Best FH in the Eyes of Former and Current Japanese Players

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://youtu.be/0d7kPLgOQTk
Link above is broken. Subtitles for original videos below.

@2:24-4:20
Next question
Sakamoto-san(Ryusuke Sakamoto), you have an excellent serve
Your FH and BH are also very good, very high quality
But even so, of the ones you have faced, which player produced shots you thought you had no chance?
Wang Liqin
It's gotta be him, right?
- Scary
I thought I was hallucinating
WLQ, huh?
I never want to face him again
How do you make a shot like that?
Overpowered AF
Kaboom!
Have you seen the highlight video between WLQ and Timo, that shot?
I know x2
- It's that shot
On top of that, coupled with his height
That forehand drive is out of the world
So true
- He's won the WTTC
He won it twice[TL's note: 3 times, 2001, 2005, 2007]
Even though he didn't win the Olympics
And then Ma Lin...
- From the same generation
Ma Lin, Wang Liqin, Kong Linghui, and then Wang Hao
Wang Liqin is still the scariest
To me, he's the No. 1 from a different dimension
His power is...amazing
You get blown away
- Like bang
Yup, that's it, I've had enough
Besides, a player his size, that could dart around like that, and pull off that forehand loop, you can't find that now
His BH is not that great...he doesn't miss, but it's just for transitioning
It still comes down to the FH
But with that level of FH, even a weaker BH becomes a non-issue
Scary
What about Japanese players, anyone you think is great?
Drive?
Among our players?
I don't think so
Can't compare with the world?
One that makes you feel that way
The FH drive in the country that makes me feel scared
I can't think of anyone, to be honest

@17:01-20:34
Drive
Drive, huh?
It's hard to pick, right?
The scariest I've ever faced
Who?
The strongest would be WLQ
Well, I feel the same
- For real?
In Shanghai
WLQ is so dangerous
He makes it look so easy
How does he do it?
Height?
That can't be helped
Have you seen his body?
Damn, so good
Folks might have the impression that table tennis players look thin
But in fact, they're ripped
I was so touched after seeing WLQ's body, seriously
I was still in high school
One time at the World Tour, I saw him changing
His back
is just like Baki(a protagonist in a manga by the same title)
When he turned around, his front was even more amazing
He's absolutely No. 1
- Yup, no question
I have faced many who play really fast shots
but his shots are fast and heavy
It's silent
The ball just vanishes in front of your eyes
I have faced him 3 or 4 times
but the 2nd time was the most shocking
The 1st time was at WTTC Yokohama(2009)
in the 2nd round
I felt it was easy...his shots didn't feel as difficult as it looked in the video
Eh, I thought I could take a game off him
I think I did
Thinking he wasn't what he was cracked up to be
Then, a year later[2 actually] at the Swedish Open
Very heavy shots, one after another
Like a totally different person
- Totally different from Yokohama
His form was probably tuned up
It felt like I couldn't even touch the ball
I was shocked...this is the real WLQ?
This is the world class FH
I couldn't come up with any answer
I have faced many players who play fast shots, like Yoshida-san(likely Kaii Yoshida), but...
As long as I could hit the ball, I could get it back
Ryu Seungmin, too, very fast shots
As long as I could hit the ball, I could get it back
WLQ's is impossible to return
- No chance
Very heavy
The return doesn't bounce back up, but goes straight down
It happens a lot when blocking
Xu Xin, too, overpowered FH, when stepping around
Right, it looks really hard to return
The trajectory, especially in doubles, is so dangerous
It comes flying over like this
His shots are full of variations
One flying low over the net, one around the net
[Subbed by zeio, based on Chinese translation by 水煮琥珀]

While we're at it, I dug up the following article and touched it up, fixing some translation errors and grammars.

Taken from the Table Tennis World, and originally posted 2011-3-27

国手达人榜
Guinness CNT Players Records

对抗一:技术篇
Contest One: Techniques

问题(以下简称Q):谁发球最转?
Question(Abbreviated as Q): Who has the spinniest serve?
答案(以下简称A):马琳、郭跃
Answer(Abbreviated as A): Ma Lin and Guo Yue.

马琳的支持者之一李晓东教练的证词是:“马琳相对转些,继科也挺转。我第一反应,中国队发球最好的是马琳。”
Li Xiaodong, a Ma Lin supporter, goes: "Ma Lin's is relatively spinnier, and Jike is also pretty spinny. My first reaction was that Ma Lin has the spinniest out of anyone on the team."

马琳自己挺谦虚:“都挺转的,大家发球都差不多。”
Ma Lin himself is humble on that matter: "Pretty spinny as well, everyone's serve is about the same."

张继科跟李晓东持一样的观点:“横板里我最转,直板马琳,我自信吧?”
Zhang Jike agrees with Li Xiaodong: "Mine is the spinniest among shakehanders, and Ma Lin's among penholders. I'm confident, yeah?"

王励勤推荐的人选是:“马琳和陈玘。”
Wang Liqin picks: "Ma Lin and Chen Qi."

于是大家都公认的是:马琳。
And so everyone settles on: "Ma Lin."

Q:谁正手力量最大,弧圈球最冲?
Q: Who has the most powerful forehand, and whose loop has the most momentum?

A:力量:王励勤、冯亚兰
A: Strength-wise: Wang Liqin and Feng Yalan.

命中率:马琳、郭跃
Accuracy-wise: Ma Lin and Guo Yue.

依然先说男队,李晓东认真地回答:“要真说还是马琳和王励勤。马琳正手太好了,属于争抢好,上手勤,变化多,球快。大力是打起来的实力好。正手前三板马琳天下第一,他‘贼’,能上手,力量不大,所以他节奏很快,上手很勤。因为力量不大他还有轻重之类的变化,技巧性他最好,功夫上是大力最好。这事是我和国梁在队里明确地表示过,两个正手最好的就是马琳和大力。”
Still Men's team first, Li Xiaodong answers in a serious tone: "It boils down to Ma Lin and Wang Liqin. Ma Lin's forehand is just too good, which is the type that is good at making attempt, active in initiating, abundant in variation, and fast in speed. Da Li(nickname for Wang Liqin, literally big power) is the type that relies on actual strength. Ma Lin is the world's best at forehand third-ball attack, which "dips(once the ball touches the table)", is good at initiating but so-so in power, so his pace is quick and very active in initiating. Because his power is not huge, he has this variation between light and heavy. He is the best technique-wise, and Da Li is the best fundamental-wise. I have reflected this clearly to Guoliang that the two best forehands in the team are Ma Lin and Da Li.

两个当事人依旧是谦虚的态度。
Both parties maintain their low-key attitudes.

马琳:“正手王励勤力量挺大的,陈玘的力量也很大。”
Ma Lin: "Forehand-wise Wang Liqin has plenty of power and Chen Qi's power is also very big."

王励勤:“正手命中率最好的是马琳。”
Wang Liqin: "Ma Lin's forehand has the best accuracy."

记得前世界冠军韦晴光曾经说过,他最怕遇到的人是刘国正,意指刘国正正手功夫深。张继科也是一样的观点:“刘国正的正手全世界第一。”
I(Li Xiaodong) remember former world champion Wei Chingkuang once said, he is most afraid of facing Liu Guozheng, implying that Liu Guozheng's forehand has a sound foundation. Zhang Jike agrees: "Liu Guozheng has the world's best forehand."

男队体能教练史鸿范用数据来诠释了正手力量问题:“卧推力量最大的是王励勤、张超,大概106公斤,张继科101公斤,他们是卧推力量100公斤以上的,所以他们正手力量比较好。”
Physical instructor of the men's team, Shi Hongfan, interprets with data the question regarding forehand power: "In terms of bench press, Wang Liqin and Zhang Chao have the greatest strength at roughly 106 kg(~234 lb), and Zhang Jike being at 101 kg(~223 lb). They bench press above 100 kg, and so their forehands have greater power."

Q:谁反手最好?
Q: Who has the best backhand?

A:王皓、曹丽思
A: Wang Hao and Cao Lisi.

“反手王,直板运动员是王皓,横板是张继科。马龙虽然不是最强的,但是最全面,正反手攻防最全面,当然打不好的时候还是有漏洞的。”——李晓东
"The king of backhand is Wang Hao among the penholders and Zhang Jike among the shakehanders. Though Ma Long is not the strongest, he is the most versatile and can go on both the offensive and defensive forehand- and backhand-wise. And of course it is not flawless when he is not playing at his best." -- Li Xiaodong

“反手好的是张继科和王皓。”——王励勤
"Zhang Jike and Wang Hao have good backhands." -- Wang Liqin

而张继科和马琳则做了单选题:“王皓。”
Whereas Zhang Jike and Ma Lin pick only: "Wang Hao."

Q:谁手感最好:
Q: Who has the best touch?

A:马琳、范瑛
A: Ma Lin and Fan Ying.

李晓东调侃说:“马琳手感最好,脚感也好!”
Li Xiaodong jokes: "Ma Lin has the best touch hand- and foot-wise!"

马琳哈哈大笑:“脚感好?难道是说我踢球好?我踢球不行啊,看球还行!”
Ma Lin LOL: "Good foot touch? Meaning I play football well? I can't play well at all, but watching football is a different story!"

张继科提到手感第一反应是水谷隼,要选中国队里的运动员他毫不犹豫:“马琳。”
Zhang Jike's first reaction to hearing touch is Jun Mizutani[That 7-gamer at World Cup 2010 in Magdeburg must still be haunting him.] He went with Ma Lin instantly if it has to be from within the team."

Q:谁步法最快?
Q: Who has the fastest footwork?

A:都快。获得提名的有:许昕、王励勤、王建军、丁宁、冯亚兰
A: They are all quick. Among the nominated: Xu Xin, Wang Liqin, Wang Jianjun, Ding Ning and Feng Yalan.

李晓东:“远台是许昕最快,近台是大力快。步法都挺快。许昕就是中远台跑得快,近台不快。步法这个问题比较难衡量,谁也不服谁,许昕说一出台我反手一个不用全是正手,你们行吗?大力说了不来梅(世乒赛)我摔个跟头还能爬起来对拉。”
Li Xiaodong: "Far away from the table Xu Xin is the fastest, and close to the table would be Da Li. Their footwork are quite fast. Xu Xin runs fast when he is mid-distance from table but not fast close to table. Footwork is a controversial topic as everyone thinks he/she is faster. Xu Xin says once away from table I use the forehand only. Can any of you manage it? Wang Liqin fights back saying at WTTC Bremen I slipped, fell over and managed to climb back up to counterloop."

马琳:“许昕最快。”
Ma Lin: "Xu Xin is the fastest."

张继科:“王建军快。”比利时国家队主教练王大勇曾爆料,曾效力于比利时沙勒洛瓦俱乐部的前国手王建军,在一场对阵吴尚垠的欧冠比赛中全台跑动,快到只看见眼前的‘小红鞋’嗖嗖嗖……(王建军当时穿的是红色的球鞋。)
Zhang Jike: "Wang Jianjun is fast." Belgium national coach Wang Dayong once revealed that former national player Wang Jianjun, who once played for the Belgium club whatever-its-name, in a match against Oh Sang Eun of the Champions League, was so fast that he could only see a pair of red shoes sizzling around.

Q:非常规球、灵感球谁打得最好?神球打得最多?
Q: Who plays the best irregular shot and improvised shot? Who plays the most epic shot?

A:王皓、马龙、郭跃、木子、常晨晨、冯亚兰
A: Wang Hao, Ma Long, Guo Yue, Mu Zi, Chang Chenchen and Feng Yalan.

李晓东:“王皓神球多,你暴打他一板,他能抽你个回头直线,这球特多。要纯说灵感马琳最好,马琳的灵感是技巧,王皓的灵感是风流,让人拍案惊奇。马琳是属于感觉真好。”
Li Xiaodong: "Wang Hao plays many epic shots. You smash him a shot, he can drive it right back at you down-the-line, and it happens a lot. In terms of improvising, Ma Lin is the best. His improvisation comes from the technique, and Wang Hao's improvisation is from his charisma, which simply amazes you. Ma Lin is the type that has an actually good touch.

于是李晓东的总结是——数风流人物还看王皓,属随心所欲还看马琳。(是不是有点乒乓版‘东邪西毒’的味道?)
And so Li Xiaodong concludes that -- Wang Hao, in terms of charisma and Ma Lin when it comes to improvising at will.

马琳:“我不太多,很普通,王皓和马龙神球都挺多的。”
Ma Lin: "I don't play that many. It is very common. Wang Hao and Ma Long play a lot of epic shots."

张继科:“马龙。”
Zhang Jike: "Ma Long."

Q:教练里谁发多球发得最恐怖?
Q: Among the coaches who feeds the most terrifying multi-ball?

A:刘国梁、任国强
A: Liu Guoliang and Ren Guoqiang.

正巧在李晓东办公室的四川队主教练陈宏宇说:“李晓东最恐怖,最恐怖,吓得你想到下午晚上打多球中午就睡不着觉。”当年陈宏宇在国家队时,李晓东正是他的师傅。
By chance Sichuan head coach Chen Hongyu at Li Xiaodong's office says: "Li Xiaodong has it the most terrifying, so much so that you can hardly sleep at noon once you think of having to do multi-ball in the afternoon and night." Li Xiaodong was Chen Hongyu's master back in the days.

李晓东摇头:“我发多球是当年,现在已经老朽了。现在国梁发多球最恐怖,尤其是不定点抢上手,刘国梁发的ace多,老晃你。打不上就变成了傻瓜,你让教练给骗了。”
Li Xiaodong shakes his head in denial: "That was the old days when I fed multi-ball, and is no good now. Currently Guoliang feeds the most terrifying multiball, especially irregular points where you are on the initiative. Liu Guoliang feeds a lot of aces, and keeps on swaying you. You look like a dumbass when you miss, when in fact you have been conned.[LMAO]

王励勤和马琳同意:“刘指导多球不好接,质量比较高,每一板的质量都挺高,比平时练单球的质量高很多,有时候跟不上。”
Wang Liqin and Ma Lin concur: "Coach Liu's multiball is no fun to return, which has a relatively higher quality and has a pretty high quality in every shot. The quality is so much higher than training with single ball, and sometimes (we) fail to keep up."

张继科还是力挺自己的主管教练:“肖战,发得晃。”
Zhang Jike insists on his coach: "Xiao Zhan. His feed is so dazzling."

对抗二:体能篇
Contest Two: Physical Strength

Q:谁踢球踢得最好?
Q: Who plays football the best?

A:最喜欢踢的是邱贻可,雷振华和王建军他们都喜欢。大力和张超,都差不多。都赖皮,邱贻可最能耍赖,特会讨价还价。——史鸿范。
A: Qiu Yike loves playing the most, and Lei Zhenhua and Wang Jianjun, too. Da Li and Zhang Chao are about the same. Everyone is a bit of a rogue, and Qiu Yike is the best at that, and is especially good at bargaining. -- Shi Hongfan

Q:谁长跑最好?
Q: Who is the best at long-distance running?

A:长跑是二队的小孩最好,林高远,他耐力挺好。——史鸿范
A: The kids from second-string team are the best at long-distance running. Lin Gaoyuan's stamina is quite good. -- Shi Hongfan

女队耐力第一是李晓丹,3000米跑13分01。第二侯晓旭,13分05。文佳13分08,这是2009年测验的,郭跃13分32,李晓霞14分32。一万米常晨晨、李晓丹、文佳和武扬不错。——陈泽斌
In the women's team Li Xiaodan has the best stamina, who finishes 3000 meters under 13m 01s. Second in line is Hou Xiaoxu at 13m 05s. Wen Jia at 13m 08s, and this was from a test in 2009. Guo Yue at 13m 32s. Li Xiaoxia at 14m 32s. As for 10000 meters Chang Chenchen, Li Xiaodan, Wen Jia and Wu Yang are not shabby. -- Chen Zebin

Q:谁短跑成绩最好?
Q: Who performs best at sprinting?

A:短跑最快的是张超和张继科,100米11秒出头,起跑最快的是张超、王励勤、王建军和张继科,3秒6左右。(资深球迷应该知道吧,张超在练乒乓球之前可练过田径呢!)——史鸿范
A: Zhang Chao and Zhang Jike are best at sprinting, 100 meters in around 11s. Zhang Chao, Wang Liqin, Wang Jianjun and Zhang Jike get off the mark the quickest at roughly 3s 6. (Zhang Chao used to train in track and field before he picked up table tennis!) -- Shi Hongfan

10米折返跑,测试灵敏度,第一名是刘诗雯,10秒97。快前蹲的测试属于速度力量这方面,郭跃和木子明显快,郭跃10秒87,木子10秒84。——陈泽斌
As for 10-meter shuttle run, which is a test of agility, Liu Shiwen clocks in at 10s 97. Squatting, a test for speed-power, shows that Guo Yue and Mu Zi are the quickest, Guo Yue at 10s 87, and Mu Zi at 10s 84. -- Chen Zebin

Q:谁腰腹力量最好?
Q: Who has the best lower-body strength?

A:腰腹力量最好的是王皓,许昕。有一个器材,坐着拉着起来,这个重量可以衡量,王皓、许昕、大力,都挺厉害,最多的拉一百多公斤。——史鸿范
A: Wang Hao and Xu Xin have the best lower-body strength. There is this instrument that you pull up while seated with adjustable weights. Wang Hao, Xu Xin, Da Li are quite remarkable, managing over 100 kg. -- Chen Zebin

腰腹力量冯亚兰和郭焱比较好,放杠铃片能达到27.5公斤。——陈泽斌
Feng Yalan and Guo Yan fare better on lower-body strength, reaching 27.5 kg. -- Chen Zebin

对抗三:生活篇
Content Three: Daylifes

Q:谁唱歌最好?
Q: Who has the best singing?

A:雷振华和王璇
A: Lei Zhenhua and Wang Xuan.

李晓东:“男队雷振华吧,目前为止算不错。王励勤虽然总被派出去唱歌,是因为名大,用他是用名气。雷振华嗓子好,但一出去演老是王皓和王励勤,这个叫‘怀才不遇,心怀不满。’”
Li Xiaodong: "Lei Zhenhua on the men's side, as far as it goes currently. Though Wang Liqin always gets sent out to sing, for his fame. Lei Zhenhua has a good voice, yet Wang Hao and Wang Liqin get all the chances. Under-appreciated would be the right word here.

陈宏宇:“教练里面李晓东最好,他一唱别人就没法唱了。”(2004年的国乒春晚上,李指导的一曲《桑塔露琪亚》曾技惊四座。)
Chen Hongyu: "Among the coaches Li Xiaodong is the best. No one has any chance once he sings." At the 2004 National Table Tennis Lunar Festival night, Coach Li performed the song "Santa Lucia" to everyone's astonishment.

马琳:“雷振华唱得挺好。我唱得也还行吧,喝点酒以后唱得挺好的。”
Ma Lin: "Lei Zhenhua sings pretty well. I can sing OK I guess. I can sing pretty well after a little drink."

张继科+王励勤:“雷振华。”
Zhang Jike and Wang Liqin: "Lei Zhenhua."

郭跃+刘诗雯+丁宁:“郭焱、冯亚兰、王璇。”
Guo Yue, Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning: "Guo Yan, Feng Yalan and Wang Xuan."

郭跃补充:“郭焱和冯亚兰唱得好,王璇唱得逗,两种风格!”
Guo Yue adds: "Guo Yan and Feng Yalan sing well, and Wang Xuan sings cute. Two styles!"

李隼:“王璇!《女人是老虎》!”
Li Sun: "Wang Xuan! 'Women are Tigers'!"

(某年国乒在正定封闭集训后期搞了一个小晚会,王璇在台上边唱边表演,一曲《女人是老虎》把时任总教练的蔡振华和正定基地的王主任等人逗得捧腹大笑。)
A certain year back the national team pulled a little night party after the closed training at Zhengding. Wang Xuan performed a song while acting, the song 'Women are Tigers' gave acting head coach Cai Zhenhua and officer Wang of the Zhengding base a good laugh.

Q:谁跳舞最好?
Q: Who has the best dancing?

A:男队还没有,女队冯亚兰
A: On the men's side, none. On the women's side, Feng Yalan.

李晓东:“马龙那帮现在想练呢。”
Li Xiaodong: "Ma Long and the likes want to train now."

马龙确实在练,体能训练的时候都自己来两下。
Ma Long is training for real, and goofs around during physical training.

李隼+刘诗雯+丁宁:“冯亚兰!”特坚定。(冯亚兰的街舞真不是盖的,特hip-pop!)
Li Sun, Liu Shiwen and Ding Ning: "Feng Yalan!" Firmly. (Feng Yalan's street dance is the real deal, full of hip-pop!)

Q:队员有收藏东西的吗?谁收藏最多?
Q: Any collectors on the team? Who has the most collections?

A:都有点,又都没有
A: Yes and no.

李晓东:“都有点,以前席敏杰收藏和田玉。”
Li Xiaodong: "Yes, a little bit. Xi Minjie used to collect Hetian Jade."

马琳:“好像都没有什么收藏爱好。我收藏房子。”
Ma Lin: "Not particularly into collecting. I collect houses."

张继科:“王皓收集卡,各种卡。”
Zhang Jike: "Wang Hao collects cards, all kinds of cards."

李隼+乔晓卫+女队众队员:没有人有这个癖好。
Li Sun, Xiao Weiqiao and the entire women's team: No one is into this hobby.

但李美多采访郭焱的时候,她好像说收集挺多(比如电子琴以及各种乐器)……
But when Li Meiduo interviews Guo Yan, she says something about she has quite a large collection(like digital pianos and all kinds of instruments)...

Q:电脑和电子设备谁用得最好?
Q: Who is the most proficient at using computers and electronics?

A:男队集体+范瑛
A: Men's team jointly and Fan Ying.

李晓东:“都不错,马龙好像厉害一些,陈玘什么的都挺好,我怀疑这帮人都会编程。”
Li Xiaodong: "All of them are not bad, Ma Long seems to be pretty awesome, and Chen Qi is pretty good at anything. I suspect these guys know how to program."

马琳:“都比我好,我不会。”
Ma Lin: "Everyone is better than I am. I am illiterate."

李隼:“范瑛好。我们所有教练都找她弄,过去是交给姜华珺,现在她。”
Li Sun: "Fan Ying is good. We(coaches) all go to her for help. It used to be Jiang Huajun, and now her."

刘诗雯:“范瑛啊!我们都说范瑛是全队iPad、iTouch、!Phone的售后服务,不会玩的全找她!”
Liu Shiwen: "Fan Ying! We all say Fan Ying is the customer service for the team's iPad, iTouch and !Phone. We go to her for help anytime we run into questions!"

Q:谁看书最狂热?
Q: Who is the maddest reader?

A:我
A: Me.

李晓东:“我最狂热。”
Li Xiaodong: "I am the most frenzied."

马琳:“我最爱看书,什么都看,博古论今上下五千年什么的,知识比较丰富。”
Ma Lin: "I love reading the most, anything that I come into contact, history from 5000 years back. I am richer in knowledge."

估计再问下去,答案也还是只有一个——我。
Guess there will just be one answer if this keeps on -- me.

Q:谁是外语狂人?
Q: Who is a foreign language maniac?

A:王励勤。姚彦
A: Wang Liqin and Yao Yan.

李晓东:“大力,比较中规中矩,学习算比较认真的。”
Li Xiaodong: "Da Li, he is the one who is more satisfactory and learns with a serious attitude.

马琳:“都不太好。关键是我不太会说中文,我觉得首先是我的中文就不好,所以外语不好。”
Ma Lin: "Not so good. The key is I am not good at speaking Chinese. I feel that since my Chinese is not good, I am not good either at foreign language."

张继科:“外语最好的是王励勤吧。”
Zhang Jike: "When it comes to foreign language, Wang Liqin."

李隼:“姚彦。她能说,别人问她什么她能答。”
Li Sun: "Yao Yan. She can speak. She can answer whatever people asks her."

任国强:“姚彦不光英语好,日语、韩语……都会!”
Ren Guoqiang:”Yao Yan not only is good at English, but also Japanese, Korean...!"

丁宁:“姚彦好!”刘诗雯郭跃表示赞同。
Ding Ning: "Yao Yan is good!" Liu Shiwen and Guo Yue concur.

Q:队里谁是才子?
Q: Who is the scholar of the team?

A:李晓东
A: Li Xiaodong

李晓东:“我?哈哈!别说秀才,我最怕别人说我秀才,秀才是大学毕业。”
Li Xiaodong: "Me? Haha! No way, I am most afraid when people call me a scholar. Scholar has to be a college graduate."

马琳:“得看哪方面,要是写的方面肯定是李晓东,说的话肯定是刘国梁。”
Ma Lin: "It depends. If it is about writing then it has to be Li Xiaodong and if speaking then Liu Guoliang."
李隼:“都挺有才的,没有才的话进国家队能行吗?”
Li Sun: "Everyone has talent. If not then how could one make it to the national team?"

Q:谁写字最好?
Q: Who has the most beautiful writing?

A:马琳
A: Ma Lin.

李晓东:“队员没有太好的,队员写好了不就乱了嘛。马琳签字最好看,能看懂。我没看过马琳平时写字,但是从签名来看,第一马琳的签名能看懂,别人的龙飞凤舞看不懂,第二就从“马琳”这俩字看,他写得颇具功力,其他的不敢恭维。”
Li Xiaodong: "No one is particularly good. What could happen if they can write well. Ma Lin's signature is the most attractive and readable. I haven't seen his writing before, but speaking of signatures, I can make out Ma Lin's, and the others' are like scribbling. Secondly the two characters "Ma Lin" shows he is decently skilled, the others' make my hair curl.

对抗四:“男队特别福利篇”
Content Four: "Men's team Special Treatments"

以下问题基本属于李晓东的自问自答,正好可以看看这位才子对乒乓男队的调侃。
Questions below are typically Li Xiaodong's own opinions, which serve as a good chance for this scholar to tease the Men's team.

Q:谁最赖?
Q: Who is the best(worst) blamer?

李晓东:最赖的是马琳,什么都要,跟二队打小计分还不依不饶地赖呢,从规则上自己还想占便宜。
Li Xiaodong: Ma Lin is the best blamer who wants anything, and blames constantly when playing matches with the B-team, even to the point of hoping to gain an advantage on rules.

Q:谁最能侃?
Q: Who is best at boasting?

李晓东:马琳还最能侃,年轻的里面许昕能侃,但是有时候言过其实,跟谁打都有戏,结果言过其实。
Li Xiaodong: Ma Lin also happens to be the boldest. Xu Xin is good at that among the youngsters, but are sometimes too good for their own good, and they do it whoever they play with, and fail to deliver in the end.

Q:赛前谁最谦虚?
Q: Who is the most modest before a match?

李晓东:大力最谦虚,往往把对手想得过于强大,把自己想得过于渺小,马龙也这样。
Li Xiaodong: Da Li is the most modest, and often thinks too big of his opponents and too small of himself. Same for Ma Long.

Q:谁最馋?
Q: Who is the one with eyes bigger than the belly?

李晓东:马琳最馋,王皓也挺馋,为了打好球只能减肥了。以前不管吃什么都是两大盘,最后都成了小白兔,只能吃菜,晚上不敢吃肉和主食了。
Li Xiaodong: Ma Lin is the one. Wang Hao is also pretty greedy. And both of them have to go on a diet to keep their games up. They used to eat anything in two big plates and ended up as little white rabbit, which can eat only greens, and don't dare think about eating meat at night or during the main course of a meal.

Q:谁最会保养?
Q: Who is best at maintaining health?

李晓东:马龙最会保养,一天四练,不抽烟、不喝酒、不熬夜。
Li Xiaodong: Ma Long is the best at that. Four sessions a day. Do not smoke, do not drink, and do not stay up late.

Q:谁听的歌最有特点?
Q: Who has the most peculiar taste in the types of music they listen to?

李晓东:一般队员都听通俗歌曲。但是王皓现在有点靠近我的风格,听美声,那天他给我听了听,全是美声稍微通俗点的。
Li Xiaodong: The typical team members all listen to pop songs. Somehow Wang Hao is now close to my style, who listens to bel canto. The other day he let me have a taste of it, all of them were bel canto with a bit of pop.

Q:谁最野?胆子最大?
Q: Who is the wildest? Who has the most grit?

李晓东:张继科最野,越难打越敢拼,甚至不惜杀鸡用牛刀也得拼。莫斯科世乒赛男团决赛跟许斯杀鸡用牛刀,无谓失误满天飞,还好到最后调整了节奏,他算胆大的。王皓也胆大,虽然他最关键的两次(奥运会)没胆大。马琳胆不大,属于自学成才,后天培养出的技巧比较多。许昕胆大,谁都不服,2010年年初在四川的“直横大战”上,许昕和张继科哥俩说相声,相声的台词有一句是“横板和直板还得看咱俩”,写词的时候我还说这俩“侃大”了,没想到相声演完了,接下来的“直通莫斯科”哥俩前两轮就出线了,最后侃的梦想成真了。
Li Xiaodong: Zhang Jike has got to be. The harder it is to win the darer he fights, and even goes beyond what is necessary. At the Moscow WTTC Men's team final against Suss, he went overboard, making countless mistakes, and thank god in the end he found the pace. He is of the gutsy type. Wang Hao is also gutsy, though he failed to be at the two most important events('04 and '08 Olympics.) Ma Lin's grit is not big. He is of the self-taught type. Quite a bit of his techniques is nurtured rather. Xu Xin is gutsy and rebellious. At the "Penhold vs Shakehand Battle" early 2010 in Sichuan, Xu Xin and Zhang Jike played in a two-person comic talk show. In the show there was a line that goes "whether it be Shakehand or Penhold one has to get by us", when I wrote the script I said they have gone too far with the bluff and after the show to my surprise, the two of them made it at the first two stages of the Moscow Express trials. A bluff come true.
[TL's note: For Zhang Jike, right after winning the WTTC 2011 in Rotterdam, in an interview Liu Guoliang describes him as a Tibetan Mastiff in light of his ferocious nature and how he ripped apart his jersey.]

Q:谁最抠儿?
Q: Who is the most parsimonious?

李晓东:都挺抠儿。国梁最抠儿,一个冠军都不愿意给别人。
Li Xiaodong: Everyone is quite a meanie. Guoliang is at the top. He doesn't want to let go of even one championship title to others.

At the moment, ML has the best FH in terms of 3rd ball. LGL wrote once in his Table Tennis World column that ML's 3rd ball is better than MLin's.

LGL's opinion in 2011
http://sports.sohu.com/20110621/n310955653.shtml
  马龙的特点是非常全面,好的时候哪儿都好,但是到了关键时刻,他缺少“核武器”,缺少致命的杀手锏。马龙始终给人一种与人保持距离的感觉,能让对手施展开。其实马龙的前三板比马琳好,但是在大赛当中,他前三板的优势就体现不出来。平时他的攻防是最全面的,但是到大赛时防守总是虚的。他的头脑、手感、战术意识是强项,他现在要做的是一定要算计在别人前,想着怎么能把别人锁在他的圈里。光考虑自己打着舒服不行,应该是先让别人难受。
Ma Long’s characteristics are very comprehensive. On a good day, everything is good, but at the crucial moment, he lacks a “nuclear weapon” and lacks a winner stroke. Ma Long always gives off the vibe of keeping a distance from people, which allows them the chance to perform. In fact, Ma Long's 3rd ball is better than Ma Lin, but in the big stage, that advantage is not reflected. Usually his offense and defense are the most comprehensive, but the defense is always hollow on the big stage. His mind, touch, and tactical awareness are his strengths. What he needs now is to think ahead of others and focus on how to lock others within his range. Instead of your own comfort, you should make the opponent uncomfortable first.

ML's opinion in 2012
http://www.ctsports.com.cn/2012/08/09/12281551499.html
马龙说:“自己相对来说进入状态比较快,属于前三板型,自己跟两年前相比已经有了进步,可能在关键时刻把握上,包括心态上有很大的提高,教练放心的让我打第一场。”
Ma Long said: "I am a relatively quick starter, being of the 3rd ball type. I have made some progress compared to 2 years ago when it comes to clutch moment, including a great improvement in my mentality. The coach felt safe to put me in the 1st match.

XX has the best FH in terms of handling topspin shots out of all penholders in CNT's history. Wu Jingping said this.
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...le=esteemed-coach-why-put-me-in-charge-of-him
XX has good talent. He is very strong in topsin exchanges, whom I believe is the greatest inverted penholder in handling topspin shots in the history of CNT. Also, XX is tall, has a huge wingspan, has got a good touch and outstanding physique. However, his style could use more aggression. He wins mostly by his coping ability and he is adept at clinging to his opponent, giving rise to his nickname "the boa".

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Stats from the Marvelous 12, 3/2017:

Strongest FH, by scoring percentage?

Men's
1 XX, 41.3%
2 ML, 28.6%
3 Zhou Qihao, 26.1%
4 FZD, 25.5%

Women's
1 DN, 28.10%
2 LSW, 27.70%
3 Feng Yalan, 27.10%

Strongest BH?

Men's
1 Zhou Yu, 23.3%
2 LJK, 21.7%
3 Liu Dingshuo, 21%
4 FZD, 20.9%

Women's
1 CM, 23.7%
2 WMY, 22.9%
3 LSW, 22.2%

Strongest 3rd Ball?

Men's
1 XX, 31%
2 ML, 30.6%
3 LGY, 27.9%

Women's
1 LSW, 30.1%
2 DN, 29.6%
3 ZYL, 26.6%

Strongest in Rallies?

Men's
1 FZD, 25.1%
2 XX, 24.2%
3 YA, 23.7%

Women's
1 WY, 30.5%
2 WMY, 29.1%
3 Mu Zi, 27.6%

Km5knjx.jpg

YLlmenE.jpg

Marvelous 12, 2019
https://marvellous12.sports.qq.com/2019/web/pc/data-rank.html

Marvelous 12, 2020
https://marvellous12.sports.qq.com/2020/web/pc/data-rank.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm lucky to have both Ryusuke Sakamoto (1st vid) and Yuhei Murata (interviewer) as TT coaches :)

Murata has been only a good junior at national level (QF of national junior championships) while Sakamoto was a pro player and played World Championships but both are good coaches.

Both make a lot of TT videos but Murata's vids are available for free on Youtube, (while Sakamoto makes a lot of instructional DVDs) his channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO5l5_dN1yk72fkUs-l6THw

Jan 2018
Bumping this up for future reference.

方博:王皓拉球历史第一爆!柳承敏王励勤也没有王皓爆!!一次拉球拉爆俩块板!!! (Fang Bo: Wang Hao has the most explosive loop in history! Even Ryu Seungmin and Wang Liqin can't match!! One loop wrecks two rackets!!!)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1GC4y1d77e

方博程靖淇:龙队没的说牛,但是确实没有我和王皓“冲,爆”王皓就是历史第一爆!打马特朱世赫球往天上飞!!! (Fang Bo/Cheng Jingqi: Ma Long sure is badass, but he is truly not as "powerful, explosive" as me or Wang Hao | Wang Hao is the most explosive in history! The ball flies toward the sky when playing Ma Te/Joo Saehyuk!!!)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ww411X7UZ

如何看待方博认为王皓最爆 (How to treat Fang Bo's opinion that Wang Hao is the most explosive)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8642669160

关于王皓拉球是否是历史最冲 后续 (Follow-up on whether Wang Hao has the most explosive loop in history)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8664228123

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
Bumping this up for future reference.

方博:王皓拉球历史第一爆!柳承敏王励勤也没有王皓爆!!一次拉球拉爆俩块板!!! (Fang Bo: Wang Hao has the most explosive loop in history! Even Ryu Seungmin and Wang Liqin can't match!! One loop wrecks two rackets!!!)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1GC4y1d77e

方博程靖淇:龙队没的说牛,但是确实没有我和王皓“冲,爆”王皓就是历史第一爆!打马特朱世赫球往天上飞!!! (Fang Bo/Cheng Jingqi: Ma Long sure is badass, but he is truly not as "powerful, explosive" as me or Wang Hao | Wang Hao is the most explosive in history! The ball flies toward the sky when playing Ma Te/Joo Saehyuk!!!)
https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1Ww411X7UZ

如何看待方博认为王皓最爆 (How to treat Fang Bo's comment that Wang Hao is the most explosive)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8642669160

关于王皓拉球是否是历史最冲 后续 (Follow-up on whether Wang Hao has the most explosive loop in history)
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/8664228123

damn