BEST MEDIUM PIPS for both chopping and attacking?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2025
291
302
862
Read 1 reviews
Spend some time with the robot comparing pips. 388 D2 was with a custom 1.3mm 52 degree dense sponge. Added SP for fun, D3 in 1.5mm. The rest are the same as on the table.

Blocking topspin: Ilius B > SDK > P2V = Ilius S >> D3 > 388 D2
Attacking short underspin: Ilius B > D3 = SDK > P2V = Ilius S >> 388 D2
Attacking long underspin: D3>> SDK= Ilius B> P2V > Ilius S >> 388 D2
Chopping topspin: Ilius S > D3 > P2V=SDK> Ilius B >> 388 D2
Spin on chop and push: D3 >> all
Overal best: Ilius S on fast carbon blade or SDK on all wood

388 D2 is just not for me. Short passive game is ok, everything else is not. The harder sponge helps with the springyness, but the rubber remains inconsistent in active strokes. D3 is closer to inverted than to MP, the spin is surprisingly high. The sponge is very soft, but dense, with good cushioning. Have the nicest feel of control, until you need to deal with incoming spin. Ilius B has a very loud sound in attack, always fun to play with. A good attacking LP that is still not popular.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
397
261
1,070
First impressions from P2V 1mm on BH, blade Sword Razor. Not as spiny as P3V and P3aV, the same hard dampening sponge, better block, feels slow, slower than SDK. I was able to produce spin variation only on services, Ovcharov style. There is some sinking effect, but it requires extra effort for lifting the ball over the net. Choping near the table is not effective. SDK in 1.4mm is overall easier and offers more spin. I will try it on a faster blade and will update the post.

Update: With Goriki Super Drive, P2V was faster and slightly more precise in block. Unfortunately, the spin in choping and looping was lower and not enough for me. There is more unconsitensy in pasive play near the net. Service receive and fast change of pace is still good, but I have other pips with this properties.
Honestly I can't imagine what this P2V is good for. Medium pips in general are a mystery to me though.
I recently removed the P3aV from my bat due to curiosity with other LPs. That is a really fun rubber. P3aV isn't at all spinny though compared to Yinhe 955 or even feint 2. Of them, 955 is a genuine LP that can be used to attack and spin the ball. I rec. that over a MP FS. It can be used like a MP but also gives occasional lunatic balls. Probably not good for me so I'm gonna move on but worthh a try if you're an MP curious type.
Def. long or short for me. MP aren't either confusing or aggressive enough to be a fun or effective tool imo.
Love the thread though. Good topic and well presented.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
397
261
1,070
Ah yes, the classic "Give me a rubber that does everything well and has no weaknesses" request!

Robo is right - All of those medium pips are fairly toothless when it comes to spin variation for chopping. You cannot add appreciable spin very easily, and they do not reverse the spin very well either. Essentially, you return a relatively low amount of spin, regardless of what shot or technique you utilize. Yes, it can be controlled and kept low and done consistently... However, there is no effect of increasing spin that you receive from long pips. And there is no ability to power up the spin that short pip/inverted affords you.

You may be better off trying a long pip rubber on a very thick sponge. At least with this setup, when you brush aggressively and dig into the sponge, it will increase the spin! Attacks will feel mushier, less forceful.

Also, keep in mind that attacking with long pips (especially low friction ones) is not done the same way attacking with MP/SP/Inv is performed. You need more of a sideways swiping motion, raking across the ball - not driving directly forward (for most shots, unless you get a high/short ball).
This
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2025
291
302
862
Read 1 reviews
Honestly I can't imagine what this P2V is good for. Medium pips in general are a mystery to me though.
I recently removed the P3aV from my bat due to curiosity with other LPs. That is a really fun rubber. P3aV isn't at all spinny though compared to Yinhe 955 or even feint 2. Of them, 955 is a genuine LP that can be used to attack and spin the ball. I rec. that over a MP FS. It can be used like a MP but also gives occasional lunatic balls. Probably not good for me so I'm gonna move on but worthh a try if you're an MP curious type.
Def. long or short for me. MP aren't either confusing or aggressive enough to be a fun or effective tool imo.
Love the thread though. Good topic and well presented.
How strange, people can have very opposite impressions for the same equipment. I tried green 955 in ox and nothing from my set of hits worked effectively. With 1 mm custom 45 degrees sponge behaved better, but spin was less than P3aV, even less than P3V.

MP are more consistent in contra attacking and blocking topspin. There is huge difference between SDK and 388C-1/3. SDK is closer to stiff and gripy long pips, such as Ilius S/B. The sinking trajectory is obvious and can add some distrubtion. 388C-1/3 are hard and not gripy pips close to SP. They can block and contra attack relatively well, just don't add significant spin or spin variation to the game. Fast service from your opponent and the return is higher ball without any spin, easy loss point.
P2V is something in between, closer to SDK than to 388C-3. I am thinking to try it with 1.5mm sponge in hope to add more spin.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J-fed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
397
261
1,070
How strange, people can have very opposite impressions for the same equipment. I tried green 955 in ox and nothing from my set of hits worked effectively. With 1 mm custom 45 degrees sponge behaved better, but spin was less than P3aV, even less than P3V.

MP are more consistent in contra attacking and blocking topspin. There is huge difference between SDK and 388C-1/3. SDK is closer to stiff and gripy long pips, such as Ilius S/B. The sinking trajectory is obvious and can add some distrubtion. 388C-1/3 are hard and not gripy pips close to SP. They can block and contra attack relatively well, just don't add significant spin or spin variation to the game. Fast service from your opponent and the return is higher ball without any spin, easy loss point.
P2V is something in between, closer to SDK than to 388C-3. I am thinking to try it with 1.5mm sponge in hope to add more spin.
Ooof. 955 is horrible for sweeps. That's a big part of my LP game so 955 is good for attack but it's not for me.
Much to digest. In fairness I've no idea what SDK and 388C-1/3 are.
Still I'm highly suspicious of MP.
955 seems like it would be useless as OX. It's good as an attack rubber in 0.7. You can batter choppers with it and punch potential is good. No idea why it would be chosen as an OX.
Anyway. I enjoyed the 5 dollar experiment but have ordered a neptune. Daiwei seem like the end game though. Or feint. I hate to admit it but yes, it was good.
 
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2025
291
302
862
Read 1 reviews
Ooof. So much to digest. In fairness I've no idea what SDK and 388C-1/3 are.
Modern rubber naming is bezerk. Worse than cars.
Still I'm highly suspicious of MP.
Yeah. 955 seems like it would be useless as OX. It's good as an attack rubber. You can batter choppers with it and punch potential is good.
Anyway. I enjoyed the 5 dollar experiment but have ordered a neptune.
955 is horrible for sweeps. That's a big part of my LP game so 955 is good for attack but it's not for me.
SDK = Nittaku Super Do Knuckle
Dawei 388C-1 and 388C-3, for me they are similar as example of very hard and not gripy pips.
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
397
261
1,070
SDK = Nittaku Super Do Knuckle
Dawei 388C-1 and 388C-3, for me they are similar as example of very hard and not gripy pips.
I saw Daiwei Saviga 5 today as I was making frenzied MTB and TT equipment purchases. I assume that is different? P3aV is not at all grippy so I guess that's like one of those 388s??
Sheesh. Why they make the naming so brutally difficult?
 
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2025
291
302
862
Read 1 reviews
I saw Daiwei Saviga 5 today as I was making frenzied MTB and TT equipment purchases. I assume that is different? P3aV is not at all grippy so I guess that's like one of those 388s??
Sheesh. Why they make the naming so brutally difficult?
To buy more, and never know what will be.

Never tried Saviga. My P3aV is very gripy, not comparable with 388C-1 or 3. 388D-1 is closer, as soft and long pips rubber.
 
  • Like
Reactions: J-fed
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Member
Jun 2026
397
261
1,070
To buy more, and never know what will be.

Never tried Saviga. My P3aV is very gripy, not comparable with 388C-1 or 3. 388D-1 is closer, as soft and long pips rubber.
My P3aV is honestly comical. No one has a clue what's coming next. I just about mastered it then curiosity of what else is out there got the better of me. Def. not ruling out going back to it (it might even be on my spare bat).
 
Top