Forehand Loop Under Pressure

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hi everyone. Everyone tells me that my forehand loop is great, and it is my best shot, like most people. I also drop back a lot to put more spin and arc on it. The problem is that when I drop back and my opponent drops back, I am ok—until I'm in a tournament, and my consistency drops a lot. One opponent was hitting with me after he beat me and he liked my loop from far back. He said, "why do you get nervous when you drop back from the table in a tournament?" And I guess that is one of my weaknesses, and it's a bad one. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot. I am not sure if this is the right category for this post, so I'm sorry if it is not.

Thanks again!

agold

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looping or counterlooping from distance is one of the least things to worry about at the USATT 1000 level.

There are MANY things that are more easily improved that will profit your level than just being able to loop and reloop from distance.

- Serve/Attack

- Serve receive (prolly most important or damned close)

- rally strokes / connecting shots

- point construction

- reading spin

- basic tactics

- consistency

- stroke recovery / balance

- proper position / anticipation

- proper stance and grip

- proper movement to the ball

Improving these areas will yield a LOT better improvement than worrying about a certain shot.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

Sep 2012
I'm sorry I don't. I have only old ones from a month ago. I am playing a lot so I've improved a lot since then. I could record a club match or my next tournament
If you've improved THAT MUCH in a mere MONTH, then you must be some kind of a table tennis prodigy, dude! :D

Seriously, by this rate, you'll be running circles around Fan Zhendong in a year or so at most. :D

Joking aside, if it's not a problem, go on and record some matches and upload them (club or tourney, doesn't matter, as long as you take it seriously so we'd have something to analyze).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
agold at your level you should be practicing with a coach to get your timing down. Really you just need to hit a certain number of balls until you're familiar with what the ball is doing. Hitting with better players will actually hurt your chances in tournaments since many of the players you will play are going to be less accurate and consistent in spin and/or speed. You will miss quite often because frankly they aren't hitting the ball out to you when you back up. Stay close to the table and loop from there in tournaments, but in practice be sure to train both.

It takes a lot of practice to improve at tournaments I know I stayed the same for a few years before I was getting coached and then I started improving drastically. I'll be playing many more tournaments this and next month so I'm hoping to make another jump.

If you're in need of coaching, I offer many services via youtube and skype. Because I have coaches and friends that are 2500 & above I often will have students record themselves so that I can slow the footage down and then have it shot from a couple angles. After this I send the video out to players like Tim Wang and/or Peter Li and have them record 15 mins or so. Of course they do charge quite a lot, but who wouldn't want advice from some National Champions.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I have a coach I train with. I play about 6 hours a week. I can beat 1200s at my club but not in a tournament. Thanks a lot for your help. I will post a video of me on my tournament this Saturday. I am only in U1400 because that's the only division I'm available for :(. Next time I will take your advice and try and go to lower divisions. Thank you!

M51

M51

Sep 2012
I have a coach I train with. I play about 6 hours a week.
So do I, and I play mostly recreationally (and I compete at the lowest division possible, in fact I have a match in less then three hours time)... If you're serious about the game, then 12 hours a week is a bare minimum.

Last edited:
Reactions: agold and Rajah*
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Yes i agree.. at a competitive level i would advice go for 3 to 4hrs per training session if you could handle 4x a week alternate with physical strengthening legs core cardio resistance that will give you a boost in time you can handle pressure..impt is always always read the incoming ball and remember the spin of the ball that you threw to your opponent

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Yes i undestand we as athletes need to divide time and thats the hard part of it.. whenever youre out of the table and not hitting with your coach you could have time running 10km and do some core strengthening. It will only take you lessthan 2hrs.. so thow us some good news in time.. goodluck and always give them a good fight :)

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Reactions: agold
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
is there a website where i can check my national tt-level?.. because in germany we got ttvr-punkte.. for example im at 1800 and timo Boll is at 2650

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
ollpong, that German rating would get you somewhere around 2100 in US. What league and position on team you play?

A German dud a long time ago wrote a post about comparing USA and German systems. While there is no perfect formula, you might read his post and get an idea roughly...

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17872

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
Hello! My tournament is in 5 hours. I made myself a phone tripod to record the matches :). Thanks so much for your help!

ygaqetag.jpg
a7u8egu8.jpg
huryseqe.jpg
jesaba5e.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2014
Read 6 reviews
I was in the under 15 years old division, and only one other person joined. He was a 1600, and he beat me 11-3, 11-5, and 11-2. I was nervous, and so I was flicking short balls as soon as they bounced. I decided to start pushing and so he decided to start serving short topspin serves and so I started popping everything up. I don't think it is worth posting the video. I will record a match at my club. I did look at the video, though, and I know I need to work on moving my feet in my FH loop. Thank you for your help. I am glad to be in such a nice forum and it is so helpful to be able to post a video on here. I will record a match soon. Thanks! :)

EDIT: Haha I forgot to say I picked up a trophy :). Now I can tell everyone I came in 2nd—out of 2!

Last edited: