Please help me fix my glueing mistakes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I'm trying to learn how to glue rubbers myself, but it seems i'm doing something wrong.
  1. The rubbers i glued myself are noticably slower (bounce up to 15% less when ball is dropped from height) than the same rubbers glued by the staff of the store.
    I can even hear the difference, the bounce from the rubbers i glued myself is different - more dull i would say.

2. I'm also observing that those sides where i put less glue actually bounce more than sides where i put more glue ... which is contrary what everybody says (that more glue should make the paddle faster).

3. When i tried to start over, i found out that the glue is impossible to remove from the rubber. I have been watching all these videos about removing a glue where a guy simply grabs the glue in one corner and strips it off the rubber easily like a continuous substance. But in my case the glue is torn into small pieces, half on the rubber, half on the blade. and they don't want to go off the sponge at all, or if i try really hard, i tear the sponge with it.
I use Butterfly Free Chack, and when i emailed the store they told me they use the same glue.
So i must be doing something totaly wrong. Any ideas?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
I don't think glue makes paddle faster. I would put just enough glue so that it firmly sticks, but not extra glue. Most people I see put too much glue for my liking, and it starts to impact the feeling of the rubber.

So, I don't know specifically what you're doing wrong. But why don't you try again with less glue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I use free chack 2. It may be possible that you put the rubber onto the blade before they fully dried.
Also you need to find the perfect amount of glue - not too little and not too much.

I agree that this is most likely the issue. Personally I am not much of a fan of the Butterfly glues; I prefer Nittaku Finezip/Stiga Attach Power Glue (possibly the same glue!) as well as good old Copy Dex. With these three it is very easy to peel off the glue.
But time is -imho- the main issue when applying the glue onto the sponge, i. e. to let each layer dry until it becomes fully transparent, as well as to apply the glue very evenly. I let each glue layer (2-3 onto the sponge and 1-2 onto each blade side) dry for at least 30 min., sometimes 45 or so. Some people use hair dryer to speed up the process, of course at rather low temperature; if it is too hot, the glue becomes mushy and you face pretty much the same issues OP described.
Last but not least it is necessary to apply sufficient pressure when putting the rubber onto the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2022
To remove glue from a rubber, I put on a nice thick coat of new glue on top of the old glue, then it will remove very easily. I don't bother using a sponge, I use my finger to spread the glue.

Put on a thick coat, let it dry, if it still won't come off in big pieces put another coat of glue on. I use tearmender.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2024
I agree that this is most likely the issue. Personally I am not much of a fan of the Butterfly glues; I prefer Nittaku Finezip/Stiga Attach Power Glue (possibly the same glue!) as well as good old Copy Dex. With these three it is very easy to peel off the glue.
But time is -imho- the main issue when applying the glue onto the sponge, i. e. to let each layer dry until it becomes fully transparent, as well as to apply the glue very evenly. I let each glue layer (2-3 onto the sponge and 1-2 onto each blade side) dry for at least 30 min., sometimes 45 or so. Some people use hair dryer to speed up the process, of course at rather low temperature; if it is too hot, the glue becomes mushy and you face pretty much the same issues OP described.
Last but not least it is necessary to apply sufficient pressure when putting the rubber onto the blade.
I always waited until the white color of the glue disappears, but that was usually around 5 minutes.
I took your advice and let it dry for 30 minutes, then put something heavy on the rubber over night.
The result is much better now. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I always waited until the white color of the glue disappears, but that was usually around 5 minutes.
I took your advice and let it dry for 30 minutes, then put something heavy on the rubber over night.
The result is much better now. Thanks.
That's great. Glad we could help you with this issue.
Yes, some glues (slightly) fade to transparent after 5-10 min., but still, 5 minutes is/was just not enough for a rubber to keep sticking on a blade. I'm sure it wouldn't work with any current VOC-free glue.