Got me a 1 ply kiso-hinoki jpen

says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
says ESN 42 hardness is my magic number
Mar 2021
IMG_8666.jpeg

IMG_8667.jpeg

Reactions: JeffreyMG and Lazer
If you just want to have fun, not competing with the Jpen, and money is no object, then why not get a sheet of Bryce Speed and speed glue the hell out of it. Authentic JPen feeling from the 2000s :D
Yes just for fun, thats the plan,.
Why not... thanks

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
It's very much a Goldilocks thing.

I find to get the absolute maximum popping catapult out (ie: fun 😎😎) of Hinoki, you want a rubber that will bottom out, just a little bit, so plan around that

I find what works best is a grippy (non-hybrid) rubber with a soft to medium-hard and semi-springy top sheet. A lot of the modern top sheets are very hard, and can interfere a bit with the rubber bottoming out the way you want it to, so I'd avoid anything too new .

Same rules apply with the sponge - anything above 47 degrees is typically too hard, and anything under 38 degrees is sometimes (but not always) too soft. 40 -44 degrees is about right in my experience, and even then, don't go with Max sponge version unless you have had a chance to try it out first.

My four personal favourite hinoki-frirndly rubbers ( in descending order of blade effect) are:

- Ak-47 Blue in max
- Joola Energy Xtra Green Power 2.0mm sponge
- AK-47 Redin max sponge
- Tenergy 05 with1.8mm sponge.

Hope this helps. Have fun! 😎😎

Reactions: Lazer
In my stash I have
- Xiom Vega Europe Max
- Yasaka Rakza 7 soft Max

I cant see myself using them any time soon, Will they work or are they too thick?
If not I was thinking maybe getting Mark V 1,5mm?

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
In my stash I have
- Xiom Vega Europe Max
- Yasaka Rakza 7 soft Max

I cant see myself using them any time soon, Will they work or are they too thick?
If not I was thinking maybe getting Mark V 1,5mm?

Cheers
L-zr
The R7S *might* work, as they are basically a greatly upgraded version of the AK47 blue.

That said, I personally have trouble bottoming out my own R7S, as the sponge is a good 'impact insulator' for the blade.

The AK47 Blue however lets much more force through the sponge from the get go,... It basically partially relies on the blade's energy / resistance to generate speed, rather than just the density and elasticity of the sponge itself.

Haven't used a Vega Europe in a long time, but as I recall they're springy, light, and bottom-out pretty easily... so yeah -- that might work nicely.

If in doubt, you can safely go with the 1.5mm Mark V... It's always been a spinny rubber on softer all wood blades, and 1.5mm on a hinoki one ply should bottom out okay.

Though seriously dude, if you're going to buy a rubber solely for having a fun hit with this blade, if I were you, I would just buy a set of AK47 blues and be done with it.

At $18 a pop they're a lot cheaper and a shitload faster than the Mark V on every measure, and a full set costs much less than any the current solitary rubbers you're considering. They also spin like all buggery on a one-ply (almost tenergy-like at times 🤯), and just hit that tiny, fussy, persnickety little Hinoki-effect Goldilocks zone fully and square squarely between the eyes every time... (...with a goddamn sledgehammer!!! 😎😎😎😜)

Last edited:
The R7S *might* work, as they are basically an upgraded version of the AK47 blue.

That said, I personally have trouble bottoming out my own R7S, as the sponge is a good 'impact insulator' for the blade -- the sponge basically just compresses more as you ramp up your swinging power, only to reach a plateau of sorts at your maximum power.... It never actually fully bottoms out -- The rubber relies on it's sponge for speed
and not the blade.

The AK47 Blue however lets much more force through the sponge from the get go,... It basically partially relies on the blade's energy / resistance to generate speed, rather than just the density and elasticity of the sponge itself.

Haven't used a Vega Europe in aong time, but as I recall they bottom-out pretty easily, so yeah -- that could also work.

If in doubt, go with the 1.5mm Mark V... It's always been a spinny rubber on softer all wood blades, and 1.5mm
on a hinoki one ply should bottom out very nicely.

Though seriously dude, if you're going to buy a rubber solely for having a fun hit with this blade, if I were you, I would just buy a set of AK47 blues and be done with it. At $18 a pop they're a lot cheaper and a shitload faster than the Mark V on every measure, they spin like all buggery on a one-ply (almost tenergy-like at times 🤯), and in terms of hardness / softness of both topsheet and rubber, (in my experience at least), they basically hit that tiny, fussy, persnickety little Hinoki-effect Goldilocks zone fully and square squarely between the eyes every time... (...with a goddamn sledgehammer!!! 😎😎😎😜)
The thing is I can get Mark V from my club right over the counter. No shipment charges bla bla bla.
Rakza 7 SFF_Lib mentioned , I think I have those as well.

But I think I can get AK47 blue from Mocker...

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Wakkibatty
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
says Gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci gang, gucci...
Jul 2014
Whenever I have used soft sponge on single ply Hinoki I always feel a lack of support, these blades are stiff but they are also quite soft. I have had a better feeling from a medium to medium hard sponge and grippy topsheet, like with Donic Baracuda or Vega X, I think hybrids like Yinhe Big Dipper would also work really well

Reactions: Lazer