A happy accident – do i go for a wood blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
So last night saw the last league match of the season and I was asked to step in for the first team in the Premier division, I have filled in a few times this season - and even though haven't won any games in that league, have been competitive and great learning experience.
It was short notice I was asked, and had been gluing a newer FH rubber to my blade the other night as was just thinking I was going to practice this week.

Long story short - I left my bat at home on the side where it had been drying and turned up with an empty bat case.

I ended up borrowing a bat of one of the other players, and even though 2 out of the 3 in the team were the best players I've ever played competitively I played really well and took a few ends.

The bat I borrowed was A Tibhar Drinkhall Offensive classic with Roundell both sides. It felt super safe and I had good feeling with it, especially the BH which is my weakest side and hit some good winners with it. The FH was good and safe too - but a little lacking pace and spin. I really like to play from mid-distance mainly.

It wasn't a perfect setup for me - as mentioned the FH my strongest shot wasn't right, but the BH was so much better. Im trying to work out whether it was the less bouncy and spin sensitive BH rubber Roundell (instead of T05 or T05FX ive played with) - which makes a great sound by the way. Or the control coming from the blade? Or both. When I'm playing well I really like the TB Spirit - but sometimes if I'm not 100% on my game can feel a little fast.

I have a Primorac - but I find that too slow though love the spin I can generate and loop with.

I had thought about trying something totally different for the summer league and trying pimples and playing as a modern defender as I was getting trapped pushing on my BH and not attacking enough - but last night seemed more comfortable so feel like i should try something like Roundell or a similar linear BH rubber on a good 5ply looping blade. Also to add I've tried Rozena - but didnt really like it.

Or was I just playing well as it was a different bat and meant my concentration levels were higher :) - either way I really enjoyed playing last night were as Ive felt Ive been going through the motions a bit with league games.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Without knowing your play level, I think a change could be good for you, based on your story and result. I believe most players here on TTD would do better and improve faster by playing slower wooden blades. I believe that players who are still developing would do better with slower wooden blades.
Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC are almost more popular by amateurs and beginners compared to pros. Many high-level players play with slower setups. Only a couple of years ago, Anton Källberg played with a Korbel. If you can play in the Bundesliga with a slow wooden blade, I think all of us intermediates at TTD could do that as well and it would probably be beneficial for most of us.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Aibiss is the hardest rubber ever. You will not enjoy playing from mid-distance with it. Maybe keep your fh rubber the same for now. You are already changing the blade and bh rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi,

The blade I'm currently using has a frequency of about 970Hz !!! which is pretty slow!! But is still fast enough close and mid distance.

Ditch the Aibiss idea, not as good as DHS rubbers for twice the price!!!

Cool thanks - I might go back to H3Neo rather than D09c just because of cost though i prefer it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
You could consider the Tibhar K2. It's still pretty cheap on aliexpress and it's a solid hybrid rubber from ESN (if not the most solid). More oriented to the impact shots in my opinion, it doesn't lack spin, but it's not as spinny as Hurricanes or D09c, but for impact play and blocking it's better. Doesn't have the typical ESN detraments either of shrinking and feeling dead after 1-2 months. Not heavy either, 48-9g cut.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
You could consider the Tibhar K2. It's still pretty cheap on aliexpress and it's a solid hybrid rubber from ESN (if not the most solid). More oriented to the impact shots in my opinion, it doesn't lack spin, but it's not as spinny as Hurricanes or D09c, but for impact play and blocking it's better. Doesn't have the typical ESN detraments either of shrinking and feeling dead after 1-2 months. Not heavy either, 48-9g cut.

I have looked at that before but haven’t heard that much about it and know one I know has tried it. Might be worth a go if I can get it cheap enough.