Australian Open 2019 [Platinum]

thanks NL, but we knew few hours ago already

It looks like it's based on their overall scores of the matches they had played in the prelims, then based on world ranking. Chen Szu-Yu has a 7:5 overall record on sets, which is better than all other "losers" except 1 other who also had 7:5, but her ranking is higher so she gets the "lucky loser" award.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
The ITTF is doing such a friggin' poor job on the English end of the site. Professionalizing the sport my foot.

https://cn.ittf.com/2019/07/aus-open-day-2/
7月11日,菁英航运2019国际乒联澳大利亚公开赛将正式展开正赛的较量。目前男、女单正赛签表已经出炉。其中女单方面,卫冕冠军刘诗雯因伤退赛。根据规则,资格赛选手中种子排名最高的田志希补位刘诗雯。最后一个正赛席位则在止步资格赛末轮的选手中通过抽签产生。由此,陈思羽进入正赛。
On July 11, Seamaster 2019 ITTF Australian Open will officially start. At present, the men's and women's singles main draw have been released. Among them, the defending champion Liu Shiwen has retired due to injury. According to the rules, Jeon Jihee, who is the highest seed among the qualifiers, fills Liu Shiwen. The last spot for main draw is produced by a draw among players in the final round of prelim. Thus, Chen Szu-Yu enters the main draw.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
So...
- ZYL is almost confirmed to be out of the Tokyo 2020 running, got wrecked by the lesser version of Ito a.k.a. Sun Mingyang
- WMY at 100% (or 90% I guess if one argues that she had a doubles match in the morning) is doing badly against SYS when the odds are supposed to be 50-50 each. Even LSW at 60% in the last Open did much better.
- Lay Jian Fang is schooling Hamamoto?
- JNT is having serious doubles pairing issues. Harimoto/Koki didn't do better than Mizutani/Koki.
- And maybe CNT as well (particularly after XX's retirement) since ML/LGY did not have it easy either
- Return of the Swedish BFFs Karlsson/Falck!
- Lucky loser theory proven to be true; CSY completely stomped
- Kasumi continues to shut down Kihara, three times now already?

Jan 2018
Ishikawa's getting so much help from everybody. I'd prolly friggin' break a W968 like a mad Korean if she doesn't make the singles for Tokyo Olympics.

We have the CNT pull out just enough players to give these 2 "team killers" a chance at the 1st stop of Diamond tier. And now Kihara is like a friggin' maid serving up precious points on a silver platter.

This user has no status.
I have much less knowledge about professional table tennis than many of you here in this forum, so please correct me if I am wrong, but:

Maharu Yoshimura didn't do too badly against Wang Chuqin in the prelim. He is also a better doubles player than TH, JM and KN.
It's safe to say that TH will play in the Olympics, but I am not sure about Jun Mizutani's and especially about Koki Niwa's spot.

I can't help but feel like if Koki keeps underperforming for a while, that Maharu Yoshimura has a realistic chance to get a spot for the olympics.

So I am interested to see the matches of KN and JM in this open even more than usual!

What's your thoughts?

Jan 2018
Harimoto will no doubt be the 1st singles, unless he dies in an accident or becomes gravely ill, the latter of which happened to Rikako Ikee.

Mizutani has said he has only a 50% chance making the singles. Niwa also knows the risk of dropping out if he doesn't make the singles. For the 3rd spot, it depends how "adventurous" the JNT feels, as in how much they want the gold medal. The circumstances are much more dire compared to Rio. As it stands, I'd say they don't even have a realistic shot at podium. Harimoto is too volatile, with a high standard deviation. Niwa is either free-flowing or free-falling. Mizutani is surprisingly consistent given his eye condition, but like he said after the All-Japan Championships, his stamina can't really keep up anymore.

Because of the XD, Yoshimura does have a realistic chance, especially if Ishikawa makes the team.

This user has no status.
KK vs FZ: 3-3
KK has been on fire lately, while FZD keeps underperforming. He can probably feel the breath of XX wanting that singles spot for the Olympics

Edit: FZD takes the last set.
Weird match with two 11-1 sets for FZD. He seems stiff, then not stiff, then stiff again, then not stiff again.

Last edited:
Reactions: akoozab
Jan 2018
Kristian Karlsson tries hard to defend his last name, by busting the myth that changing your last name will boost your level.

KK vs FZ: 3-3
Edit: FZD takes the last set.
Weird match with two 11-1 sets for FZD. He seems stiff, then not stiff, then stiff again, then not stiff again.

Yeah, that was a weird match, had KK taken the last set, FZD would have managed to lose a match while scoring significantly more points than his opponent, which almost never actually happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It's not just you.
Typical ITTF quality streams. ....Plus, Australian internet connection (at least private persons from Australia commonly complain about it)
I'm from Australia with NBN connection and still have very bad lagging issue with streaming now! Unable to watch at all.
Ok, thanks guys :)

Reactions: Nemo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I have no idea why the Swedes don't have a coach in the corner, feels unprofessional like this.

The lack of coach on kristian karlsson’s side is such a huge factor for him.

His body language is really bad when he’s losing 2-3 points straight and it’s just eating at him

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
No zeio, send that W968 my way instead :)

Ishikawa's getting so much help from everybody. I'd prolly friggin' break a W968 like a mad Korean if she doesn't make the singles for Tokyo Olympics.

We have the CNT pull out just enough players to give these 2 "team killers" a chance at the 1st stop of Diamond tier. And now Kihara is like a friggin' maid serving up precious points on a silver platter.