Developing player with some potential :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hi, imo, you should not feel the need to hold yourself back, the setup should not be that fast. Or from the other side, ideally the setup is so slow, that you really go for the strokes. That's good for the stroke development, to use the body more, imo.

We all progress differently, but 6 months is quite a short time. I think your blade is a good blade, I have Viscaria too. With your setup, I'd feel a bit uncomfortable. So if you want to stay with it (and there is nothing wrong with it), I'd put slow rubbers on it, like e.g. H3 H39 on FH and H3 H37 on BH, for the moment.
If I were to go with hurricane then I would have to boost it right? I'm not sure that is a process I find enjoyable. I lige the feel of glue rubber on but boosting is another level😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I wonder if the young age of the players starting with fast setups is a significant factor here. It's well understood that aging results in loss of nerve sensitivity and signalling speed. Cutaneous sensation in the hands also decreases by age (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3705116/).

The idea of using a wood blade to develop seems to be centered around feeling and feedback. There has to be a feedback mechanism for you to feel when you've hit it right or wrong in order to error correct. There has to be enough sensation transferred to your hand to feel the brushing and grip of the ball against the rubber.

Perhaps with the new larger and heavier ball (8% increase), this was enough for youth to feel all of the above without any issue. Material technology has also likely improved since the earlier days of composite blades.

There's also probably quite a bit of variation in individual sense perception even within the same age group to muddy the picture. This is all just speculation though. There's probably no reliable way to answer the question. You'd have to control for too many variables in order to single the composition of the blade out as a factor for faster/slower development.
This is a really nice input, I did not think this far great job. It might be true that I miss a bit of feel due to the hardness of the blade. However I quite like the unforgivingness of my blade makes me strive for excellence instead of winning.

Reactions: turbozed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Self monitoring is the critical part of adult improvement, I don't know any adult players who make serious gains without recording themselves. They surely exist, but I don't know them.
I do record my match for me and my coach to analyze, and it is so frustrating seeing the obvious mistakes that I make😂 however it makes much more aware of what I am doing and what not to do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I would love to check out video of you playing. I have loads of video of me on my channel btw, https://www.youtube.com/@z0uLess/videos
It's pretty cool that you are so open about your training👍 what is your rating and how long have you played? And why do you feel stuck? One thing I find in this game is that it sometimes become more of a mental game for many player including myself😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
If I were to go with hurricane then I would have to boost it right? I'm not sure that is a process I find enjoyable. I lige the feel of glue rubber on but boosting is another level😂
Boosting Hurricane makes it easier to play with at the higher levels but is not as necessary as some make it out to be. That said, there are many reasonable Hurricane alternatives if one wants to play with Hurricane, including some made by DHS themselves. The main thing as always is to see what is possible and decide for oneself - the main issue that Hurricane (and most sticky rubber) helps with is serve return and spin, especially on close to the table shots, while requiring larger movements than one may want to use. It is the larger movement compromise that has to be decided on quickly. It isn't a trivial decision. That said, there are lots of reasonable sticky rubbers now, so the main issue is whether one likes to play with them or not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
You don't have to boost it. I personally do boost, but I also don't find joy there, and so I don't boost often. I've recently re-boosted my NHP3TB, because I felt it was more dead than initially, it graduated with time. (It reacted beautifully, but that is not important.) I think other player boost more often.

My friend, who started recently, plays with Vodak Horejsi APC and H3 H37 on both sides. I've initially put 1 layer, but he has it for 8 months now, so the booster is over.

It is absolutely not necessary to take H3s. You can take other slower rubber. I've given the H3 as an example (which I think works), but there are other options.

It seems you're open also for the option of taking slower blade. I'm personally enjoying inner carbon blade. If I measure the vibration, it says 1290Hz. Viscaria cca 1450Hz. You can feel the diff. And I think Viscaria is very good, but I didn't regret changing 1 bit.

(Now I felt my BH rubber, H8-80 was too slow, in some exchanges I felt I get under pressure. I swapped to Rakza X, I traded some spin for speed, so far so good. I also consider slighly faster blade in the range 1350Hz in the future. But that's me.)

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Boosting Hurricane makes it easier to play with at the higher levels but is not as necessary as some make it out to be. That said, there are many reasonable Hurricane alternatives if one wants to play with Hurricane, including some made by DHS themselves. The main thing as always is to see what is possible and decide for oneself - the main issue that Hurricane (and most sticky rubber) helps with is serve return and spin, especially on close to the table shots, while requiring larger movements than one may want to use. It is the larger movement compromise that has to be decided on quickly. It isn't a trivial decision. That said, there are lots of reasonable sticky rubbers now, so the main issue is whether one likes to play with them or not.
Well for me it's kinda hard to say in the beginning I did spend a little time on hurricane, but didn't want to boost so I ended on with other rubbers instead. I know mx-p has factory but I also think of an alternative.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
You don't have to boost it. I personally do boost, but I also don't find joy there, and so I don't boost often. I've recently re-boosted my NHP3TB, because I felt it was more dead than initially, it graduated with time. (It reacted beautifully, but that is not important.) I think other player boost more often.

My friend, who started recently, plays with Vodak Horejsi APC and H3 H37 on both sides. I've initially put 1 layer, but he has it for 8 months now, so the booster is over.

It is absolutely not necessary to take H3s. You can take other slower rubber. I've given the H3 as an example (which I think works), but there are other options.

It seems you're open also for the option of taking slower blade. I'm personally enjoying inner carbon blade. If I measure the vibration, it says 1290Hz. Viscaria cca 1450Hz. You can feel the diff. And I think Viscaria is very good, but I didn't regret changing 1 bit.

(Now I felt my BH rubber, H8-80 was too slow, in some exchanges I felt I get under pressure. I swapped to Rakza X, I traded some spin for speed, so far so good. I also consider slighly faster blade in the range 1350Hz in the future. But that's me.)
Yes im quite open to ideas, but people seems to have mixed opinions on that matter. I recently tried with omar assar blade with el-p soft innerfor style and very controllable. That is why I was think that I could step down a notch.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
1. You do ask a pertinent question and should deserve a more well-thought answer.

Well that might what I experience aswell. Thank your for going more into detail about it, I am also quite happy with blade but I might finde another rubber than mx-p for my forhånd. I do find my self spending a lot of time learning and researching my flaws. Maybe something with more grip or less catapult.
sumtin' more grippy and less catapulty / trampolinish:

Chinese tacky rubber ( if you have a coach who can teach you)

or

Modern hybrid such as Tibhar K series or Donic Bluegrip series.

I, myself am a pure trampoline lover.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Yes im quite open to ideas, but people seems to have mixed opinions on that matter. I recently tried with omar assar blade with el-p soft innerfor style and very controllable. That is why I was think that I could step down a notch.
I see. As I said in my 1st post, the setup should not hold you back. I'm not saying have a slower setup, because I have a mindset of winning matches or having less errors or whatnot, as dingyibvs (with really all due respect) said. But because I think it will help in learning the strokes and body action properly. That is what matters. Everything else is secondary, and also, will come as a bonus.

To do that, training, observing, thinking is much more important than the setup. But the setup also plays some role. Boll ALC with Tenergy is for Timo :) If you like the blade, it is still possible, with slower rubbers (as discussed). If you take inner ALC, good too. Honestly if you take any of those 5-ply all-wood with limba,ayous,ayous-core composition (not clipper), I think it is the best for the 1st year, and you can get one such for 25Euro. And all that is less important than training :) And joy. And peace. N8.

Reactions: Steinmejer
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well for me it's kinda hard to say in the beginning I did spend a little time on hurricane, but didn't want to boost so I ended on with other rubbers instead. I know mx-p has factory but I also think of an alternative.
You have a lifetime to consider these things. And they will not be the biggest reason you improve until your game is mature.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2022
This is a really nice input, I did not think this far great job. It might be true that I miss a bit of feel due to the hardness of the blade. However I quite like the unforgivingness of my blade makes me strive for excellence instead of winning.

I ended up making the opposite decision and slowed down my blade with Chinese rubber a few months into my training (had Fastarc rubber on it before). For me it wasn't about winning since I am training technique more than playing games. It more about excellence as well but from a different angle.

Having a rubber generate easy power for me meant that suboptimal shots still had some quality. The slower rubber meant I needed to get in position quicker and make a bigger full body stroke to get a hit in that provided any satisfaction. So I've prioritized footwork and full body engagement moreso than just the stroke phase. Stuff like Falkenberg is way more difficult, and I feel like this is taxing my endurance and strength much more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I ended up making the opposite decision and slowed down my blade with Chinese rubber a few months into my training (had Fastarc rubber on it before). For me it wasn't about winning since I am training technique more than playing games. It more about excellence as well but from a different angle.

Having a rubber generate easy power for me meant that suboptimal shots still had some quality. The slower rubber meant I needed to get in position quicker and make a bigger full body stroke to get a hit in that provided any satisfaction. So I've prioritized footwork and full body engagement moreso than just the stroke phase. Stuff like Falkenberg is way more difficult, and I feel like this is taxing my endurance and strength much more.
There are no easy answers to all this - thanks for this. Fastarc G1 is not even that fast IMHO so going to tacky from there is an interesting choice.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
It's pretty cool that you are so open about your training👍 what is your rating and how long have you played? And why do you feel stuck? One thing I find in this game is that it sometimes become more of a mental game for many player including myself😂
I have to use all available outlets to improve and get feedback. The coach dont have time to watch everything. I am also an adult learner, so I dont get the same resources in clubs as younger players. I have to do most of the work myself. Why would you not show video of yourself and why this incessant interest in rating? My guess is that, if you have managed to develop the correct technique from the start, then you wont hit a plateau in the same way as those people that win games in the start with a smashing confidence.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I have to use all available outlets to improve and get feedback. The coach dont have time to watch everything. I am also an adult learner, so I dont get the same resources in clubs as younger players. I have to do most of the work myself. Why would you not show video of yourself and why this incessant interest in rating? My guess is that, if you have managed to develop the correct technique from the start, then you wont hit a plateau in the same way as those people that win games in the start with a smashing confidence.
Well wasn't meant to be rude I was just curious, if you don't feel comfortable it's just fine👍😊. Personally I'm not sure that I'm ready for the world to see my videos, I'm a private and "proud" person in general even though it might not look like that, I'm still learning and green so there is definitely imperfections, maybe later in my journey I'll share.

Well I don't know when I hit plateau but everyone will at some point meet a wall, some early and some late.

currently I feel quite comfortable when I play against players with 1600-1800 in rating, there is ofc a gap but it's not that big. They seem to be more consistent than me. Maybe I can find a match if you really insist.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Well wasn't meant to be rude I was just curious, if you don't feel comfortable it's just fine👍😊. Personally I'm not sure that I'm ready for the world to see my videos, I'm a private and "proud" person in general even though it might not look like that, I'm still learning and green so there is definitely imperfections, maybe later in my journey I'll share.

Well I don't know when I hit plateau but everyone will at some point meet a wall, some early and some late.

currently I feel quite comfortable when I play against players with 1600-1800 in rating, there is ofc a gap but it's not that big. They seem to be more consistent than me. Maybe I can find a match if you really insist.
I just want to see someone playing at a high level that has played for so little time as you have. I may need to reconsider my project if you have reached a level like that because I play a lot and maybe table tennis is not for me. My goal so far has been to not lose against people that have played less time than me, and I have never met anyone yet that has played less time than me that has beaten me. To me, rating means nothing. My coach has been a national level coach in Sweden and when he was in talks with one of the best Norwegian tennis players, Casper Ruud, he agreed that rating has absolutely no say. So I prefer looking at someone play and to see the timing and the balance. I lose a lot of games because of the effort that I have put into the game brings me to a really bad mood when I cant perform in ranked games. Its about mental rigidity in many ways. My hands feel like jello just typing about it now.

Here is recent video of me doing multiball training:

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and latej
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
I just want to see someone playing at a high level that has played for so little time as you have. I may need to reconsider my project if you have reached a level like that because I play a lot and maybe table tennis is not for me. My goal so far has been to not lose against people that have played less time than me, and I have never met anyone yet that has played less time than me that has beaten me. To me, rating means nothing. My coach has been a national level coach in Sweden and when he was in talks with one of the best Norwegian tennis players, Casper Ruud, he agreed that rating has absolutely no say. So I prefer looking at someone play and to see the timing and the balance. I lose a lot of games because of the effort that I have put into the game brings me to a really bad mood when I cant perform in ranked games. Its about mental rigidity in many ways. My hands feel like jello just typing about it now.

Here is recent video of me doing multiball training:
Hmm I see, training and matches can be separated to some degree. The goal in my opinion is to use what you learn in practice many people get too comfortable with what gets the ball on the table. One thing is to be very good at lift underpin in practice but when the ball comes irregular in match situations and you just push the ball back. Not that I'm not guilty to play securely sometimes. But I strive to push my limits and ofc some days is better than others. Tbh I don't care about rating but it is somewhat a measurement because it also show some stability about the game play. I mean 2000 is better than 1400. Time is also part of the equation but at the current moment it's not at part of that system. However if you are really good in practice, then you have to push limit in ranked matches to get past that point. This is also based on my other sports I've done in my life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Hmm I see, training and matches can be separated to some degree. The goal in my opinion is to use what you learn in practice many people get too comfortable with what gets the ball on the table. One thing is to be very good at lift underpin in practice but when the ball comes irregular in match situations and you just push the ball back. Not that I'm not guilty to play securely sometimes. But I strive to push my limits and ofc some days is better than others. Tbh I don't care about rating but it is somewhat a measurement because it also show some stability about the game play. I mean 2000 is better than 1400. Time is also part of the equation but at the current moment it's not at part of that system. However if you are really good in practice, then you have to push limit in ranked matches to get past that point. This is also based on my other sports I've done in my life.
Ranking is like a career, it is the accumulation of trust in yourself and the trust given to you by others. If you dont have trust in yourself to begin with, you will never climb, which fundamentally makes it a psychological problem. This problem is larger in adult players because they are not given the get out of jail card of "potential". I have played on the very highest level in e-sport, and I know the concept of elo-hell in gaming is very much a real thing.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Ranking is like a career, it is the accumulation of trust in yourself and the trust given to you by others. If you dont have trust in yourself to begin with, you will never climb, which fundamentally makes it a psychological problem. This problem is larger in adult players because they are not given the get out of jail card of "potential". I have played on the very highest level in e-sport, and I know the concept of elo-hell in gaming is very much a real thing.
here it goes please don't grill me to much i am the bald guy :)