DHS fans unite!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I get @Tony's Table Tennis stance on why H3 is the golden standard and quality and everyone else is just trying to copy them. H3 topsheet reacts great to seamoon, and both OS and BS sponge doesn't get softer but they get bouncier. And they do this while still being light and durable too.

Yeah, the higher gears feel from the topsheet of H3 is just unmatchable, the closes I have so far is Rxton 9. But it is mere 1 sheet of Rxton 9 vs years of H3 use.
All those others "copies", just really lack spin on higher gears.

There is a reason why H3 is chosen by hundreds, if not thousands of really high level players in the world. I am a beginner compared to these thousands.

Reactions: Zwill
Lately, I've been experimenting with just H3N OS @ 40 degrees and I feel like dayumn.

So if anyone has been reading my rants knows that I am not a huge fan of the orange sponge H3N, but I am real sucker for the blue sponge. Well, that might just be changing...

Before I had a 40 deg "dead" H3N laying around and I boosted it with the Winion "Seamoon" booster and it became fast as hell and felt pretty good. So good I was kinda shocked.

I've been to HK and I took there my Zhou Qihao SALC blade only. My girlfriend got me some cheapo Mantra Pro's Mantra Pro M and XH and I used them for a while like that. Both are great but I felt the XH is not exactly a LAC or a D09c or a H3N. Mantra M if anything it's reminding me of a boosted G-1 and the XH would be like a boosted G-1 Hard... if it was available.

Anyway, I'm more conditioned to friction rubbers on my FH side, so I went to a shop in Wan Chai and bought a plain-as-hell commercial 40deg 2.15mm H3N orange sponge. Glued it on and it was fine. Do I wish it was faster? YES. I wished it was a lot faster, but I learned how to use to opponents' speed and spin and it was awesome.

I'm back home sadly, and I was just using my W968 with G05 and G09c and it's very good but I have been kinda struggling against pips and players who do nothing. Where I couldn't use their speed or spin. This setup is slow and wasteful. All my big efforts are for not much output. I still won my matches but I was struggling when I should've won easily against weaker opponents. Against stronger ones I was fine.

So I had my "HK" racket assembled pretty much with the commercial H3N OS and Mantra Pro M. I didn't touch the Mantra Pro M, that is fine as it is I will only touch it when it's "wasted". However, I boosted the H3 like I did before the previously mentioned dead H3N and now this one is great too.

Some observations. Is it super fast? Well yes and no. It's still not very bouncy on very light hits, and it's not very bouncy on very hard hits. But it's super bouncy on medium hits. It's like a bell curve if anything...

This bounciness is an interesting thing. To me there are several different "bouncinesses" I feel like I should make a new thread about these just because it's so controversial so I won't spoil my thoughts here :p

I feel like beating around the bush so much sometimes but without all my thoughts and experiences it's hard to convey fully what I experience.
H3N OS boosted is magic. It is stable, and lifts the ball as required. It grips and stretches depending on the power you put in it, and it does nothing if you hit the ball like you wanna "knuckle it". Sure you can do it with blue sponge too but like BS is not that elastic in my view. BS is more stable and linear and that predictability makes it more attractive on a higher level. I also think BS can be boosted easier, but it bubbles easier too.
On a fast blade like a Viscaria or even faster like Super Viscaria I think the OS makes more sense since it makes more arc and more spin than BS. Or it might be just related to the harder koto top ply rather than the whole composition.
I'll be damned if I figure this out... But more repelling fast blade and rubber with higher arc makes some sense.

Just some side thoughts, I tried a few Chinese rubbers, most of them tried to imitate BS H3 but fairly few managed to hit the mark. In fact, most failed pretty miserably.
Double Fish Volant Phoenix blue sponge for me is too soft unboosted, if I would boost it I assume it will be super soft and unusable on FH.
Tuttle G20 blue sponge... horrible rubber. No spin at all. Avoid it.
Big Dipper blue sponge is okay as it has an OK sponge and factory boost etc, but the topsheet lacks so much.
Battle 2 BS... no speed no arc... Maybe for pen players? I don't like it.
Jupiter 3, no arc, good speed, topsheet lacks spin and engagement
Loki Arthur China, good topsheet, good sponge, durability is horrible. If you can buy it for 3USD every week then it's great.
Young Shine Dingtian, hmmm, I'm on the fence on this one. I got a great sheet first from Prott in 2021 which was excellent, but after I bought more in 2023 from TTNPP those were not so hot. The topsheet feels so much different and after boosting the sponge became soft as hell. For now I would avoid however I did like my first sheet.

I get @Tony's Table Tennis stance on why H3 is the golden standard and quality and everyone else is just trying to copy them. H3 topsheet reacts great to seamoon, and both OS and BS sponge doesn't get softer but they get bouncier. And they do this while still being light and durable too.
Ah this time wasted on trying rubbers other than H3...congrats on returning to the classics.
Great post.

It's kinda sad that DHS doesn't have TG2 Provincial orange sponge variant, only blue sponge(even that was released in around 2017 only, I think)...I've tried H3 BS and didn't like the throw angle and there was little tackiness. Boosted TG2 OS commercial gives me a lot of safety for power loops because of tackiness.

Or MAYBE that actually means that TG2 sponge is already good enough, like prov quality? Cause it feels very stable to me. Or MAYBE that's just pimple structure ... who knows :)

I feel like its hard to discuss DHS rubbers because every sheet is so different. I just glued a commercial H3 onto my blade, and its not slow at all. it bounces quite high.

But I've had other sheets that are just so slow and dead. It's really weird.
After boosting & several training sessions these all feel very similar.
That's enough to improve and train and compete, since TT is not only about rubbers

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
That's enough to improve and train and compete, since TT is not only about rubbers
I have not been disappointed by H3 neo orange sponge commercial. Do they take a while to break in? Yes. Do they eventually break in? Yes. Have I needed to throw away some sheets here and there? Not, really. You just have to be patient in breaking it in. Once the sheets are a bit worn out, they play the best. Need to boost it once or twice after a couple months.

Like @Zwill

I have tried various H3 replacement: Sanwei Target National, Big Dipper blue sponge 40 and 38 degree, AK-47 red, Battle 2 orange sponge, Battle 2 blue sponge, etc. I have always come back to hurricane.

I have no desire to order Loki Arthur China or Rxton 9. What is the point?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews

Exactly. Commercial H3 for training and fun and Nittaku H3N OS or provincial OS for league matches ;)

I tried the Polestar P on a guy's racket, I just forgot to tell. It's pretty much like a very nicely boosted H3N OS. Maybe even prov or national grade too. I guess the price is around provincial H3N OS so maybe it's a good bet since no one will fake DF rubbers. I really can't say much more about it than this. Maybe the topsheet is a bit softer than H3 but it felt to catch the ball better and maybe even spin the ball better on opening loops.
It's surprisingly fast too.
The guy said it had the glue layer out of the pack so very comparable to H3N.

If someone wants to try Polestar P and S they are available from Prott.vip and TT11
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/double-fish-polestar-p-40 ($41.55 that's the same price TT11 sells the Nittaku H3N OS for that one could get for just $26.93 from TT-Japan.net)
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/double-fish-polestar-s-40 ($31.13)

https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=polestar ($25)
https://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=polestarS ($12)

If they were available with a softer sponge I might try them on backhand but 39° or 40° are too much unless they play like D09C ;)

Btw.: Does someone know were to buy the DoubleFish Polestar DF-J1 and DF-J2 blades besides JD? These seem to be their take on Viscaria and HL5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Exactly. Commercial H3 for training and fun and Nittaku H3N OS or provincial OS for league matches ;)

If someone wants to try Polestar P and S they are available from Prott.vip and TT11
https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/double-fish-polestar-p-40 ($41.55 that's the same price TT11 sells the Nittaku H3N OS for that one could get for just $26.93 from TT-Japan.net)

If they were available with a softer sponge I might try them on backhand but 39° or 40° are too much unless they play like D09C ;)

Btw.: Does someone know were to buy the DoubleFish Polestar DF-J1 and DF-J2 blades besides JD? These seem to be their take on Viscaria and HL5.
Taobao , they ship outside China now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
great write up but you forgot to mention Rxton5 😂
I haven't tried Rxton5. I quite like these fun off-brands but not sure why I should buy it over H3N.
Yeah, the higher gears feel from the topsheet of H3 is just unmatchable, the closes I have so far is Rxton 9. But it is mere 1 sheet of Rxton 9 vs years of H3 use.
All those others "copies", just really lack spin on higher gears.

There is a reason why H3 is chosen by hundreds, if not thousands of really high level players in the world. I am a beginner compared to these thousands.
Yeah, these are just cold hard facts. I am not thinking of just buying a H3N OS provincial since to be totally honest it's not expensive. I will say shipped and taxed EU prices but commercial H3 is around the 20-25EUR mark and provincial OS is around 30-35EUR. I think the provincial is worth the money especially since it is available in 2.1mm if anyone cares like I do. I had commercial, provincial and national and the biggest difference I found was the weight decreased as the grade went up while they were better factory boosted.

Ah this time wasted on trying rubbers other than H3...congrats on returning to the classics.
Great post.

It's kinda sad that DHS doesn't have TG2 Provincial orange sponge variant, only blue sponge(even that was released in around 2017 only, I think)...I've tried H3 BS and didn't like the throw angle and there was little tackiness. Boosted TG2 OS commercial gives me a lot of safety for power loops because of tackiness.

Or MAYBE that actually means that TG2 sponge is already good enough, like prov quality? Cause it feels very stable to me. Or MAYBE that's just pimple structure ... who knows :)
I like to make it hard for myself until I go back to the basics. On a more "arc-ey" blade like W968 I would probably go with the BS but on a fast and hard blade I feel more comfortable with the OS.
For me, the BS has some great feeling on my hand but it doesn't do anything extra to the ball it's just purely good for my entertainment and the issue is that it breaks more easily.
But over time people find different feelings with seemingly dull rubbers too, so the once coveted BS is still OK but I can find more subtle or just different feelings with OS.

I feel like its hard to discuss DHS rubbers because every sheet is so different. I just glued a commercial H3 onto my blade, and its not slow at all. it bounces quite high.

I have owned a ton of H3Ns and bought and glued a lot to others too and I never once experienced huge variations. The sheets were if anything very consistent. Did the commercial H3Ns have some marks on the topsheet? Sure, they were not perfect but does it make a difference? I don't believe so.
I think H3N is a lot more consistent than many ESN rubbers.

I have not been disappointed by H3 neo orange sponge commercial. Do they take a while to break in? Yes. Do they eventually break in? Yes. Have I needed to throw away some sheets here and there? Not, really. You just have to be patient in breaking it in. Once the sheets are a bit worn out, they play the best. Need to boost it once or twice after a couple months.

Like @Zwill

I have tried various H3 replacement: Sanwei Target National, Big Dipper blue sponge 40 and 38 degree, AK-47 red, Battle 2 orange sponge, Battle 2 blue sponge, etc. I have always come back to hurricane.

I have no desire to order Loki Arthur China or Rxton 9. What is the point?
I have never been disappointed in H3N OS, it's always the same, which is my point against Michael. I don't get people saying it is not tacky anymore etc etc. I really don't see the huge difference in play. I don't care so much how long it lifts the ball, that is a super passive testing method, that has zero meaning in actual play.
Other clones have their place and fan base and that's great. I know people who love the Big Dipper, and I see why. It's a good rubber, and to someone who hasn't got the power to use H3 or the will to smear gooey oil on it to make it work better BD is a fine choice. In fact, it may be a superior choice over H3. But if someone has the power then it falls short miserably.
That being said I commend Yinhe that they add the primer and glue on the sponge of BD, I have seen some Chinese rubbers where the sponge peeled off from the blade. The glue was attached to the blade but it peeled from the sponge. This will never happen with BD or H3N.

With the Nittaku rubbers rubbers I think the problem is that there is no choice for hardness. But there is a choice for thickness, so some defenders buy the Nittaku H3 with thinner sponges since it's not available from "DHS".

The Nittaku Turbos are pretty good too but heavy AF. The Nittaku H3 Turbo Blue would be a great rubber, maybe the perfect rubber if it wasn't 62-65g cut. That is just nuts for normal players unless they have thin sponge short pips on BH which are light AF. Or they are choppers and have thin sponge long pips on one side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
I haven't tried Rxton5. I quite like these fun off-brands but not sure why I should buy it over H3N.

Yeah, these are just cold hard facts. I am not thinking of just buying a H3N OS provincial since to be totally honest it's not expensive. I will say shipped and taxed EU prices but commercial H3 is around the 20-25EUR mark and provincial OS is around 30-35EUR. I think the provincial is worth the money especially since it is available in 2.1mm if anyone cares like I do. I had commercial, provincial and national and the biggest difference I found was the weight decreased as the grade went up while they were better factory boosted.

I like to make it hard for myself until I go back to the basics. On a more "arc-ey" blade like W968 I would probably go with the BS but on a fast and hard blade I feel more comfortable with the OS.
For me, the BS has some great feeling on my hand but it doesn't do anything extra to the ball it's just purely good for my entertainment and the issue is that it breaks more easily.
But over time people find different feelings with seemingly dull rubbers too, so the once coveted BS is still OK but I can find more subtle or just different feelings with OS.

I have owned a ton of H3Ns and bought and glued a lot to others too and I never once experienced huge variations. The sheets were if anything very consistent. Did the commercial H3Ns have some marks on the topsheet? Sure, they were not perfect but does it make a difference? I don't believe so.
I think H3N is a lot more consistent than many ESN rubbers.

I have never been disappointed in H3N OS, it's always the same, which is my point against Michael. I don't get people saying it is not tacky anymore etc etc. I really don't see the huge difference in play. I don't care so much how long it lifts the ball, that is a super passive testing method, that has zero meaning in actual play.
Other clones have their place and fan base and that's great. I know people who love the Big Dipper, and I see why. It's a good rubber, and to someone who hasn't got the power to use H3 or the will to smear gooey oil on it to make it work better BD is a fine choice. In fact, it may be a superior choice over H3. But if someone has the power then it falls short miserably.
That being said I commend Yinhe that they add the primer and glue on the sponge of BD, I have seen some Chinese rubbers where the sponge peeled off from the blade. The glue was attached to the blade but it peeled from the sponge. This will never happen with BD or H3N.

With the Nittaku rubbers rubbers I think the problem is that there is no choice for hardness. But there is a choice for thickness, so some defenders buy the Nittaku H3 with thinner sponges since it's not available from "DHS".

The Nittaku Turbos are pretty good too but heavy AF. The Nittaku H3 Turbo Blue would be a great rubber, maybe the perfect rubber if it wasn't 62-65g cut. That is just nuts for normal players unless they have thin sponge short pips on BH which are light AF. Or they are choppers and have thin sponge long pips on one side.
A few comments.

I have a sheet of Rxton 5. You can skip it. I find Rxton 3 pink, Rxton 3 blue and Rxton 5 to be about the same. Not very tacky. Sponge is kind of dead. However, I do like Rxton 1 plus with its black "carbon" sponge (the sponge looks like Xiom black "carbon" sponge except Xiom's sponge has catapult effects while Rxton 1 plus has no catapult effect whatsoever) because Rxton 1 plus at about $11-$13 or so is a pretty good rubber.

For me, I went on a journey to try various Chinese rubbers and find that I like Mecury II (tacky like heck; the closest thing to the older Hurricanes in terms of tackiness but no catapult effect in the sponge), Sanwei T88 Ultraspin and Rxton 1 plus, but that's because these rubbers are prices at $8-$13 including tax and shipping from Aliexpress. To me, the price matters. It moves my expectation for these rubbers. If a new player wants to get started in table tennis, I would easily recommend a cheap all wood Neottec blade with Mercury II, Sanwei T88 Ultraspin or Rxton 1 plus and go from there. Great set up for beginners! And when they get more serious and want to advance, then I would recommend them keeping the same blade and try Hurricane 3 (regular, not neo) if they want chinese or Xiom Vega Intro if they want to start going down the tensor route.

I am not impressed by Sanwei Target National, Big Dipper blue sponge 40 and 38 degree, AK-47 red, Battle 2 orange sponge, Battle 2 blue sponge, Rxton 3, Rxton 5, etc. They just don't have what I want in terms of grippiness/tackiness and catapult effect in the sponge. I know some people like them so they should go and get it.

@Tony's Table Tennis I think he put Rxton 3 pink on the backside of his RPB and he enjoyed it very much. He said he just needed to hit it a bit harder to bring out the sponge.

My backhand by contrast is lazy. I am used to soft, tensor ESN rubbers.

For me, after buying all the rubbers on Aliexpress to replace hurricane, I am now at a point where why waste the money? Just buy more Hurricane.

It is like, some people believe Butterfly is the best. Butterfly does last forever. So paying $70 a sheet for T05 or $85 a sheet for D05 and make it last a year or so is cheaper than changing your ESN rubbers 2-3 times a year! I agree. Then they should not buy a bunch of stuff they don't like.

For me, I like Hurricane so I don't want to waste money EJ'ing on some stuff to replace hurricane on my forehand.

Finally, the new Hurricane is not as tacky as the old ones. I am not talking about holding the ball in the air for 10 seconds vs 5 seconds. It is just not as tacky. I don't know if the tackiness will wear off faster. However, the sponge is still the same as before so I am sticking with Hurricane still.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023

You should buy those at same manufactured period, don't compare 3 years ago one with the new one recently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
@Tony's Table Tennis I think he put Rxton 3 pink on the backside of his RPB and he enjoyed it very much. He said he just needed to hit it a bit harder to bring out the sponge.

with a touch of sesame oil,
I mean booster oil

yeah, really enjoyed it.
Pink has lost its topsheet now, so I'm using blue. Both sample were tried at the same time, but blue was stored away all this time.
R9 red and R3 blue pairing.

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2023
Have you compared H3 and H3N during same period?

I had a very slow and tacky H3N, but a much less tacky and quite fast H3
I don't have any h3 C on hand now, but for the N bs 41 degree, I don't feel any big difference, OS 37degree I still don't feel any difference, for more than 3 sheets for each, I can't tell the difference, the only difference I can tell is boosted and unboosted. For commercial one, I suggest you buy from the same seller .

says nothing
says nothing
Apr 2021
Read 1 reviews
I like TG3 Neo better than H3 Neo, don't know if the Skyline is created for Penholders or not but I got better shots with TG3 than H3, mostly due to its lower throw.

Too bad it is not as popular as H3 so there're only a few variations of TG3, and they are not good as H3 variations. For example the TG3 Pro Blue Sponge is hard to get, and they breaks easily. The best I could get was TG3 Neo Market (with 2 layers of Falco). But that was 8-9 years ago. Nowadays I see people only talk about H3 :oops:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I think both H3 and H3 neo are less tacky.

I also opened a couple packages of the new hurricane skyline/TG 2 and 3 neo. They are also less tack. Oh well....
Guys I came to the dark side today. I put a red dignics 09c and black Hurricane 3 neo on my viscaria. They appear to have about the same amount of tackiness.