why wait to dry the glue?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
So I was gluing my rubbers today. Having a hard time making the glue sit very evenly without creating small lines with the sponge. Also bubbles happened on the rubber sponge part. and small little sand size grainy things. And if you take too long to apply your getting areas already dried and it will crumble if applying further.
I ended up with an ok result int he end however I had a few thoughts:

1) Why not assemble the rubber and racket while the glue is still wet? then put a little pressure on it with a flat board evenly. I imagine the glue would flatten out as its still fluid. this way the glue would be 100% evenly applied.
It would dry out by itself over a short period of time anyway.
?

2) Has anyone tried dropping using sponges for application and use a paint brush instead? Im imagining it would be easier for an even application?

3) this is an unrelated question to glueing but why is it even time I add the protection side tape around the whole rubber/blade side the rubber feels somehow more "muffled" during play? The less tape the better. Doesnt make any sense but I can clearly feel the difference. Thank you.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
It would dry out by itself over a short period of time anyway.
?
the needs the air to be able to evaporate and turn itself into a "contact glue" If we assemble it wet, we are excluding the air to a great extend and it might take quite a long time, if ever, for the proper strength to develop.

I am going into my workshop now and stick some rubber leftovers together wet "all will be revealed" 😂
(within the limits of decency of course :cool:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
the needs the air to be able to evaporate and turn itself into a "contact glue" If we assemble it wet, we are excluding the air to a great extend and it might take quite a long time, if ever, for the proper strength to develop.

I am going into my workshop now and stick some rubber leftovers together wet "all will be revealed" 😂
(within the limits of decency of course :cool:)
appreciate your experimenting :)

Reactions: lodro
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
This is not rocket science. It's water based glue.

Wet the sponge with water before applying the glue. If the glue is still too thick and dries too fast, thin it with a little water until it spreads evenly.

Use a new piece of sponge for every coat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
1) wet glue bonding isn't strong
the longer it dries, the stronger the bond
some players wait hours before gluing.

2) normal glue, people still use brush. water based glue is very thin, and sponge is easier

3) not sure what you mean by muff?

Reactions: Cadoia
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
says Serve, top, edge. Repeat.
May 2020
Read 1 reviews
The glue is designed to be used when dry. If you do it while wet it's simply not gonna stick, and even if it sticks a little, it's gonna feel bad to play with and will take months to dry off. Here we have issues if it's even a little bit wet, if you put it on while it's completely wet it's game over.

Reactions: Cadoia
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

I find her explanation to be the best. The subtitles kind of suck and you need to look behind the meaning but I think the most important part comes through.

Using a brush instead of a sponge is kind of a waste. I am not sure if the brush would be usable after one use. Also the hair is very weak the glue is thick so I think it would be difficult to spread. When I first used these new glues I personally used a credit card to spread. That works!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
The glue is designed to be used when dry. If you do it while wet it's simply not gonna stick, and even if it sticks a little, it's gonna feel bad to play with and will take months to dry off. Here we have issues if it's even a little bit wet, if you put it on while it's completely wet it's game over.
apparently its not that bad gluing them together when wet according to some germans: https://soulspin.de/en/table-tennis-tutorials/wet-gluing-table-tennis-rubbers/

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
apparently its not that bad gluing them together when wet according to some germans: https://soulspin.de/en/table-tennis-tutorials/wet-gluing-table-tennis-rubbers/
after reading this , and watching the tutorial , I have "short-cut" my experiment by 3 hours. So my test was only 21 hours.
I simply added DHS 15 liberally to a piece of rubber and put a second piece on top , placed the lot between 2 pieces of plate glass and placed a rock on top.
Result : the glue has fully dried.
the bond is rubbish and maybe only 40% as strong as when
done the normal way

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
after reading this , and watching the tutorial , I have "short-cut" my experiment by 3 hours. So my test was only 21 hours.
I simply added DHS 15 liberally to a piece of rubber and put a second piece on top , placed the lot between 2 pieces of plate glass and placed a rock on top.
Result : the glue has fully dried.
the bond is rubbish and maybe only 40% as strong as when
done the normal way
am I to understand you didnt glue it on an wooden racket right?
ill be gluing rubber to a racket tomorrow using the wet method myself to see how this goes.

Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2024
correct, just 2 bits of rubber together
ok ill try with wood to rubber tomorrow then.
should take 13 hours to complete if following the german videos guidelines.
I like the idea of letting the glue itself spread out evenly under little pressure.
I cant see why this wouldn't bond as well as the dry method in my mind since either method ends up dry anyway.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
3) this is an unrelated question to glueing but why is it even time I add the protection side tape around the whole rubber/blade side the rubber feels somehow more "muffled" during play? The less tape the better. Doesnt make any sense but I can clearly feel the difference. Thank you.

I hate edge tape. I don't use it. I also like how it looks better without edge tape. But edge tape also adds weight to the head of your blade. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it either.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
3) not sure what you mean by muff?

The verb is muffle; past tense muffled:

verb (used with object)

, muf·fled, muf·fling. to wrap with something to deaden or prevent sound: to muffle drums. to deaden (sound) by wrappings or other means.