My Thoughts on the Main DHS Rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

Hello. There are often a lot of questions about comparing different DHS Rubbers and often we are left with conflicting information with the rubbers. I have tested and will compare the following rubbers.

(Unboosted, commercial versions) DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, DHS Hurricane 2 NEO, DHS Skyline TG 2 Neo, DHS Skyline 3 Neo, DHS Hurricane 8.

Hurricane 3/H3 = Hurricane 3 Neo

[width=384px]
UHyFZXk7ynOHidLUpT3Z7Vs4UHmDThHHTrDAwXXiyjGBsYh4TLDlAWzPBY_R4V8xD_5WM-_6rARTxdKlZMNlrpZ44UM2eDec1rzvoV9SwidBO2v939gxC_IZfw1siGkRyWKdcFgm
[/width]

DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

Speed: I find that initially, the neo tuning is quick and that adjustments need to be made to accommodate the arc it produces.

Edit: upon recent trials- I have changed my opinion.

After the NEO layer wears off, I think that it plays very nicely and is much more predictable.

Spin: Possesses a great amount of spin due to its tacky nature. A little bit of physical effort is required to lift back spin.

Feeling: The feeling of this rubber is good. I can really feel the ball engage the rubber when looping under

Throw Angle: The throw angle is average.

Personal Thoughts: This rubber is stable and is my go-to if I’m unsure of what rubber to choose. It has good control over the short game and does well with service. I think that this rubber’s top speed is easily reached compared to the Skyline series. It spins extremely heavy at lower gears. .I also agree with PandaPong’s opinion about having to be conscious of racket angles with the commercial version. Having tried a boosted national 40 deg blue sponge, I can agree with his findings.

DHS Hurricane 2 Neo[width=406px]

XxgKJhLBodcWaxUK1jE_azE2dh_3ZljEY2geh6bCh7NJsjqNV_VtwILGCJ3y7rxK7S0z6Dj1YXQonuCRUvaAsDG1PVLBY-TXjKWAeBl_acRdCiUIJLjOXIEcgNo1bL4Pd9cVEZNH
[/width]

Spin: It’s hard to discern the difference between this and the H3 neo. However, I think that it has less spin potential/ceiling than the H3. Spins about the same in high gears and less in lower gears. Service is of typical chinese rubber.

Speed: Initial speed is faster than Hurricane 3 Neo. Lower gears are faster, when looping hard, about the same.

Feeling: I would say that it has a tad bit more feeling than Hurricane 3. But it is unique and crisp. Provides a clickier sound compared to H3.

Throw: I disagree with the popular belief that this is a super low throw rubber. I think that the throw angle was not an issue for me and not something that I worried about when using this rubber. I would actually say that the throw is about the same as Hurricane 3 Neo, if not maybe a smidge lower.

Personal Thoughts: As soon as I tried this rubber out, I noticed that the sponge was firmer than H3. My initial impression is that it plays really safely and I was able to execute loops without having to worry about the ball going long. It felt really easy to spin the ball, and has a quicker initial speed than the h3.

DHS Hurricane 8 (mid hard)[width=448px]

QDBmmiF0xGikWWBdoenR8GHqrbaLjztCUvU-gpvaVS3kcJppHgbFk5DhzS4BDlxpfHCmwb4tYvoLZ79h_QpuD150JEC5PNSDrffZ0SHzLzLhOMPGFpYgX9hgcIJqKTpJMWMqXqT6
[/width]

Spin: This rubber spins the easiest with the least amount of effort.

Speed: This rubber is probably the quickest “regular” DHS rubber (exclusion of rubbers like h3-50, skyline 3-60, h8-80). It is the bounciest DHS Rubber w/o boosting.

Feeling: The ball feeling of this rubber is about the same as H3. It is not as crisp feeling as the H2 due to its softer topsheet.

Throw: Throw is average. I did not have to consciously adapt to the rubber’s throw angle.

Personal thoughts: I think that this rubber is fast by Chinese standards. I thought that spin + speed was the easiest to generate with this rubber. Because of this trait, I found that it was hard to control for my level. It is pretty stable and is faster than H3. In this regard I would say that Hurricane 8 is the quickest rubber out of the ones being compared. The Initial Speed is faster than hurricane 2, but the spin potential and speed potential -especially on lower gear- is greater than hurricane 3. There is a stark contrast after the factory booster wears off and it plays much more controlled. Post factory tuning, it is like a hurricane 3 with a slight speed boost with and a somewhat springy sponge.

[width=516px]
7KWO4QkHPRw16gKQhfjXb-r0PXfn72B10fK8AXD2b91M3ukjjTw9IFU-FztkoH1IMXv2lhm2GsiIYWa28KpFRwNSHyWCeoilKgJlKg0sq4QgGFadEZ4fc5yNeXnWZlQLG130WG3J
[/width]

DHS Skyline TG 3 Neo

Speed: Similar to H3. It is slower than H2, H8. It’s average speed.

Spin: I think this rubber is the easiest to apply heavy spin on. More So than hurricane 3. It feels like I don’t have to try to spin so heavily.

Feeling: This has the greatest feeling out of all DHS rubbers. Compared to H3n where I can only feel the ball grab the topsheet, this has a more natural feeling.

Throw: Medium/Medium Low.

Personal Thoughts: My friend was using this rubber, and it is the first one where I visually saw from him that the ball was kicking off the table. It has a lot of spin for the lower gear, and it has a more linear feeling (more power, more speed) than Hurricane 8. In many regards, I think that this is a tamer version of the Hurricane 8. This rubber is not as tacky as Hurricane 3, but still maintains the advantage of short game.

DHS Skyline TG2 Neo[width=459px]

qvH6qYf9yfbJn-WvlC2hD7PLlkT61kZ3Lggd_1NpDo8ix6m96-yi2u1v45wmufU1kEg7Uo6VEZ2EiSn3L9b7jklSrGNOydqtyd_RSIaHyequpwF_ljjPyw9bibyzP3QhVpvy7a75
[/width]

Speed: By Far the slowest DHS Rubber in the test. If many people consider H3N a dead rubber, this is as dead as it can get.

Spin: Immense amount of spin in every gear. In chopping to fh openups, this rubber was very easy to use. Force was however required to get the ball up to speed.

Feeling: It is average, it is similar to the Hurricane 3, but less “grabby” of the ball and is duller than Skyline 3 neo.

Throw: Low throw. The ball has little clearance over the net.

Personal Thoughts: I don’t usually think of using booster, but this rubber was very very slow. Given that it’s also the Neo version, this rubber is very slow and is somewhat comparable to DHS PF4 or Reactor Corbor, which are both historically known as “dead” rubbers. To get the most out of this rubber, you will need to swing very fast and hard, otherwise a lot of shots will take effort because of the speed. I genuinely feel that when I had this on my setup that it felt like I was playing with an ALL+ Blade. It has been said online that it generates the most spin and speed but takes great efforts to attain that. I can definitely agree with their statement about spin, however the claim about speed is questionable.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Great post - I think it's very useful to have this info to hand and for others to add.

I have used H8-80 and still have it on my BH - great rubber IMO.

By the way, I don't think that H8 comes with any boost from the factory?

H8 is factory boosted. They have a sheet of plastic or something of that effect stuck to sponge. If you got your paddle assembled by a Store it would have been hard to guess.

I also thought that it wasn’t factory boosted until I saw videos of people gluing/unboxing it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
[bcolor=#ffffff]Speed: I find that initially, the neo tuning is too quick and that adjustments need to be made to accommodate the speed it produces.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=#ffffff]I really don't understand this statement. I tried H3Neo out of package, and it was definitely the slowest rubber I have ever played with. There is very little rebound IMO, and it takes a lot of effort and a full stroke to get decent speed. [/bcolor]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

H8 is factory boosted. They have a sheet of plastic or something of that effect stuck to sponge. If you got your paddle assembled by a Store it would have been hard to guess.

I also thought that it wasn’t factory boosted until I saw videos of people gluing/unboxing it

I’m almost certain the only hurricane rubbers that are factory tuned are labelled “Neo’ and come in a vacuum sealed plastic envelope - which H8 does not.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
H8 doesn't feel factory boosted to me. It doesn't slow down in any noticeable way after a few months of use. Just the topsheet wears out. It is nice to boost it with seamoon though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hoping to see your thoughts on the H8-80 and later the H9 series :)

I like H8-80 a lot when it's not too heavy. I have a sheet of 37 deg on my BH now that weights 58g cut and plays great. I have another sheet of 38 deg that weights a whopping 58g cut and although it also plays nicely it just tips the balance too much on the bat for me to be comfortable. Others have had sheets of 38 deg at a normal weight nearer 49-50g cut so this seems like an inconsistency.

I boost it with Seamoon, a layer or sometimes two and then find it plenty fast enough but with lovely soft control and loads of spin - great rubber.

I have just ordered a sheet of H3 37 deg soft to see how they compare.

Reactions: Gekko
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
[bcolor=#ffffff]Speed: I find that initially, the neo tuning is too quick and that adjustments need to be made to accommodate the speed it produces.[/bcolor]

[bcolor=#ffffff]I really don't understand this statement. I tried H3Neo out of package, and it was definitely the slowest rubber I have ever played with. There is very little rebound IMO, and it takes a lot of effort and a full stroke to get decent speed. [/bcolor]

I think it depends on what your basing it out of. If you come from tenergy/euro-jap rubbers then I could see as to why you’d say there is little rebound.

I will say that I have not played with a new sheet of hurricane 3 neo in a long while and I’ve gotten a lot better ever since the last time I used it. However, I’ve consistently had trouble getting shots on the table because I’ve found it fast.

Rebound wise yes, pretty dead. But more about how it felt when I shot the ball long.

I might buy a sheet sometime soon to compare.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
H8 doesn't feel factory boosted to me. It doesn't slow down in any noticeable way after a few months of use. Just the topsheet wears out. It is nice to boost it with seamoon though.

Interesting. To me I felt that there was less catapult, after about the 4th or so month. While I played sporadically about 1 time per week but 5hrs ~ at the club, I definitely noticed that I started working a lot harder for speed and power that it initially had.

my topsheet is still pretty tacky. Granted I take care of it using nittaku sheet as well as cleaning after use.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

I think it depends on what your basing it out of. If you come from tenergy/euro-jap rubbers then I could see as to why you’d say there is little rebound.

I will say that I have not played with a new sheet of hurricane 3 neo in a long while and I’ve gotten a lot better ever since the last time I used it. However, I’ve consistently had trouble getting shots on the table because I’ve found it fast.

Rebound wise yes, pretty dead. But more about how it felt when I shot the ball long.

I might buy a sheet sometime soon to compare.

I'm not even comparing H3N to tensor rubbers, but rather just to modern 40+ Chinese rubbers. Even compared to modern Chinese rubbers, it is very very slow. Cheap rubbers like Big Dipper, Bloom Power, Reactor Tornado/Thunder are way faster and similar in spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews

I'm not even comparing H3N to tensor rubbers, but rather just to modern 40+ Chinese rubbers. Even compared to modern Chinese rubbers, it is very very slow. Cheap rubbers like Big Dipper, Bloom Power, Reactor Tornado/Thunder are way faster and similar in spin.

I haven't tried all of those rubbers. But I do know that Big Dipper is domed out of the package.
https://youtu.be/KiHmTHJOjkU?t=733

Also 17:46

I think this captures my view of the NEO Commercial pretty well.

I also agree with what he says with the national.

Last edited: