Seeking replacement for Hans Alser OC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi i have been enjoying my old Stiga Hans Alser OC. I love the flex and soft feel. But the blade has a strong springy kick which helped looping a lot. My game has improved so much due to the much higher consistency and spin.

Unfortunately the top ply got peeled off while changing rubbers. Not the entire ply, probably 30%. Lucky i got a good deal and paid for a Hans Alser Allround.

What surprised me is that the Allround has less flex and feels a bit harder. The lovely springy kick is gone unless I hit with a large impact.

So i took some photos - Allround is the one with rubbers. OC is the one without rubbers. I can't see any difference between the two. Just two beautiful 5-ply blades handcrafted some 30yrs ago.

I am just wondering does anyone know any blade that resembles the feel of Hans Alser OC? Soft, solid vibration, flex and strong springy kick.
de492a9b4c8449417242ea0b8fc4616d.jpg
c383b6d71fc8b9e3c8f741270930bb73.jpg
70c77a4759ecdd559e12c3d0b1a63e46.jpg

Sent from my PAR-LX9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
They are nothing alike. Your version of the OC seems to be Koto-Spruce-Ayous, while the AR is most likely Limba-Limba-Ayous. The thickness might also be different. The spring effect you like is because of the spruce medial ply, so basically just find a blade with a similar composition. Avalox P500 and Hurricane king are a few examples. Although it might be hard to get the same feeling, wood blades tend to get better with age.

Reactions: bobpuls
Supposedly IMO, it has the best feel among 5 ply blades today in the market. Also, it has this really good nice bounciness.

Thank yogi bear. I notice you are a big fan of Azalea. What makes Azalea such an good blade in your pov?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
They are nothing alike. Your version of the OC seems to be Koto-Spruce-Ayous, while the AR is most likely Limba-Limba-Ayous. The thickness might also be different. The spring effect you like is because of the spruce medial ply, so basically just find a blade with a similar composition. Avalox P500 and Hurricane king are a few examples. Although it might be hard to get the same feeling, wood blades tend to get better with age.
I might be wrong. I thought koto top ply gives a hard feel. But my OC feels soft but very springy.

I have attached a photo of the splinted side.
e2ba9ce47a89c6e0d5f454d2b31b19c6.jpg
fe3459c3eb2a47c7f91a2a55fbbeed96.jpg

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hi i have been enjoying my old Stiga Hans Alser OC. I love the flex and soft feel. But the blade has a strong springy kick which helped looping a lot. My game has improved so much due to the much higher consistency and spin.

Unfortunately the top ply got peeled off while changing rubbers. Not the entire ply, probably 30%.

This so reminds me of the "Offensive Wood" Stiga blades I started out with. Including the top plies peeling off, sadly. I think the composition was koto/dyed spruce/ayous/dyed spruce/koto, with the dyed intermediate layer brightly red.

This generation is found every now and than on the second hand market. These blades were very popular, a three or so decades ago, and with good reason. Flex, kick, feel.

Reactions: SFF_lib
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This so reminds me of the "Offensive Wood" Stiga blades I started out with. Including the top plies peeling off, sadly. I think the composition was koto/dyed spruce/ayous/dyed spruce/koto, with the dyed intermediate layer brightly red.

This generation is found every now and than on the second hand market. These blades were very popular, a three or so decades ago, and with good reason. Flex, kick, feel.
Agree!!!
I have a Hans Alser Allround made in the same era. I have no idea why the Allround has little flex.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I might be wrong. I thought koto top ply gives a hard feel. But my OC feels soft but very springy.

I have attached a photo of the splinted side.
cache.php
cache.php

To me it looks like koto. People tend to emphasize too much the outer layer contribution. In my experience, the medial and core are much more important in defining the blade's character.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
To me it looks like koto. People tend to emphasize too much the outer layer contribution. In my experience, the medial and core are much more important in defining the blade's character.

Ok thank you. What about the core? I found a lot of blades have spruce as the medial layer. They have different core. What wood in the core would suit a dynamic flexible feel with a springy strong kick when looping?