Recommendation, upgrading from MX-P to Dignics 09C or MK?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
Current equipment:

Blade: Innerforce ZLC
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Dignics 05 (from Tibhar EL-P)

I am a tall average player (USATT: 1500) who tends to play away from the table. I had a lot of confidence in my backhand and switching from Tibhar EL-P to Dignics 05 was magical. I thought I would lack control but definitely not the case. Love it.

Forehand though, other story. Not great technique or consistency. I started with Tibhar MX-P, then tried Tenergy-05 for a while, hated it. Could not control the ball at all. Switched back to MX-P and that has allowed me to develop my stroke more. Even though it’s not super easy to control, I at least know why I’m missing certain shots, where with the tenergy I had absolutely no idea. My FH stroke is a bit better now, I can use it to win a few points.

I am looking to switch to a rubber that allows me to improve my stroke on the FH, to gain confidence in it.

Flipping the paddle, I can see that the dignics 05 is a marginal improvement over the MX-P. For some reason it is not as bad as the tenergy, though I can’t say if it’s because my technique improved or if the rubber is just different. However, cause of friends and youtube videos, I am mostly considering the MK and the Dignics 09C. I have never played with tacky rubbers and all the reviews I see don’t take into consideration the development of the stroke.

I am somewhat used to the high arc of the MX-P, so the Dignics 09C seems more attactive. However, a lot of people praise MK for its control, though I am concerned about adjusting to a lower throw.

Any advice from people who have dealt with this at some point? Recommendations between 09C and MK? Other rubbers to consider? Or just keep at it with a rubber I understand (MX-P)?

Reactions: kindof99
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Current equipment:

Blade: Innerforce ZLC
FH: Tibhar MX-P
BH: Dignics 05 (from Tibhar EL-P)

I am a tall average player (USATT: 1500) who tends to play away from the table. I had a lot of confidence in my backhand and switching from Tibhar EL-P to Dignics 05 was magical. I thought I would lack control but definitely not the case. Love it.

Forehand though, other story. Not great technique or consistency. I started with Tibhar MX-P, then tried Tenergy-05 for a while, hated it. Could not control the ball at all. Switched back to MX-P and that has allowed me to develop my stroke more. Even though it’s not super easy to control, I at least know why I’m missing certain shots, where with the tenergy I had absolutely no idea. My FH stroke is a bit better now, I can use it to win a few points.

I am looking to switch to a rubber that allows me to improve my stroke on the FH, to gain confidence in it.

Flipping the paddle, I can see that the dignics 05 is a marginal improvement over the MX-P. For some reason it is not as bad as the tenergy, though I can’t say if it’s because my technique improved or if the rubber is just different. However, cause of friends and youtube videos, I am mostly considering the MK and the Dignics 09C. I have never played with tacky rubbers and all the reviews I see don’t take into consideration the development of the stroke.

I am somewhat used to the high arc of the MX-P, so the Dignics 09C seems more attactive. However, a lot of people praise MK for its control, though I am concerned about adjusting to a lower throw.

Any advice from people who have dealt with this at some point? Recommendations between 09C and MK? Other rubbers to consider? Or just keep at it with a rubber I understand (MX-P)?
I don't know. how did you like EL-P when you had it? did you switch the blade and try EL-P on your forehand?

I am using EL-P on my backhand and I love it. So not changing it. EL-P is also more affordable than Tenergy and Dignics.

Like you, I hated Tenergy. Not sure what the appeal is.

Going from MX-P to hard sponge hybrid is going to be a big adjustment. That's why I am asking if you liked EL-P. If money is not a concern, then try D09c. You like D05 so far. You can also try other cheaper hybrids to see if you like it before throwing money at D09c. Rakza Z or rather Rakza Z hard might be interesting. To be honest, I love my low throw on my Chinese rubber on my forehand. I tried Rakza Z and the throw angle was so high, I ripped the rubber off. But if you like high throw angle, then perhaps try Rakza Z hard which is a bit faster than Rakza Z.

Reactions: kindof99
@JJ Ng The appeal is shooting canon balls when playing a bit behind the table. In a way that is not possible with H3. I do miss that… but the short game drawbacks are just too great.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: JJ Ng
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2023
I don't know. how did you like EL-P when you had it? did you switch the blade and try EL-P on your forehand?

I am using EL-P on my backhand and I love it. So not changing it. EL-P is also more affordable than Tenergy and Dignics.

Like you, I hated Tenergy. Not sure what the appeal is.

Going from MX-P to hard sponge hybrid is going to be a big adjustment. That's why I am asking if you liked EL-P. If money is not a concern, then try D09c. You like D05 so far. You can also try other cheaper hybrids to see if you like it before throwing money at D09c. Rakza Z or rather Rakza Z hard might be interesting. To be honest, I love my low throw on my Chinese rubber on my forehand. I tried Rakza Z and the throw angle was so high, I ripped the rubber off. But if you like high throw angle, then perhaps try Rakza Z hard which is a bit faster than Rakza Z.

I loved the EL-P on the backhand. It had a sick loop against underspin and massive blocking control. Really good for short-mid distance. The reason D05 appealed more to me is that I can do strong backhands and counter backhands away from the table with much higher quality. I do miss the sizzling loop against underspin but to me that was a worthwhile trade-off.

As for the high arc, I don’t know how much that matters to me yet, I’ve never used anything other than the MXP
for a few years.

How about just flip D05 to the forehand and give it a try? MK or D09C is hybrid, and quite different from MXP. D05 is closer.

I mentioned this above, but I did try it. It was alright and a small improvement with pros/cons, but wouldn’t justify the switch. I don’t mind switching to a hybrid rubber to experiment, I’m just concerned that I will hurt my rate of improvement if any of those rubbers are unpredictable or have quirks that I’m not familiar with

Reactions: JJ Ng