ) and he does not have access to quality Plastic ball or cannot afford them, people in India are still playing with older generation Chinese rubber and Older generation Blades . Its not their fault , its just the way it is ... that is why you see so many international players putting pips on their backhands and slapping instead of looping ...

I understand his situation because I have grown up pretty much in the same environment , that is the reason I gave him a short and sweet answer of Viscaria the first time he created a poll , and the next time he created a thread told him to look at ZJK ALC ... lets say he will probably buy this blade for the next 10 years unless he beats Sharath Kamal in the next nationals and gets sponsored by a German team or invited to train with Swedish coaches :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Mr.Spin, if you need some help please answer the questions that Carl asked. This is vital information to help you with your doubts.

just a correction, Carl... ML is using a custom DHS W968 blade. He had done that for a long period now :)

Hahaha. He has changed enough times that I've lost track of which one is which. Both are supposed to be pretty decent.

Do you still have access to those blades?

Where did you read or how do you know dhs is going to revise and what do you mean by revise. Are they coming up with a new blade or a different kind of hl5

It seems DHS is going to change the blade head size for HL5 but not sure about the wood plys, handle and etc.

Currently, there is a price reduction for HL5.

Reactions: Nicolas Alvarez
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews

Someone in China test the new HL5 and report the differences. I can't locate the article at the moment but found another video that talks about it.

http://www.chuantt.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=6136
new HL5.jpg

Basically the biggest difference is the smaller blade face to go inline with their National version. Also the outlook without any printing and small changes to the serial number. The new HL5 is about 4g lighter then the old.

In the video he talks about the Hurricane Bo, the new HL5 and the new DHS plastic balls.

From the website of DHS China they have already renew their pages with all the new Hurricane series.

http://www.dhs-sports.com/malong/
new HL5b.jpg

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
if they make the head smaller it will end up being another butterfly innerforce alc.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Kind of funny to hear that the DHS representative talks about the size of blade face. He said National versions are generally smaller and amatuer likes heavier blades so they design their market versions with bigger blade face. But customer feedback request the market versions to be of the same shape and sizes as National ones, so DHS is updating their Hurricane series and unified the blade size to make everyone happy. I wonder who gave them the idea of heavier blades in the first place. I always thought that only pro desire heavy blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hahaha. He has changed enough times that I've lost track of which one is which. Both are supposed to be pretty decent.

Do you still have access to those blades?

Haha yeah I agree. :) Both blades are decent as you say. The notable difference is that the W997 has more flex than the W968.

I still have access to the W968 blade, but it is pretty difficult to get atm. The W997 from my knowledge discontinued awhile ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Kind of funny to hear that the DHS representative talks about the size of blade face. He said National versions are generally smaller and amatuer likes heavier blades so they design their market versions with bigger blade face. But customer feedback request the market versions to be of the same shape and sizes as National ones, so DHS is updating their Hurricane series and unified the blade size to make everyone happy. I wonder who gave them the idea of heavier blades in the first place. I always thought that only pro desire heavy blades.

there are many w997 and w968 for sale out there, some are said to be real.
for example here

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...e-W968-blade-Hurricane-3-neo-national-rubbers

if your theory is right everything is fake because the size of those blades are the same as hl5.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Haha yeah I agree. :) Both blades are decent as you say. The notable difference is that the W997 has more flex than the W968.

I still have access to the W968 blade, but it is pretty difficult to get atm. The W997 from my knowledge discontinued awhile ago.

Well then, as to our OP's inquiry:

I am really confused between dhs Hurricane Long 5 and Bty Viscaria . My game is open and attack with topspin.....My rubbers are tenergy 05 fh and tenergy 64 bh. Please help me choose the blade thank you.

Mr.Spin, you may want to contact Giangt because he has access to a blade that is special and more likely to be what you want since it is a model that was originally designed for a real professional and not a commercial version of the HL5. So, if you want the actual blade designed for Ma Long and not the commercial version, contact Giang.