Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Forgot to add... I play at an Institute (In India) with about 100-120 serious players and 200+ who play just got fun. Currently I am the only penholder.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
Most of our penholders are older Chinese. But even they are slower and less powerful, their placement of ball and control can be very dangerous.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I am trying to imagine having a place to play with 300+ possible players!
Many hostels in the institute. Each have their own TT rooms. On the big TT hall only a handful (about 30-35) are regulars. Plus the load of the studies makes sone other guys skip a lot of sessions.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Many hostels in the institute. Each have their own TT rooms. On the big TT hall only a handful (about 30-35) are regulars. Plus the load of the studies makes sone other guys skip a lot of sessions.

Sounds like fun!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
By the way SFF_lib, how does a sticky hard rubber fair on a 10mm hinoki blade. I tried H3 before on a 10mm balsa blade bu to no good, too slow near the table and no dwell time from mid-far table. But yours is hinoki so is there any difference?

Hinoki (esp Japanese one) is different. It's fast but the ball can "sink" in like a spring. The ball doesn't leave immediately but the harder you hit the stronger the springy effects. It's very difficult to describe in words. But japanese one-ply hinoki are crafted arts. You have to try to find out.

I find Hurricane provincial (sponge not as hard) pairs very well with my hinoki.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
That sounds like balsa, but maybe not so dynamic hence the ball still have dwell time during hard hits. My new blade also has hinoki but only the outer plies. I should say the feel is great, a little closer to balsa feel despite having a carbon layer.

The chinese rubber-hinoki set-up is so uncommon. I wonder what your game style is? Is it closer to chinese style (full-arm swing, close table and more on 3rd ball attacks) or japanese style (footwork, hitting/blocking game close to the table, loop mid-table)?

I've always wanted to have one but they're expensive. I have 3 in mind: Xiom Power Hinoki, Nittaku Miyabi, and Darker Speed 15 (revolver).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That sounds like balsa, but maybe not so dynamic hence the ball still have dwell time during hard hits. My new blade also has hinoki but only the outer plies. I should say the feel is great, a little closer to balsa feel despite having a carbon layer.

The chinese rubber-hinoki set-up is so uncommon. I wonder what your game style is? Is it closer to chinese style (full-arm swing, close table and more on 3rd ball attacks) or japanese style (footwork, hitting/blocking game close to the table, loop mid-table)?

I've always wanted to have one but they're expensive. I have 3 in mind: Xiom Power Hinoki, Nittaku Miyabi, and Darker Speed 15 (revolver).

Bear in mind in the old days when Japanese hinoki trees were not protected, they harvested some of the oldest trees (the best quality). So you can wait for a 2nd hand Japanese hinoki blade. I bought two of my Darker speed 90 as 2nd hand.

Hinoki can be too bouncy in short game. I used to use T80 on my hinoki. Lost heaps of points in short game. That's the main reason I put Hurricane on my hinoki. Also Hurricane creates more spin than tenergy. Hinoki makes up for the lack of speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
RPB penholder....FH: 1.9 mm black Andro Rasant; BH: 2.0 mm red Tibhar 5q. Love looping from both FH and RPB. Weak on pushes (bent natural arm makes it a bit difficult...just a bit). Didn't like the carbon blade I had (yinhe t11+...no feel) so went back to all wood friendship blade.

Forgot to add... I play at an Institute (In India) with about 100-120 serious players and 200+ who play just got fun. Currently I am the only penholder.

Welcome to the thread!

300 players and you are the ONLY PH?

Have you found that playing PH gives you a slight advantage vs players about your level? Have you ever played against another PH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Welcome to the thread!

Have you found that playing PH gives you a slight advantage vs players about your level? Have you ever played against another PH?
Yup..I am the only one. I was a shakehand player earlier but tried penhold for fun a few times and found d that my bat angles and shot angles (on the table) are much more precise and controlled. That is why I decided to become a penholder and since then my game has improved drastically.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Welcome to the thread!

And of course much better serves.
Welcome to the thread!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews

I have just moved to a new departement. There is about 2000 players in my new departement and my old together and I am the only one non chinese PH.

In France it's very often like this

.... But sometimes an exception, for example Felix Lebrun, the son of the retired international player stéphane Lebrun. Felix is young, plays PH and already a good player :

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have just moved to a new departement. There is about 2000 players in my new departement and my old together and I am the only one non chinese PH.

In France it's very often like this

.... But sometimes an exception, for example Felix Lebrun, the son of the retired international player stéphane Lebrun. Felix is young, plays PH and already a good player :

Sir,

Merci beaucoup for the vid! It's heartening to see this! I take it his father was NOT a PH, yet, he plays PH. Very cool!!

Thank you again!

~osph

p.s. not sure if it's me, about 2:00- seems like he has a more traditional PH grip and RPB loops. However, notice on the preview of the vid, he has one of the RPB grips.

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Recently found a forehand loop video by Yoo Nam Kyu. I can't understand Korean but there are lots of good stuff in it.

Reactions: Flatstyk
This user has no status.
Bear in mind in the old days when Japanese hinoki trees were not protected, they harvested some of the oldest trees (the best quality). So you can wait for a 2nd hand Japanese hinoki blade. I bought two of my Darker speed 90 as 2nd hand.

Hinoki can be too bouncy in short game. I used to use T80 on my hinoki. Lost heaps of points in short game. That's the main reason I put Hurricane on my hinoki. Also Hurricane creates more spin than tenergy. Hinoki makes up for the lack of speed.

This is so true. Hurricane feels super nice on the Speed 90. But not all Hinoki feel the same. Speed 90 is the higher quality wood that you are talking about. It is "softer" compared to Speed 70, and the feeling is superior. I'm not sure if there is someone else on this forum that can verify it, but from what I've experienced, the better/softer Hinoki gives me greater shot feeling while maintaining a very spring like speed. The Speed 90 is the only wood blade that feels better than my OSP Virtuoso, but it's a jpen and a very different style of play.