Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Let's see what happens.
Yesterday, I was tense as hell and couldn't play well.

My goals for today are playing as relaxed as I can and going slightly lower by squatting more. I've done the conditioning and I can control my muscle activation well enough at my current level to play relaxed, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to. At this point it's largely mental.

Let's see what happens.

This user has no status.
I hate colds.. They make you do such stupid things when you have to much time on your hands..

a9b8cfd3e51e874d019b9949b97d2c3a.jpg

One good thing that did happen was me taring of those yinhe neptune LP rubbers from the old Ehrlich.

25164b169467479ab0c16ae73b2db972.jpg

This one is going in to a glass cabinet.. Some got them for wiskey.. Mine is going to be for old blades!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Good morning TTD Chit Chatters!

Last night (Sorry Archo!) I had to do something with my wife first. When we finished, there was still some time before the club closed. Showed up and hit with my regular training partner, another 1400 - SH - 62 yrs old, and i mainly short stroke and long stroke looped... wasn't concentrating on proper form, was tense from the whole day's activities ... but glad i got in some hitting

Finished up with some long downspin serves to partner so he can 2nd ball loop.

So yeah, tonight, hopefully (take it easy on me Archo!) i will get 2 to 3 hrs of TT in LOL ... will concentrate on 3rd ball loops ... also concentrate on some proper form/technique overall for looping ... not sure if i can video my hitting/games as my droid phone has periodically acted wonky with a reboot loop it goes through :(

Have a great day/afternoon/evening TTDers!

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Just relax ... easy to say, hard to do!

Good luck!

Yesterday, I was tense as hell and couldn't play well.

My goals for today are playing as relaxed as I can and going slightly lower by squatting more. I've done the conditioning and I can control my muscle activation well enough at my current level to play relaxed, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to. At this point it's largely mental.

Let's see what happens.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
Good morning TTD Chit Chatters!

Last night (Sorry Archo!) I had to do something with my wife first. When we finished, there was still some time before the club closed. Showed up and hit with my regular training partner, another 1400 - SH - 62 yrs old, and i mainly short stroke and long stroke looped... wasn't concentrating on proper form, was tense from the whole day's activities ... but glad i got in some hitting

Finished up with some long downspin serves to partner so he can 2nd ball loop.

So yeah, tonight, hopefully (take it easy on me Archo!) i will get 2 to 3 hrs of TT in LOL ... will concentrate on 3rd ball loops ... also concentrate on some proper form/technique overall for looping ... not sure if i can video my hitting/games as my droid phone has periodically acted wonky with a reboot loop it goes through :(

Have a great day/afternoon/evening TTDers!

Still tence after doing stuff to your wife all day??
Man...

;)

says what [IMG]
I'm back. Today was slightly better. I'm moving more towards a super loose grip, mostly only really holding on with the index and thumb, but it'll take some time. Haven't really got much whip going on consistently, so I gotta relax more. Every time I feel like I'm relaxed, later in the day I feel much MORE relaxed, so evidently there is progress to be made. :rolleyes:

I know self hitting is not really useful to post compared to games, but seeing as no one wants to be filmed, and I'm a bit too embarrassed to have someone hold my phone and film just me, it's something at least.

I put the camera on, did these hits and then chose to upload whatever came out of it. So the quality in the shots is pretty lousy and I can do better self hitting shots, but I think it reflects my "real" quality that I get in games. As in, the shots I can actually perform consistently. Swing speed is not too high, and contact is not too good, but I can land them.

Feel free to nitpick anything. I think my posture and how I use my legs needs a lot of work.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
my old racket had custom-grooved handle I worked on over time, facilitated my serves ... with my new racket which I didn't shave down much, not getting the serves as well as with my old deceased racket

OSP... shave away !!! is somehow you shave too much, someone got a piece of cork laying around real handy to glue on hte handle and shave back down again !! Penholders in Korea did this all the time over there, no big deal. Go for it !!

I used to have a file that I would shave/file my blade's handle with. Used to keep it with my racket case. After 2 weeks searching, I can't find it. Went out during lunch and bought a file set. Forgot to buy sandpaper.

Will start shaving/filing the handle tonight. I believe, rightly or wrongly, that this will improve my grip which will improve all aspects of my game. May be the psychological crutch i need in my 'unretirement' lol

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
On a serious note: Today I googled Arylate and Hinoki.. Not good! I have to get back to my other EJ-hobbies!

Try:

Zylon + Hinoki = Photino

Photino = Rocket Launcher

I wonder if PNut would approve of my formula???

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
....and I'm a bit too embarrassed to have someone hold my phone and film just me, it's something at least.

What you are embarrassed of is, in fact, exactly what you want. If the video is filming JUST YOU from a few specific angles, and not from any of the angles you usually seem to film from, you will be able to see what you are actually doing when hitting with a real human.

The person who needs to see you doing that is you. I personally am not concerned with whether you post or not. But I have a feeling, what you see when you are hitting with a real person will be enlightening.

If the person filming has only you in the video you will be able to see the form of your stroke better because you will be larger.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
What you are embarrassed of is, in fact, exactly what you want. If the video is filming JUST YOU from a few specific angles, and not from any of the angles you usually seem to film from, you will be able to see what you are actually doing when hitting with a real human.

The person who needs to see you doing that is you. I personally am not concerned with whether you post or not. But I have a feeling, what you see when you are hitting with a real person will be enlightening.

If the person filming has only you in the video you will be able to see the form of your stroke better because you will be larger.

It's not my playing that I'm embarrassed of. It's having to essentially have someone stand there, filming just me for however long it takes to get decent material to analyze. I'm enough of a tryhard as it is. :rolleyes:

Although I have filmed some ancient sessions from a pretty crappy angle, and it was indeed enlightening. For one, I wasn't doing strokes at all how I think I was doing them, and I was moving far less distance and far less efficiently than I felt I was.

Now, I have more of an idea of what my game looks like from 3rd person. But it'd be indeed good to basically film every game I play, everyday, to be able to review them. I know I'm standing higher than I feel I am, in pretty much every game I play. My stroke technique is inconsistent too.

I'm usually not opposed to bothering people, but I'm too much of a candy ass to have someone sit there for 20 - 30 minutes filming me everyday, so I will just keep doing things as I am doing them, but push for more, because what I'm doing now is evidently not correct. I've improved, at least.

The most important thing I'm working on right now, apart from staying low, is having reference points for my good strokes, so that I can perform them more often.

Carl, you're fairly good with human movement: how is my posture in the video? It's not uncomfortable or anything, but something looks strange to me on video...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Currently sick of table tennis if you can believe that. Trained a lot and learned a lot over the past week and a half working with Brett and watching him work with others. The sport is extremely fascinating and you can only marvel at how little you know compared to what you thought you knew.

I accidentally exposed some playlists and video that I shouldn't have so if you by chance got one of them, please do not share it.

The one thing that became much better over the week and a half of training and learning was what Brett considered the optimal whip pattern for serves and most strokes. I was close to it, but he noticed some missing stuff in person that I fixed.

Brett is sick with those serves. My favorite new story (which makes me regret I didn't get it on video) took place at Westchester TTC yesterday night. Someone (a friend of mine) was talking about the impact of equipment on his ability to do good serves. Brett basically grabbed a ball and served with the palm of his hand and got heavy backspin that came back to the net (he claims he had never done it before, but that was just too funny) and then said that if you produce the right whip pattern, it works, equipment doesn't matter. My friend, who is an EJ, just quietly kept on keeping on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Brett is sick with those serves. My favorite new story (which makes me regret I didn't get it on video) took place at Westchester TTC yesterday night. Someone (a friend of mine) was talking about the impact of equipment on his ability to do good serves. Brett basically grabbed a ball and served with the palm of his hand and got heavy backspin that came back to the net (he claims he had never done it before, but that was just too funny) and then said that if you produce the right whip pattern, it works, equipment doesn't matter. My friend, who is an EJ, just quietly kept on keeping on.

DAYUM! DOUBLE DAYUM!

Great story, thank you for sharing!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I'm usually not opposed to bothering people, but I'm too much of a candy ass to have someone sit there for 20 - 30 minutes filming me everyday....

All you need is the guy to film 15-30, seconds from 3 to 5 different angles. You will see the same things over and over.

If it takes 30 min for you to see something good happen, the. That is not the stuff you need to see. Once ever 2 weeks, you get someone to spend 5 min making short clips.

I've gotten in the habit of having people make 15 second clips because those are short enough to email and in that amount of time, if you are not editing you see the things you need to see to help yourself improve your technique.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Carl, you're fairly good with human movement: how is my posture in the video? It's not uncomfortable or anything, but something looks strange to me on video...

The theory of getting low, the philosophical idea of it, has caused you to not understand what it is for. And so you're getting low in a way that is not quite what you want and you are quite stiff as a result.

Also your weight is too far back in your heels even though your upper body is going forwards.

This user has no status.
It's not my playing that I'm embarrassed of. It's having to essentially have someone stand there, filming just me for however long it takes to get decent material to analyze. I'm enough of a tryhard as it is. :rolleyes:

Although I have filmed some ancient sessions from a pretty crappy angle, and it was indeed enlightening. For one, I wasn't doing strokes at all how I think I was doing them, and I was moving far less distance and far less efficiently than I felt I was.

Now, I have more of an idea of what my game looks like from 3rd person. But it'd be indeed good to basically film every game I play, everyday, to be able to review them. I know I'm standing higher than I feel I am, in pretty much every game I play. My stroke technique is inconsistent too.

I'm usually not opposed to bothering people, but I'm too much of a candy ass to have someone sit there for 20 - 30 minutes filming me everyday, so I will just keep doing things as I am doing them, but push for more, because what I'm doing now is evidently not correct. I've improved, at least.

The most important thing I'm working on right now, apart from staying low, is having reference points for my good strokes, so that I can perform them more often.

You could buy a tripod and mount a cheap camera onto, or buy a new camera as well?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Currently sick of table tennis if you can believe that. Trained a lot and learned a lot over the past week and a half working with Brett and watching him work with others. The sport is extremely fascinating and you can only marvel at how little you know compared to what you thought you knew.

I accidentally exposed some playlists and video that I shouldn't have so if you by chance got one of them, please do not share it.

The one thing that became much better over the week and a half of training and learning was what Brett considered the optimal whip pattern for serves and most strokes. I was close to it, but he noticed some missing stuff in person that I fixed.

Now this sounds like a much more interesting topic.

Wish I could have been there. Sounds awesome.

And after a week and a half of working with someone like Brett a few days of being saturated makes sense. Might even be good for your absorption rate to take a few days off.

This user has no status.
Try:

Zylon + Hinoki = Photino

Photino = Rocket Launcher

I wonder if PNut would approve of my formula???

Nah man, no butterfy's..
Im slappin on a insanly cut and boosted h3 neo on that old pg7 to see if it has some chance to be a player.
Reading up on that blade it should really crush the banda.. And it wasn't even close.. :)

says what [IMG]
Carl, getting low is for the sake of mobility primarily, isn't it? I've also seen it to help in everything to do with strokes, but I'm primarily interested in the mobility aspect.

I'm experimenting with where I keep my weight and what muscles I bias in the stance. Normally I am more forward, but I feel that it's not too good on the back. Here, I'm using more legs, squatting more. That's probably the reason why the weight is so far back.

To make it really simple and cut on all the theory crap, what exactly do I want to aim for in my stance? Bend knees as much as is comfortable and plant weight primarily onto my soles and that should do it?

EDIT: Actually, to add:

I'd want my chest in front of my toes, wouldn't I? I looked at the video, and my chest is hovering somewhere around the middle of my foot.

Last edited: